What will we look back on from the COVID crisis: Positive, Amusing, Frustrating

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: What will we look back on from the COVID crisis: Positive, Amusing, Frustrating

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Seats? Not a problem for cyclists, one sits all the time when riding, one should stand while resting/eating :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
sjs

Re: What will we look back on from the COVID crisis: Positive, Amusing, Frustrating

Post by sjs »

mercalia wrote:Clapham Commons answer to "only come here for exercise"

WP_20200419_15_45_25_Pro.jpg

all the seats have been taped off. Petty?

I would say so. There's been a thread about taping off the local benches on our village farcebook site.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Positive:
Lovely to see people out walking who I’ve not seen do before. Great to see families out on bikes enjoying the quiet roads.

Amusing:
Seeing the different levels of worry to non worry shown by people on this forum. It’s quite normal and having lived through all this sort of nonsense with F&M I’ve seen all these opinions before. Big difference is in those F&M days those that got it were better off than those that didn’t. Not sure that’s obvious with CV yet.

Frustrating::
Having to go shopping every week, instead of every 2or3 weeks, trying to get things we like. This lack of bread flour is appalling and our Brexit emergency shelf has certainly dwindled.
Not being away in the caravan or on my bike. The only thing that gets me through the final weeks of winter is the thought of adventure. The thought of getting through next winter without some adventure this summer is unthinkable.
People and journalists can’t seem to differentiate between people shielding and those self isolating. What we all need to know is if they were shielding how did they catch the virus. Where’s the weak point in the actions we are told to do or is the reality those who caught it let down their guard?
Those people I saw out walking at the start have now grown bored with it and sitting in the house.
My biggest frustration though is why on Earth can’t Donald Trump get a bad dose of it!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Paulatic wrote:Those people I saw out walking at the start have now grown bored with it and sitting in the house.

I think it's true of cycling too. I think the `let's pull the bikes out of the back of the shed and go for a ride' activity has already plateaued and is on a downward curve. And though it's a shame to say l think most of those enjoying quieter roads will not continue when some form of normality resumes. It's been fun though to see so many ill fitting bike helmets at wonky angles!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Those people I saw out walking at the start have now grown bored with it and sitting in the house.

I think it's true of cycling too. I think the `let's pull the bikes out of the back of the shed and go for a ride' activity has already plateaued and is on a downward curve. And though it's a shame to say l think most of those enjoying quieter roads will not continue when some form of normality resumes. It's been fun though to see so many ill fitting bike helmets at wonky angles!

well I did a short ( evercise ride ) from Streatham ->waterloo bridge -> The Strand/Trafgar sqr -> The mall/hydepark -> battersea park -> clapham common then home and the only things in evidence were bikes esp the Santander ones
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mercalia wrote:well I did a short ( evercise ride ) from Streatham ->waterloo bridge -> The Strand/Trafgar sqr -> The mall/hydepark -> battersea park -> clapham common then home and the only things in evidence were bikes esp the Santander ones

Try living where there are some hillls.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well we might be about to add another island to the British Empire?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52354865

Coronavirus: Branson offers Caribbean island to secure Virgin bailout. Sir Richard Branson has pledged his luxury island resort as collateral to help get a UK government bailout of his stricken airline Virgin Atlantic.

I bet the tories are salivering at the prospect of some where to get away from it all, at the tax payers expence?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

T-800

Post by T-800 »

Positive:-
Time off!
Getting "furloughed" on Sunday for at least 3 weeks.Pity it's not for the next 8 years :lol:

Amusing:-
Watching the mass hysteria and listening to some of the "theories" banded about.

Frustrating:-
Constantly seeing/hearing lockdown when we clearly are not anywhere near a lockdown but the press said it and everyone seems to have run with it.
Idiots shouting "TWO METRES" when you're actually further away than 2m.
"Social distancing" in general.Like "credit crunch" and "Brexit" more media made up phrasing that everyone has adopted.
All the clapping for everyone nonsense.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

TWO METRES!

Better to keep more than two metres apart if possible
T-800

Post by T-800 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:TWO METRES!

2m,8m,1m WHO can't make their minds up.Probably because no one knows for sure.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :twisted:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One or rather Plus 100 :wink:
What happens if the Minus is more than 100%?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

T-800 wrote:

Simples, as much separation as possible, more than TWO METRES on some wide paths
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
T-800 wrote:

Simples, as much separation as possible, more than TWO METRES on some wide paths

The reason why the yanks have so many cases is they translate 2m as 2 feet? Has happened before with one of their early rocket designs thieved from the Germans didnt tranlate from metric to imperial..