Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools.

Pubs
35%
Schools
35%
neither
27%
dont know
4%

Total votes: 55

tatanab

Re: Which is it most important to reopen asap? Pubs or Schools

Post by tatanab »

Paulatic wrote:Why you doubted he’d be paying for it tells me a lot about you and how you can’t afford those costs, especially when such a good help, out of a pension is beyond my comprehension.
I do apologise, of course I had no idea of his age. I am very happy that he has a tool that helps him so much. In my case I really cannot justify or see a use for a mobile phone and am dumbfounded by the obsession with the things - but I bet there's an app for that!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

tatanab wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Why you doubted he’d be paying for it tells me a lot about you and how you can’t afford those costs, especially when such a good help, out of a pension is beyond my comprehension.
I do apologise, of course I had no idea of his age. I am very happy that he has a tool that helps him so much. In my case I really cannot justify or see a use for a mobile phone and am dumbfounded by the obsession with the things - but I bet there's an app for that!

Apology accepted :)
There’s an app for everything but if you’ve no cause for one then there’s no compulsion to get one. Living in the UK without some kind of digital access to information is becoming increasingly difficult though.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Paulatic wrote:
tatanab wrote:
Paulatic wrote: My youngest son is severely dyslexic and gets around your problem doing just that. Siri even reads and types messages for him.
But I doubt he pays for his £400 phone plus £25 a month top up out of his pocket money/pension.

He’s nearly 40 well beyond pocket money and of independent means working for a low wage in a kitchen. The reason he’s working there is his ability to read and write is poor at best. It’s not for want of education or trying but the way the modern world works even with a scribe in exams he’s always disadvantaged.

That's a shame. I had a friend at uni who was extremely dyslexic.

He had a really good theoretical understanding.

I got paid (by a government assistance program in the US) in lots of classes to take notes for him, which worked really well for both of us, because I could concentrate on taking notes, and he could concentrate on the concept, then explain to me later, anything where I had just written what the prof said & didn't completely follow.

We did the same in laboratory classes. I would build the circuit, or whatever it was we were supposed to do, and he would explain why it worked. I probably wouldn't have passed some of my classes if it weren't for him & vice versa.

Even though this was a while ago, he could scan stuff in, on his computer (Mac, I think), and it would read to him. Even my class notes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello, It is not a dislike of using a PIN it is a version of numerical dyslexia, remembering numbers is a serious problem for me.
So hitting on a number that sticks with me, but is not guessable for others is the nub!
The use, which is common of using dates such as birth or marriage date is not secure. So it would have to be an apparently unconnected number is the answer, but I'd have to write it down, exposing it each time I refer to it, which leaves me in breach of bank security rules! Though I have had bank staff tell me to do just that?
Even my home burglary alarm causes me issues, wand employed.
So if the bank could bring out a system using a secure, programmable remote control then sign me up, but the current Contactless method is far from secure, actual hands on is not necessary for capture of the code!
My family members have had issues with code recall? Both my wife and daughter, who both work/worked in schools had to try to apply different codes for building entry, computer access, copier access, too many for comfort! Throw in bank security PIN's and life ain't easy if one has number recall issues, also being ridiculed for the problem is never helpful? MM

I use my mum's coop dividend number from over 50 years back. It'll never be forgotten - always told it before I went shopping and had to repeat it when I got back to make sure it was right for the divi.

We don't hear of large numbers of people being defrauded through using contactless which would be the case if it was as insecure as you say.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

So, What's being said to me is that I can't expect to use legal currency to pay for goods and services? All of us who can't get on with modern technology & practises are stupid Luddites who deserve their fate of dying from hunger and thirst! Hard cheese?
It sounds like my hint at getting Trading Standards to sort it out is on the mark.
I know that there is an active campaign to virtually outlaw the use of cash, with some who pursue the goal with zeal, but I'd question why?
Some seem to want to eliminate the use of cheques, demanding that people like me switch over to some form of electronic transfer, but obviously they have never felt the major advantage of those little slips of paper!
I'll explain one situation were it pays to sign a cheque - You want to buy a subscription to a magazine, or to purchase a years membership of something like a genealogy research service. If you send them a cheque you should get what you pay for, no more no less. But if you fill in a form to pay with a Debit or Credit Card, or phone up to pay using the same you may well find yourself roped into a rolling subscription?
That has happened to both my wife and myself! In her case it was a magazine were they did convert into a rolling mandate, very naughty, in my case it was an instance were I said to Ancestry that "I want a twelve months subscription with no free trial or other offers"! The to did a roll over, even to the point of using card details for my new Credit Card as my old one had expired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The bank supplied them with new details :twisted: .
So you see why I have little faith in the ethics of a great many traders. Even today I learnt that people who link their mobile phones up to Hire Cars can have all of their data taken? Gullible I ain't. MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:So, What's being said to me is that I can't expect to use legal currency to pay for goods and services? All of us who can't get on with modern technology & practises are stupid Luddites who deserve their fate of dying from hunger and thirst! Hard cheese?
It sounds like my hint at getting Trading Standards to sort it out is on the mark.

