Real names

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Real names

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mike Sales wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:"Kick the bucket", is missed out AFAICS.

Anyone know the origin or reason?

My guess is that it refers to the bucket one might stand on while adjusting the noose, and then kick away.

Suicide then! :shock:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I recall hearing when I was younger that 'kick the bucket' has Catholic/church ritual origins.

When people were believed to be near death or recently dead, they were often laid out in a common room or reception room for family and the priest to pray over. A bowl or bucket of holy water was placed at their feet so that the people praying could
a) use it to prtoect themselves form illness
b) sprinkle it over the person/body as they prayed

The muscles spasms/death throes would cause them to 'kick the bucket'.

I don't have any idea if it's true. But I suspect that all origin theories are mainly speculation.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Grimpeur

Post by Grimpeur »

A quick Google shows there are several theories as to the origin but it's unclear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick_the_bucket
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, I like the East Anglian slant on "Kick the Bucket". It is said that the beam from which a pig is suspended by the heels for slaughter is called a bucket.
The French call a yoke or balance a trebuchet? The bucket and its connection with suicide is quite popular. All according o Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase & Fable. TTFN MM (Accept no substitutes)
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

I couldn't go by my second name- wouldn't know which one to use.
Born premature and they weren't sure I was going to make it, so baptized in hospital with middle name of Stephen. When I got out father went to register me and 'celebrated' on the way to the office. By the time he got there he forgot my name, so I was registered with Andrew. I suppose I could call myself Andrew and just change whenever I went into church.