Tripod, one thread - head, another...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Tripod, one thread - head, another...

Post by simonineaston »

I'm posting this thread here on a cycling forum, 'cos I just know you guys will know...
I've had a Slik tripd since forever - can't even remember which model it is, but it's fairly substantial - far too chunky to take cycle-touring... its centre column has 1/4" male threads at each end. The other day I thought I'd treat myself to a new head, fitted with one of them new-fangled QR plates, so I bought a Manfrotto 804RC2 and very nice it is too. However, the female thread on the head base plate is 3/8"... Please advise!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
backnotes

Re: Tripod, one thread - head, another...

Post by backnotes »

Something like this

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/kaiser-64 ... r-1017541/

if I have understood the way round things don't match.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

PS if the tripod has plates at the ends of the column, check that these don't unscrew.

On my Giottos tripod, the plates at the end screw off and you can reverse the way in the insert goes and have either 1/4" or 3/8" male threads.

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 12.04.47.png
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

PS if the tripod has plates at the ends of the column, check that these don't unscrew.
That's exactly the sort of detailed tip I was hoping for, backnotes! A quick decco shows the plate at one end does have flats... I'll take a closer look.
EDIT: no dice :-( It looks like both plates are pressed into the ally centre post, and the post crimped to hold 'em. Your tripod looks a better design than mine. If I can be bothered, I might remove one of the studs and replace with 3/8", so I'll have the choice. For now, its an adapter off of Amazon.
Thanks for taking the trouble to help, tho' bn :-
Last edited by simonineaston on 21 May 2020, 1:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Camera threads are whitworth threads if I remember correctly. At one time you could obtain threaded inserts which reduced the diameter from 1/4 to 3/8. Quick look on flebay indicates they are still available for peanuts. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3403631243

:oops: you need the opposite don't you a 3/8 stud on a 1/4 nut.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

you need the opposite don't you a 3/8 stud on a 1/4 nut.
Yes, that's right - I need 1/4" female, 3/8" male - I've found one on Amazon :-)
S
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Before you buy an adaptor, check the packaging for your new head, there might be one tucked in there somewhere!

Is it the Slik88 (like this one https://picclick.fr/Slik-88-Slik88-Classic-Camera-Tripod-183567894216.html) - I had one for ages, very versatile, until some miserable woman rammed a pram into it at the end of the Cannon Hill firework display one year and bent the leg. I was forever getting a finger trapped in the leg braces when folding it! Now have a Manfrotto which is just as versatile, but doesn't get much use these days.

You could try carring a monopod on the bike, or simply a mini or tabletop tripod, these can work well, I have one which folds flat, and is very sturdy , and a cheaper plastic one which is much lighter but which is flimsier.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rjb

Post by rjb »

Useful info here in this old thread, plus pics of mine copied from a CJ idea.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44899&p=365786&hilit=Camera#p365786 :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D