Will You be using the NHS app?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Will You be using the NHS app?

Poll ended at 26 May 2020, 11:34am

Yes
35%
No
46%
Maybe
15%
Don't Know
4%

Total votes: 46

pwa

Re: Will You be using the NHS app?

Post by pwa »

Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:What is the position with those who have no mobile phone, and don't intend to get one?

For them there will have to be an army of people to trace their contacts, so far as they can remember them. Making lots of phone calls and so forth.

Harassment you mean?

Is that how you will react if you get a call from a member of a busy team chasing up the contacts of people who have tested positive? That's how it works. "Hello Mr. Jones, I'm sorry to bother you but....". Is that harassment, informing you that someone you were close to a few days ago is now ill so you ought to self-isolate for a week or whatever? How are we supposed to deal with this if people object to that?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:For them there will have to be an army of people to trace their contacts, so far as they can remember them. Making lots of phone calls and so forth.

Harassment you mean?

Is that how you will react if you get a call from a member of a busy team chasing up the contacts of people who have tested positive? That's how it works. "Hello Mr. Jones, I'm sorry to bother you but....". Is that harassment, informing you that someone you were close to a few days ago is now ill so you ought to self-isolate for a week or whatever? How are we supposed to deal with this if people object to that?

Woa, woa. Nobody sane would object to such a phone call as you describe. I was just wondering why I might expect "lots of phone calls" if I do not buy a new phone. And having to try to remember my contacts.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Paulatic wrote:
pwa wrote:If you are so paranoid, buy a cheap phone just to take the app.

It’s irrelevant how much your phone costs the government will have your data They are going to keep it for six months and what you think of as a boring life is full of useful information which the devious can compute to their advantage. The app has been developed by the same friends of Cummings who once worked for Cambridge Analytica. Not put out to tender just handed out which I haven’t seen denied.

+1
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Harassment you mean?

Woa, woa. Nobody sane would object to such a phone call as you describe. I was just wondering why I might expect "lots of phone calls" if I do not buy a new phone. And having to try to remember my contacts.

:lol:
Okay. Crossed wires. The "lots of phone calls" is what the callers would be doing, the call to you being just one. And for a confirmed case of C19 they would have to question the sufferer to get a list of everyone they should notify. That is where the app would save time and make up for dodgy memory.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I see.
Did I gather the phoneless might be given a tracing device?
It occurs to me that such a gadget would not have very much data to be mined, certainly in my case, and could be dropped in a bucket when peace breaks out. I need not fear Cambridge Analytica getting into my life.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mike Sales wrote:I see.
It occurs to me that such a gadget would not have very much data to be mined, certainly in my case, and could be dropped in a bucket when peace breaks out. I need not fear Cambridge Analytica getting into my life.

yes I think that was mentioned early on. looks like the idea has been forgotten?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Jesus H Christ ...

You are the hubby of Mrs Miggins and I claim my £5
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Rory Cellan-Jones Technology correspondent @BBC has been given an inside look at the app

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52551273
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:Rory Cellan-Jones Technology correspondent @BBC has been given an inside look at the app

Ta.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

ossie wrote:

Jesus H Christ ...

Que? What have pies got to do with it?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Mike Sales wrote:
ossie wrote:

Jesus H Christ ...

Apologies it was my chat with someone else earlier in the thread.

The important thing is we do what we feel if right is this thing ever gets off the ground, we all have a choice no matter how subliminal some feel it is. :wink:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

ossie wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
ossie wrote:
Jesus H Christ ...

Apologies it was my chat with someone else earlier in the thread.

The important thing is we do what we feel if right is this thing ever gets off the ground, we all have a choice no matter how subliminal some feel it is. :wink:

Accepted.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

:o :D
Last edited by Vitara on 5 May 2020, 11:20pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:Rory Cellan-Jones Technology correspondent @BBC has been given an inside look at the app

No, he's only been given early access to it. He has not been allowed to look inside, as far as I can tell from that report.

Also, most of the report and description of how the app works would be true for the better apps too. He completely ignored all the reasons that the NHS one has been criticised. Maybe that was a condition of getting a preview? Malcolm Tucker couldn't have gotten friendlier coverage.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

He just seems to be an instruction book I doubt he’ll ever be privy to the algorithms back at base.
Interesting it instructs those wearing ppe to switch off ble. I thought most medical staff had caught cv while wearing ppe so they’re not interested in who they might have contacted during the time of wearing?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info