Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools.

Pubs
35%
Schools
35%
neither
27%
dont know
4%

Total votes: 55

[XAP]Bob

Re: Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You can get prepaid debit contactless cards, just top them up to the amount of cash you would carry, then you are at no more risk than you would be carrying cash. Less in fact.

Your choice is not a protected characteristic under the relevant legislation.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning, The DD Act legislation was enacted to ensure an "Equal & Comparable Treatment" as enjoyed by all others.
Cash is Legal Tender, so traders have an obligation to accept it! Should they be allowed to dictate whether or not they accept the legal position of cash or the acceptance of an agreed alternative?
I am aware of the existence of the "Top-Up" type Debit card, but as I already have a compliant debit card why should I not be able to to use that card?
I usually use a cheque to withdraw cash from a branch of my bank, but sadly the bank has taken to minimalising the services at branches, so insisting I withdraw cash from the hole in the wall, something which I cannot do as I have no PIN's!
If I try to get cash over the counter I am prevented from using a cheque, never been an issue before, but we elderly, disabled persons get given the bums rush! Not trendy or techno enough.
My wife has used the same bank for over 50 years, only problems that have arisen over this account has been caused by the bank! Only frauds that have occurred have been provably the fault of the bank, if we had switched to the trendy "On-Line Banking" we would have been cleaned out by now as the bank s do have a poor record over customer security.
Too late for these old dogs to take up new tricks! MM
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

merseymouth wrote:Too late for these old dogs to take up new tricks! MM

So it would appear :D
To sum up then you believe these online fraud guarantees we are offered are worthless?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Morning, The DD Act legislation was enacted to ensure an "Equal & Comparable Treatment" as enjoyed by all others.
Cash is Legal Tender, so traders have an obligation to accept it! Should they be allowed to dictate whether or not they accept the legal position of cash or the acceptance of an agreed alternative?
I am aware of the existence of the "Top-Up" type Debit card, but as I already have a compliant debit card why should I not be able to to use that card?
I usually use a cheque to withdraw cash from a branch of my bank, but sadly the bank has taken to minimalising the services at branches, so insisting I withdraw cash from the hole in the wall, something which I cannot do as I have no PIN's!
If I try to get cash over the counter I am prevented from using a cheque, never been an issue before, but we elderly, disabled persons get given the bums rush! Not trendy or techno enough.
My wife has used the same bank for over 50 years, only problems that have arisen over this account has been caused by the bank! Only frauds that have occurred have been provably the fault of the bank, if we had switched to the trendy "On-Line Banking" we would have been cleaned out by now as the bank s do have a poor record over customer security.
Too late for these old dogs to take up new tricks! MM

What is your aversion to using a PIN? All you need do is ask the bank to change the type of debit card you have. My 96 year old father in law managed well with chip so saying the elderly can't use them is wrong.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello, It is not a dislike of using a PIN it is a version of numerical dyslexia, remembering numbers is a serious problem for me.
So hitting on a number that sticks with me, but is not guessable for others is the nub!
The use, which is common of using dates such as birth or marriage date is not secure. So it would have to be an apparently unconnected number is the answer, but I'd have to write it down, exposing it each time I refer to it, which leaves me in breach of bank security rules! Though I have had bank staff tell me to do just that?
Even my home burglary alarm causes me issues, wand employed.
So if the bank could bring out a system using a secure, programmable remote control then sign me up, but the current Contactless method is far from secure, actual hands on is not necessary for capture of the code!
My family members have had issues with code recall? Both my wife and daughter, who both work/worked in schools had to try to apply different codes for building entry, computer access, copier access, too many for comfort! Throw in bank security PIN's and life ain't easy if one has number recall issues, also being ridiculed for the problem is never helpful? MM
philg

Post by philg »

merseymouth wrote:Hello, It is not a dislike of using a PIN it is a version of numerical dyslexia, remembering numbers is a serious problem for me.
MM

Can you remember letters?
Just use the position in the alphabet to see the number, i.e. CAFE is 3165
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

merseymouth wrote:Cash is Legal Tender, so traders have an obligation to accept it! Should they be allowed to dictate whether or not they accept the legal position of cash or the acceptance of an agreed alternative?
As I remember from many years ago, when I go into a shop to buy a loaf of bread I am "offering to buy" which the shop keeper can refuse me. This refusal could extend to method of payment. Like you, I much prefer cash and am bothered about all this talk about having to order on line in pubs. My reason is that the sort of pubs I use simply will not have that sort of facility since they are back woods pubs no infected by technology or the trendy crowd.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Tatty 8) , But if they offer goods for sale then they must accept Legal Tender! Cheques, Debit Cards, Credit Cards are not "Legal Tender", they are acceptable means of payment. The fact that certain traders are insisting on a single, non-universal means of payment is quite unacceptable!
This matter should be addressed formally by Trading Standards. The banks want only customers that fit their usage profile, so they don't really care about folk like me.
I was forced to have my pension paid into a bank because to get an old fashioned pension book is nigh on impossible! The Post Office insist on a PIN to access funds through them, which is unlawful, but to challenge that would be like tilting at windmills! Don Quixote I am not.
I'm already planning not to visit Wetherspoons houses, this occasioned by their sacking numerous stack upon lock-down! The demise of that chain wouldn't trouble me one bit. MM
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I can see paying by phone which requires your face or your finger print, no number needed, will be a step far too far. :D

E2E info
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Paulactic, Would that be possible with my "Stupid Phone"? :oops: :oops: :oops: MM
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Paulactic, Would that be possible with my "Stupid Phone"? :oops: :oops: :oops: MM

Of course not but if you were younger you might. My youngest son is severely dyslexic and gets around your problem doing just that. Siri even reads and types messages for him. :)

E2E info
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Paulatic wrote: My youngest son is severely dyslexic and gets around your problem doing just that. Siri even reads and types messages for him.
But I doubt he pays for his £400 phone plus £25 a month top up out of his pocket money/pension.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cash is legal tender and must be accepted in settlement of a debt but a shop is not obliged to accept cash in exchange for goods.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You clearly aren’t getting two things:

The DDA is no longer in force (the equalities act 2006/2010 superseded it)
Your refusal to have a contactless card is not a protected characteristic under said legislation

IIRC Barclays advertised a bracelet for a while...

The shops have every right to refuse to serve you on any grounds that are not protected characteristics under the relevant legislation. That includes tender - since no debt exists until they accept the offer.

Would be interesting to buy a pint, knowing that you don’t have a card, but have cash...
But I expect you to get asked to leave, and the pub to be exonerated at “trial”.

I haven’t read the current legislation, but it wouldn’t surprise me if opening up was contingent on exclusive use of contactless payment.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

tatanab wrote:
Paulatic wrote: My youngest son is severely dyslexic and gets around your problem doing just that. Siri even reads and types messages for him.
But I doubt he pays for his £400 phone plus £25 a month top up out of his pocket money/pension.

He’s nearly 40 well beyond pocket money and of independent means working for a low wage in a kitchen. The reason he’s working there is his ability to read and write is poor at best. It’s not for want of education or trying but the way the modern world works even with a scribe in exams he’s always disadvantaged.
He’s not short of intelligence as like his dad he can get an iPhone cheaper than £400 and is clever enough to know a £6/ month goody bag serves his needs as to what I’ve just described.
Why you doubted he’d be paying for it tells me a lot about you and how you can’t afford those costs, especially when such a good help, out of a pension is beyond my comprehension.

E2E info