Real names

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: Real names

Postby merseymouth » 11 May 2020, 9:17pm

Hi all, If e slip on to nicknames there were some cracking Dockers names - The Black & White minstrel, that was Cilla's dad - the Unknown Soldier, no one knew where he came from just turned up in an army great coat - one of the best was "Jellipex", you work it out. MM

drossall

Postby drossall » 11 May 2020, 9:22pm

There was a certain practice in cycling clubs of naming people after their bikes, e.g. "Claud".

profpointy

Postby profpointy » 11 May 2020, 9:53pm

wirral_cyclist wrote:It's pretty much compulsory for most North Walians I know to use their middle name as their forename is the same as their dad - back generations.
If you're going to always use the middle name it might as well be your forename and dad can have the middle slot.

Knowing surnames is tricky in Wales as people are often referred to by their profession Dai the Milk, Twm y ddol (blacksmith) or Will Hafod (the name of his farm) or whatever it might be.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 12 May 2020, 8:37am

profpointy wrote:
wirral_cyclist wrote:It's pretty much compulsory for most North Walians I know to use their middle name as their forename is the same as their dad - back generations.
If you're going to always use the middle name it might as well be your forename and dad can have the middle slot.

Knowing surnames is tricky in Wales as people are often referred to by their profession Dai the Milk, Twm y ddol (blacksmith) or Will Hafod (the name of his farm) or whatever it might be.

Indeed although he would be Wil Hafod, double LL having a diferent pronunciation- the unusual (even globally) lateral aspirant.

And stranger still.
The commonest surname in Wales is probably Jones.
It was pointed out to me once that the "J" sound is not a member of the Welsh language's phonetic inventory.
Word initiallly in the word "Jones" it is the only place you will hear it.

I'll get me coat.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 May 2020, 8:53am

al_yrpal wrote:Thinking back to times past people had nicknames that fitted them...

Fingers was always in the first aid room because he kept getting his fingers in the machinery.

Noddy had Tourettes syndrome ( a very cruel nickname)

Bumble came from Wigan, his speech sounded like "bumble bumble bumble"...

Ginger, was well ginger... that was me!

Spud is fairly obvious

And so on.... :lol:

Al
Some were "opposites".
Curly was bald, Tiny was tall, Snowy was black, and we had Chalky Green, and Taffy for a Scottish bloke, for instance.
Mick F. Cornwall

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 12 May 2020, 1:11pm

I was known as 'Tusker' for a while at school, because the sports master told me that I had all the ball-control skills of a disabled elephant.

Mike_Ayling

Postby Mike_Ayling » 14 May 2020, 6:59am

Cugel wrote:
philvantwo wrote:I worked with a chap on and off for a number of years and I was informed he passed away a couple of weeks ago, the funeral was last Thursday and there was a website you could log into to watch the service.
All those years and I always knew him as Colin, turns out that was his middle name as he didn't like his first name which was Derek!
Is there anybody on the forum who's done this?

Wot, "passed away, thus revealing their real name"? How can they tell you? :-)

Where did this bit of cloying euphemism come from, btw? What's wrong with, died"; "is now dead" or something less obscure concerning the ceasing-to-be-alive? Where does what pass to and why is it away rather than here? I think we should be told!

Cugel, just passing by the forum.

I prefer the word "croaked" myself!

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 14 May 2020, 7:32am

Popped His Clogs, Turned His Toes Up, Brown Bread, Croaked et al :(
The "Passed Over" thing was something from olden times, quite common in old Irish Culture the folk moved on to the next world, then after a time would "Pass Over" again, returning to the original world, carried on ad infenitum!
With up old twiddlers it was surely early "Re-Cycling"? MM

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 14 May 2020, 7:55am

I personally say "died" but people should be able to say what they want without fear of offending or criticism. Feelings come into this.

I like MM's recycling idea. Perhaps a bit Buddhist!
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 14 May 2020, 7:56am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 14 May 2020, 7:56am

My favourite uncle was Edwin Russell & always went by Russ. My family has lots of men called Keith, so most of them except my dad are called by their middle names at large family gatherings.

I know two people called Jack. One is William Johnathon & the other, as far as I know has John or Johnathon as a first name. He is also sometimes called John, and seems to answer to either.

I have sometimes been called by nicknames, based on my real name, but I've never been called by my middle name.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 14 May 2020, 8:07am

Mike_Ayling wrote:I prefer the word "croaked" myself!

I worked with a chap who came in one day and said his grandson had asked him when was he going to turn into a frog,puzzled the chap asked his grandson why did ask such an odd thing.
The lad replied "coz me dad says when you croak were going to Disneyland".
-----------------------------------------------------------

Clouded Leopard

Postby Clouded Leopard » 14 May 2020, 8:47am

I was named “Sparky” in the RAF not because I was Trade Group 11 but I was a “Ham” operator.
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 14 May 2020, 8:51am

"Kick the bucket", is missed out AFAICS.

Anyone know the origin or reason?

An old neighbour of mine used it about himself when seriously unwell. So in that sense not really sweeping things under the carpet just being lightly humorous, and accepting.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 14 May 2020, 10:00am

Just been hearing about Captain John Byron, a sea-going relative of the poet, who had the fine nickname of Foul Weather Jack.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 14 May 2020, 10:02am

PDQ Mobile wrote:"Kick the bucket", is missed out AFAICS.

Anyone know the origin or reason?

My guess is that it refers to the bucket one might stand on while adjusting the noose, and then kick away.