New scam(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: New scam(s)

Postby mercalia » 22 Jul 2020, 8:58am

what do people herethink of this scam?

Dear Geraldine,

At UPMC, we appreciate the trust you have placed in us for your care. It is a privilege to be a part of your health care family.

You were recently sent a patient satisfaction survey for your visit with Kenneth L Urish. We noticed that you have not completed your online survey yet. Your comments mean a great deal to us and by sharing your experience you can help us make things better for all of our patients.

Please take a moment to fill out the survey linked in this email. It will take you approximately 10 minutes.

Click here to begin your survey.

We appreciate your honesty and respect your privacy. When filling out your survey, you may include your name and phone number, or skip this option if you wish for your response to be kept confidential. Satisfaction ratings and comments may be confidentially displayed on UPMC.com – no names or personal information are ever included.

Thank you again for choosing UPMC. Your feedback will support our work of continuously making our patient experience better. We are grateful for the opportunity to serve you as a patient.

Sincerely,
Tami Minnier, RN, MSN, FACHE
Chief Quality Officer, UPMC

If clicking the above link does not take you to the survey or a verification screen, please go to https://esurvey.pressganey.com and enter the following PIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For billing questions, please call 888-647-9600. For questions about your visit, please contact our Patient Experience Office toll free at 855-441-8762.
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Jul 2020, 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveReading

Postby DaveReading » 22 Jul 2020, 1:13pm

Assuming that it's not genuine, then it would appear that it's just a way for spammers to confirm that a recipient's email address is live by stimulating their curiosity so that they click on the link and enter the PIN (which will be unique for each addressee) just to see what it does.

Hopefully the email wasn't sent to your address, because I've just done exactly that. :)

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 22 Jul 2020, 1:58pm

its not genuine as it not my name & any way it refers to some where in the USA.

so what happened when you click the link & enter the code? That was a dangerous thing to do as the web page opened may have had a script in it to do some thing bad, why I have now deleted the code

DaveReading

Postby DaveReading » 22 Jul 2020, 6:27pm

mercalia wrote:its not genuine as it not my name & any way it refers to some where in the USA.

If the email wasn't sent to your email address (i.e. it's a copy of an email sent to someone else), then you have nothing to worry about.

so what happened when you click the link & enter the code? That was a dangerous thing to do as the web page opened may have had a script in it to do some thing bad, why I have now deleted the code

Whether the page does or doesn't have a malevolent script (it doesn't) has nothing to do with the code. If it was a scam, the purpose of the code would be simply to allow the scammers to validate your email address as a live one (which makes it worth more).

As it happens, I don't think it's a scam at all. The domain in question, https://www.pressganey.com, appears to be perfectly genuine with contact details including phone numbers, email and a physical address (which are notably absent from your typical scam email).

rjb

Postby rjb » 22 Jul 2020, 7:54pm

I am advertising my trike on gumtree. I had a reply from an interested person who asked me to email them directly. This is there email susankeith270@gmail.com

This is the reply I received.

"Thank you for your quick response! i will want you to consider it sold kindly remove the ad as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? "

I replied asking for payment direct to my bank account as I don't do paypal. I haven't given them my details and it's gone very quiet. My suspicions have been aroused that this may be a scam.

What do you all think.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

RickH

Postby RickH » 22 Jul 2020, 8:05pm

I get a few emails in my gmail account that are addressed in the form a.a.milne@ , whereas I only ever use aamilne@ , that appear to be legitimate but not for me.

Gmail ignores dots, dashes. etc.& treats them as the same address. I suspect whoever set up the address included a number (a.a.milne99?) & has omitted to use it (whether accidentally or deliberately). The person using the address appears to live in Washington State as I get a bit of junk mail (maybe half a dozen on a particularly "bad" day) from what appear to be businesses there. I've just set up a filter to send them straight to spam. The filter only rarely fails to send them there & I can't be bothered to put any more work into it than that.

DaveReading

Postby DaveReading » 22 Jul 2020, 10:05pm

rjb wrote:I am advertising my trike on gumtree. I had a reply from an interested person who asked me to email them directly. This is there email susankeith270@gmail.com

This is the reply I received.

"Thank you for your quick response! i will want you to consider it sold kindly remove the ad as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? "

I replied asking for payment direct to my bank account as I don't do paypal. I haven't given them my details and it's gone very quiet. My suspicions have been aroused that this may be a scam.

What do you all think.

It's an old and well-known scam (often the scammer also claims to be wheelchair-bound :lol: ).

I believe it relies on the scammer generating a subsequent fake email to you, purporting to be from PayPal and saying that your account has been credited with the payment (of course, it hasn't). They then pick up the item, leaving you out-of-pocket.

rjb

Postby rjb » 22 Jul 2020, 10:12pm

Thanks Dave,
Thats a new one on me. No wonder the scammer doesn't want to credit my bank ac. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 30 Jul 2020, 7:42am