Which social/economic class do you belong to?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Which social/economic class do you belong to?

Upper/ruling class
21%
Intelligentsia/commentariat
3%
Lower upper middle class
3%
Middle middle class
No votes
Middle class, educated but not rich
18%
Lower middle class
No votes
Well-to-do craftsperson
6%
Working class
29%
Precariat
No votes
None of the above!
21%

Total votes: 34

Marcus Aurelius

Re: Which social/economic class do you belong to?

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 3 May 2020, 9:12am

One can’t buy ‘class’. One can’t buy one’s way into a ‘class’ in / of which one’s not. Many try, they end up like this.
5F2BBFB4-BFB4-4961-9922-4A29E184368D.jpeg
5F2BBFB4-BFB4-4961-9922-4A29E184368D.jpeg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 209 times

peetee

Postby peetee » 3 May 2020, 9:32am

reohn2 wrote:
peetee wrote:So is today’s class system more to do with attitude, social placement, geographic location, wealth........?

Was it ever any different?

I think it was. You could argue that class is a imaginary construct, a ‘soft segregation’ or some such but there was a time when the majority of the population didn’t deviate from pre-defined social, economic and career paths and those boundaries defined class. Today communication and equality has diluted many socioeconomic constraints. Also, where does gender equality and ethnic diversity fit into the British class system? And that brings us to gender and class within some British ethnic minorities which can be controversial.
Last edited by peetee on 3 May 2020, 9:42am, edited 2 times in total.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 May 2020, 9:36am

peetee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
peetee wrote:So is today’s class system more to do with attitude, social placement, geographic location, wealth........?

I think it was. You could argue that class is a imaginary construct but there was a time when the majority of the population didn’t deviate from pre-defined social, economic and career paths and those boundaries defined class. Today communication and equality has diluted many socioeconomic constraints.

Whilst enlarging the gap between the richest and the poorest, at least in modern times.
John

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 May 2020, 9:38am

peetee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I think it was. You could argue that class is a imaginary construct but there was a time when the majority of the population didn’t deviate from pre-defined social, economic and career paths and those boundaries defined class. Today communication and equality has diluted many socioeconomic constraints.

Don't believe it,the class system is alive and well and looking after itself albeit less overt with more elestic boundaries these days.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 3 May 2020, 11:40am

peetee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I think it was. You could argue that class is a imaginary construct, a ‘soft segregation’ or some such but there was a time when the majority of the population didn’t deviate from pre-defined social, economic and career paths and those boundaries defined class. Today communication and equality has diluted many socioeconomic constraints. Also, where does gender equality and ethnic diversity fit into the British class system? And that brings us to gender and class within some British ethnic minorities which can be controversial.

I think that since WWII there has definitely been dilution of the social and economic classes. That included narrowing the gap between the rich and the poor and making room for ethnic minorities amongst the elite. In the last couple of decades, however, things have somewhat begun to go the opposite way, at least economically. Whilst they haven't reached the extremes of the 19th or even mid 20th century, and are unlikely to, it's difficult to say how far the swing might go in that direction before recovering, especially with the pandemic likely to have a strong effect on the economy.

I hope that such things are more easily influenced by politics than they once were, though I don't hold out great hope that the Labour party will somehow win back the socially conservative, but economically left-leaning voters that they lost to the Conservatives in last election. I also don't hold out hope that Keir Starmer will prove to be a great leader. Even if there are some things I like about him, I have my doubts about his capability to win the next election.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Tinpotflowers

Postby Tinpotflowers » 11 May 2020, 4:05pm

Do I know my place?
Where should I be pigeonhole in the class structure?
I have
always lived in social housing
father was a copy reader in the daily mail my mother housewive
grandfather was train driver
left school with no qualification and am still semi dyslexic
worked in factories on the shop floor (have city guilds in wood machining)
i have a science degree (mature student)
was a very unsuccessful civil servant
now cycle instructor and cycle mechanic
have cycle traveled abroad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hhrwl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUkXD7K3dis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSahEDRjvw
https://www.johncleese.com/blog/the-cla ... rors/bp13/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJj1I96tfc

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 11 May 2020, 4:07pm

You may answer 'none of the above'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 11 May 2020, 4:19pm

Hi,
Not looked lately, but there's a lot of Knob's on here :) , they nearly equal working class.

I am definitely, working class or nothing :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.