What's my orchid?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: What's my orchid?

Post by philvantwo »

No, Mick F is convinced he's gonna outlive all of his pets and live to be 115.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

philvantwo wrote:No, Mick F is convinced he's gonna outlive all of his pets and live to be 115.

for all we know it maybe the parrot already :wink:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Good point, but how will we know when the great mick F has been dispatched?
:( :( :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can I just say, that I have no intention nor any expectation of popping my clogs.
I don't intend to die, and I don't expect it.

Here she is, on the bottom rail outside her cage at this very moment making a mess ........... as usual.
IMG_0163.jpg

She's a She.
We had her ten years before we knew she was a "she" when she started laying eggs.
People asked me if we were going to hatch them out, but I remarked that I may have many talents, but I cannot fertilise a parrot.
The number of well-educated people who asked that, were very embarrassed when I made that point! :lol:
Eggs.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I saw these on the canal bank the other day, I think they may be orchids of some description, anyone recognise them for sure ?
P1130488.JPG

P1130490.JPG
Nu-Fogey
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Looks similar to a red hot poker, we've got red and yellow ones. If you install Google lens on your phone and take a photo with it you can find out most things.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

philvantwo wrote:Looks similar to a red hot poker, we've got red and yellow ones. If you install Google lens on your phone and take a photo with it you can find out most things.

Thanks for the reply Phil, I had a look for Red Hot Pokers, but they seem to have narrow leaves and a larger flower head. The flowering heads on these plants were only about 8mmx 40mm and with wide leaves.
I don't have a smart phone unfortunately.
Nu-Fogey
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Looks like it could be Arpophyllum giganteum which is another type of orchid.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

philvantwo wrote:Looks like it could be Arpophyllum giganteum which is another type of orchid.
Thanks again Phil, these ones have a broader leaf shape than those and are smaller .Those are native to the Americas, Mexico and further south. Similar though. A pretty plant whatever they are, I'd never seen or noticed them before.
Another picture...not quite focussed unfortunately.
P1130485.JPG
Nu-Fogey
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Our red hot pokers aren't out yet, but in the front garden the African daisy's are the best I've ever seen them and its fascinating how when the sun moves round, those that find themselves in the shade just close up whilst others that are a couple of feet away and still in the sun remain open.
It's amazing to see stuff like that!