People who bill you for something or to whom you owe money must accept legal tender in payment. Paying for retail purchases is a different matter. It's what lawyers call an offer to treat and the retailer is perfectly at liberty not to accept your offer or to define the form it takes. The Bnak of England explain here https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/knowled ... gal-tender.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

So it is a case of you can starve, die of thirst just because they don't want to see the colour of your money?
Nearly a millennium of trading using legal tender must cease because some people think that getting notes & coins endanger them for some perceived risk posed? Or that by either handing me a bill or giving me a receipt when I use my Chip & Signature card will condemn them to certain death? Maybe they misunderstand the term "Filthy Lucre"?
WH Smith accept my card? Maybe they don't see me as the ancestor of Typhoid Mary, can't hear my bell clanging so chances are that I'm not a leper!
The next firm or trader that declines to accept my custom will suffer the same fate as the last one? Trading Standards referral!
Modern life sucks :roll: MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pubs or School.

If we join the two together will we have public schools?
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

merseymouth wrote:So it is a case of you can starve, die of thirst just because they don't want to see the colour of your money?
Nearly a millennium of trading using legal tender must cease because some people think that getting notes & coins endanger them for some perceived risk posed? Or that by either handing me a bill or giving me a receipt when I use my Chip & Signature card will condemn them to certain death? Maybe they misunderstand the term "Filthy Lucre"?
WH Smith accept my card? Maybe they don't see me as the ancestor of Typhoid Mary, can't hear my bell clanging so chances are that I'm not a leper!
The next firm or trader that declines to accept my custom will suffer the same fate as the last one? Trading Standards referral!
Modern life sucks :roll: MM

So what have you been doing for the last twelve weeks?

Contactless payment is the default at the moment in order to minimise transmission risk. You're quite at liberty not to buy alcohol, and a pub is quite at liberty to insist on contactless payment.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

If a concern plays the idiot card over the acceptance of my Chip & Signature card will find themselves referred to Trading Standards and also to the Electronic Point of Sale Authority as well, breach of their terms and conditions! MM
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This pub won’t be opening :lol:
https://news.sky.com/story/eight-arrest ... b-12012674
They wonder why Liverpool has been a hotspot :idea:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Paulatic, Why post links when they insist on one accepting their cookie policies?
But if I read you correctly with your implication, you believe that Liverpool is a source of increased infection due to operating skibeens?
Well truth is Warrington & Manchester are the real pain in the Covid19 butt, constant need for Police, but in Manchester the Police hide rather that deal with civil disorder, that until shots have been fired then the weapons hidden away!
I'm not someone else's brother's keeper, I don't endanger others. Roll on 1st August. MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote:If a concern plays the idiot card over the acceptance of my Chip & Signature card will find themselves referred to Trading Standards and also to the Electronic Point of Sale Authority as well, breach of their terms and conditions! MM

I'd be interested in how that would work. I'm still not clear why you don't do contactless.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

merseymouth wrote:If a concern plays the idiot card over the acceptance of my Chip & Signature card will find themselves referred to Trading Standards and also to the Electronic Point of Sale Authority as well, breach of their terms and conditions! MM

I assume covid has been autocorrected to idiot?

You'll get nowhere - the current efforts to reduce the risk of transmission trump the T&Cs of EPOS systems.

As I have previously said - you don't have a protected characteristic which prevents you from using contactless technology, you are merely being stubborn.
Any shop is entitled to accept, or refuse, any form of payment they choose (since there is no debt until the offer of sale is accepted, and the offer is made contingent on posted notices of accepted means of payment).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
99.9%certain

Post by 99.9%certain »

Original question is now answered.
Pubs/restaurants etc can open on 4th July.