Will You be using the NHS app?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Will You be using the NHS app?

Poll ended at 26 May 2020, 11:34am

Yes
35%
No
46%
Maybe
15%
Don't Know
4%

Total votes: 46

Vitara

Re: Will You be using the NHS app?

Post by Vitara »

:D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Vitara wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Vitara wrote:
Possibly better to check the facts first. That was my thought, it will be triggering everytime I see a CV19 +ve patient. The App includes instructions for Healthcare Workers to turn off Bluetooth when wearing PPE to prevent this from happening.

Unfortunately Bluetooth is what connects it to many patient devices...... and if installing it would go on the NHS phone, not my own

It sounds like you've already decided not to install the app. Your choice, that's fine.
The logic of installing it on your NHS work phone makes no sense though, to function it would need to be on your personal phone tracking your contacts when away from the Healthcare environment.

It stays with me all the time.
It allows me to check emails, take calls and texts
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mercalia wrote:well so far 50:50 dont look good for the success of the app if this reflects the country at large - I understand they need a 80% take up of mobile users?

Thats 80% smartphone users not all mobiles are smart.
Equates to an uptake of 56% of the population.
In Singapore 1 in 6 of the population loaded the app. :(
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Not only is my mobile very old and probably not very smart it spends most of it's time switched off. A lot of areas near where I live have no mobile coverage anyway. In fact a friend 2 miles away from me has no coverage as I have tried to use my phone sometimes when visiting.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

ambodach wrote:Not only is my mobile very old and probably not very smart it spends most of it's time switched off. A lot of areas near where I live have no mobile coverage anyway. In fact a friend 2 miles away from me has no coverage as I have tried to use my phone sometimes when visiting.

The app doesn't require you to have constant mobile coverage, just periodic access so that it can report your recent contacts back to the government.

I'm very disappointed about the way the app has been implemented. In being greedy about getting more data, I think that the likelihood of the app working at all is much reduced. Not only is it likely to be unreliable due to fighting the mobile phone operating environment, but take up will be less if people don't trust it, or hear reports that it is hammering battery life.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I cant see how this app can work properly. I live in a street with no pavement. My sofa is about 6 feet from a large window. If someone who is exhibiting symptoms walks past the window presumably I will get alerted to self isolate even though there is a thick wall and sealed window between me and that person?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote:I cant see how this app can work properly. I live in a street with no pavement. My sofa is about 6 feet from a large window. If someone who is exhibiting symptoms walks past the window presumably I will get alerted to self isolate even though there is a thick wall and sealed window between me and that person?

Al

As I understand it you would have to be within whatever distance is chosen (possibly less than 6ft?) for a specified time. They are trying to alert you if you have had significant contact, not just a brief pass.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

It'll be on my wife'ssmartphone (I don't have one) - where she goes, at present, mostly I go too..

I'm sure when it rolled out we'll find out how it works.

When it was announced I googled it and immediately came across articles by "knowledgable" naysayers, provacy campaigners and so on. The first phrase I came across was put across in a rather sneering way, something like "there you are, waiting in a supermarket queue, and your phone goes to tell you that you may have been in contact with an infected person, so you should blah blah blh, are you supposed to abandon your shopping?" to which my response would be "yes, isn't that part of the point, to avoid infecting all the people you are about to get close to, or maybe leave the virus behind on food or packaging that you might touch?".

Privacy? - you know you've got the app, as opposed to the unknown stuff reported on recently in the context of targeted advertising. And you can switch off your phone if you want privacy, or delete the app if you get concerned - which would just make it harder (and thus take longer) to do the contact tracing if you are infected.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The latest thinking is UK might ditch the app and use Google/Apple version.
UK version won’t run on Apple and doesn’t pass privacy laws looking like another UK cockup. Not to worry though Cummings and his pals will have had a few million out of it. :)

The nerds can see the problem but NHSX deny. https://passonapp.net/nhsx-covid.html

E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Paulatic wrote:The latest thinking is UK might ditch the app and use Google/Apple version.
UK version won’t run on Apple and doesn’t pass privacy laws looking like another UK cockup. Not to worry though Cummings and his pals will have had a few million out of it. :)

The nerds can see the problem but NHSX deny. https://passonapp.net/nhsx-covid.html

The BBC reports that the UK app has been tested on Apple phones and has been shown to work on them. It also works when it is in the background.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

and according to LBC the NHS are making a 2nd app based on the Google/Apple ideas as they have been having trouble with the app on the Isle of Wight. :roll:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Would you trust former boss of data leakers Talk Talk Dido Harding with your details?

Yes? Then https://www.grahamcluley.com/nhs-corona ... gle-drive/ how about now?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Paulatic wrote:The latest thinking is UK might ditch the app and use Google/Apple version.

Here we are an undisclosed amount spent and another U turn. Yes 6 weeks later they will now use Google/ Apple :lol: :lol:

E2E info