Distorting the news

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
carpetcleaner

Re: Distorting the news

Post by carpetcleaner »

Oldjohnw wrote:I haven't worked out why activists should not be interviewed just because they are activists. Their views are valid and often well thought out. Mr Farage gets plenty of airtime and he represents no-one.

Nobody minds political activists being interviewed on TV but they should be identified as such. Mr Farage is always identified as a political player, never as just an average member of the public, employee of an organisation etc.

Why did the BBC choose not to identify its selection of Panorama interviewees as anti-government political activists? Why did the corporation choose so many anti-government political activists to interview when it had over a million NHS staff to choose from?

As I said previously it is hard to think of a reason which reflects well on the BBC in this matter. It is also quite easy to think of reasons which reflect badly on it.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I haven't worked out why activists should not be interviewed just because they are activists. Their views are valid and often well thought out. Mr Farage gets plenty of airtime and he represents no-one.

Nobody minds political activists being interviewed on TV but they should be identified as such. Mr Farage is always identified as a political player, never as just an average member of the public, employee of an organisation etc.

Does that not also apply where there is a political activist and unelected representative of the Government on a supposedly neutral committee such as SAGE Why was Dominic Cummings not disclosed and identified?

Why did the BBC choose not to identify its selection of Panorama interviewees as anti-government political activists? Why did the corporation choose so many anti-government political activists to interview when it had over a million NHS staff to choose from?

Why did the Government choose not to identify its selection of Dominic Cummings a pro-government political activist? Why did the Government choose an unqualified and unsuitable pro- government political activists to participate when it had over a million qualified scientists to choose from

it is hard to think of a reason which reflects well on the Government in this matter. It is also quite easy to think of many reasons which reflect badly on it
Last edited by Cunobelin on 5 May 2020, 12:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:To be pedantically accurate, nurses are employed by the NHS. I don't pay their wages but the NHS does, using funding agreed with the government and funded by taxpayers, of which I am one. I am also a voter. Even if I don't pay taxes and therefore cannot claim to fund a nurse's wages, I am still a voter and can hold the government to account.

All that was made clear to CC some while ago during one of his previous rants about the NHS. He failed to read the appropriate act, refused to discuss it and carried on lying
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Using our tax money the government funds the NHS. It also tells us how wonderful its employees are.

Many employers tell us how wonderful their employees are.

All such praise should be treated with scepticism.

Government praise of the NHS is effectively advertising.

Sensible people don't take adverts at face value.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
You obviously are unaware of the fact that being a pensioner is not a job. An easy mistake to make. Anyone could do it.

Not at tall , your claim was that if as a taxpayer you paid money (or even as a member of the public) you were co-owner and co-employer.

Ethel fits in with your initial claims. You are by your own definitiuon co-owner and co-employer of Ethel

Now you are changing the parameters now they have become inconvenient.... your normal answer

Read my posts more carefully.

I do that is why I am able to continually prove them wrong, and point out that you hve not understood what you have posted as evidence.

I also note that you appear to feel unable to comment on Tory activists not being disclosed on independent committees
Last edited by Cunobelin on 5 May 2020, 5:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

carpetcleaner wrote:Using our tax money the government funds the NHS. It also tells us how wonderful its employees are.

Lets remember that when Boris does his "advertising" about Scottish independence?

When he intends to spend millions on Party Propaganda and pas it off as "public Information" so he can justify the waste of money.

At last we can agree and not take Boris, his party and their claims at face value.
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

Distorting the news.

The first article made worrying reading in light of the quoted source being a 5 eyes intel document. I searched for a similar report in the Guardian, BBC or Independent but found nothing from those sources until this morning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... break.html

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... d-from-lab
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Cunobelin wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:Using our tax money the government funds the NHS. It also tells us how wonderful its employees are.

Lets remember that when Boris does his "advertising" about Scottish independence?

When he intends to spend millions on Party Propaganda and pas it off as "public Information" so he can justify the waste of money.

At last we can agree and not take Boris, his party and their claims at face value.

Boris is not a news provider. He is a politician.

Most people already know that politicians are not impartial but have a particular ideological outlook on the issues of the day. Also, politicians don't claim to be impartial as some news providers do.

Most people are able to make up their own minds about what politicians tell them. This was demonstrated during the campaign for the 2016 people's vote when the prime minister of the day spent £9 million of our money on a pro-EU membership leaflet delivered to millions of homes. The people decided to advise him that we should leave the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ys-cameron

* The link is to the Guardian, a paper which has a left-wing outlook. I thought I'd better tell the forum about this as some readers don't take news from news sources which are not scrupulously impartial.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Posted in error
Last edited by Cunobelin on 7 May 2020, 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

Cunobelin wrote:
llayercake wrote:Distorting the news.

The first article made worrying reading in light of the quoted source being a 5 eyes intel document. I searched for a similar report in the Guardian, BBC or Independent but found nothing from those sources until this morning.

"Excep that is a lie and not what you posted.....

Your quote was :

You keep on telling us that Boris is part of the Government.....

The Government making claims about the NHS and Scottish independence are exactly the same thing....... you are the only one interpreting that as news/
"

I'm easily confused but what has this quote got to do with my post????

The following isn't my quote either;

"Government praise of the NHS is effectively advertising".
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

llayercake wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
llayercake wrote:Distorting the news.

Your quote was :

The Government making claims about the NHS and Scottish independence are exactly the same thing....... you are the only one interpreting that as news/
"

Responded to wrong post -apolgies.
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

Cunobelin wrote:
llayercake wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Your quote was :

"

Responded to wrong post -apolgies.

Goodo. Confusion cleared up then :)