Quality Pork Pies?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Quality Pork Pies?

Postby Cugel » 24 May 2020, 9:53pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:I was put off pork pies many,many, years ago.
I found a pig's tooth in one, and have never had another!

There's truth in a tooth. :shock:

Sorry I'll get me coat.

Bits of lung is worserer. Or lengths of vein.

A good pork growler is a fine thing. The only way to ensure a good 'un is to make it yourself; or devolve the task the the ladywife, whilst ensuring she inserts enough growl and no dog fud.

When I were a lad, 429 years ago, suspicious pies were everywhere et as folk were without the means to afford owt but things filled with minced "bits". Most I knew then had their moment, though but, when a particularly nasty "bit" of pie content forever put them off the pies and they turned to the burger instead. Little did they realise what went into them!

Cugel.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 24 May 2020, 9:57pm

Mike Sales wrote:
simonineaston wrote:I helped a friend of mine move to Otley, years ago. We were students in Bristol at the same time & were both in the Poly climbing club. If I think hard enough, I'll remember her name...

I loved those fine square built Yorkshire gritstone terraces.

I never lived in or near Otley but rode many a road race with the Airedale Olympic, who also joined us in Mallorca training camps of the late eighties and early 90s. A fine bunch of lads, despite their queer accents and inclination to eat cake & cheese at the same time whilst talking tyke (with crumb-spray).

Cugel

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 24 May 2020, 10:00pm

eat cake & cheese at the same time
I've heard of that... my dad used to eat chedder and pears. He was from Dudley.
byyeee,
SiE

Reddington

Postby Reddington » 24 May 2020, 10:27pm

simonineaston wrote:
eat cake & cheese at the same time
I've heard of that... my dad used to eat chedder and pears. He was from Dudley.

Pears and Stilton.
A little bit of heaven.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 May 2020, 10:30pm

Apple and Stilton cheese with digestive bisuits :D
Creamy Lancashire cheese with mango chutney and olives with multiseed bread :D
-----------------------------------------------------------

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 24 May 2020, 10:56pm

Dundee cake and Cheshire (or crumbly Lancashire) something about the little bits crumbling off makes it!

Freddie

Postby Freddie » 24 May 2020, 11:03pm

Isn't a quality pork pie something of a contradiction in terms? It is like fancy pork scratchings. Surely, pork pies, like pork scratchings, are supposed to be a bit, uh...grotty and something you grab in a pinch.

eclipse

Postby eclipse » 25 May 2020, 1:50am

Nothing beats a still warm Taylors (Darlington) pork pie, where the jelly is still runny! (although Appletons of Ripon are pretty fine)
On the odd pie contents theme, my big sis once discovered an eyelid in a locally made steak pie, which I found quite amusing. .. she complained and was offered a replacement, which she declined for some reason.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 25 May 2020, 3:51am

Perch's pies of Great Ayton. My parents used to buy them 50 years ago. I still get them if I am in the area.
John

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 25 May 2020, 8:29am

Freddie wrote:Isn't a quality pork pie something of a contradiction in terms? It is like fancy pork scratchings. Surely, pork pies, like pork scratchings, are supposed to be a bit, uh...grotty and something you grab in a pinch.

Ha ha - you must be a member of the muddle clarss.

In Tyneside and many other rough spots of yesteryear, The Pork Shop was an institution beloved by the hoi-polloi for it's many inexpensive yet very tasty things. Naturally they were made of the cheaper regions of the porker; and often disguised as a saveloy, pie or some other shape-shift of rather alarming-looking organs of the beast.

Mind, many got over their modern disgusts at the sight of those slippery slobbery inner parts and would buy and consume them avidly in their undisguised state. Those born in The Depression would eat owt, since owt was all that was available. My mam loved the trotter of a pig as well as other stuff such as brawn and tripe. Even though I was brought up in the era of post-war rationing and therefore generally hungry, I could never bring myself to bite a brain or suck a cloven foot. No.

But I too greatly enjoyed the saveloy with peas-puddin' as well as the pork growler. The canny pork butchers perfected their pastry and gravy to seduce us despite the other less attractive pie-content. It was only when they failed to mince a particularly unattractive lump to a fine enough granularity that one would choke, spit and acquire a phobia for the things.

Cugel

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 25 May 2020, 8:33am

eclipse wrote:Nothing beats a still warm Taylors (Darlington) pork pie, where the jelly is still runny! (although Appletons of Ripon are pretty fine)
On the odd pie contents theme, my big sis once discovered an eyelid in a locally made steak pie, which I found quite amusing. .. she complained and was offered a replacement, which she declined for some reason.

Brings back memories of the queue along Skinnergate for Taylor’s. Saturday tea at FiL was always Taylor’s pork pies.
We were staying in Richmond a few days last year and got some at the shop there.
I rarely have anything good to say about Wales, so I don’t, but the butcher in Chirk does a really good Pork pie.Shoot me now but I think I’d choose it over a Taylor’s.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 25 May 2020, 8:48am

reohn2 wrote:Bo Jo = liar of the the highest/lowest order
Cummings = von Smallhousen

I thought Cummings was Grima Wormtoungue ( sorry Tolkien fan)
NUKe

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 25 May 2020, 8:50am

NUKe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Bo Jo = liar of the the highest/lowest order
Cummings = von Smallhousen

I thought Cummings was Grima Wormtoungue ( sorry Tolkien fan)

That too,among many other things usually of a four letter variety :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 25 May 2020, 8:50am

Wow! This thread has now taken on a whole new persona??? You've literally decided to discuss actual "Pork Pies"!
Spin offs to bring in Scotch Eggs, haven't seen Gala Pie brought in yet? Definitely a "Raised Pastry" debate. Bring it on.
For me it has to be a Saxby's Melton Mowbray version, yum, yum!
But back to Boris & the Bogeyman? My view is that he should go! He hasn't diluted the message, he has corrupted it. Boris should hand him the revolver in the library! We need a Captain Oates moment from Cummings! MM

colin54

Postby colin54 » 25 May 2020, 9:26am

merseymouth wrote:Wow! This thread has now taken on a whole new persona??? You've literally decided to discuss actual "Pork Pies"!

Perhaps if the title had included 'Porky Pies', or even better 'Porkies' to be proppa rhyming slang the thread wouldn't have drifted in such a mouth watering fashion, but since it's too late now....
When I lived in Leeds, I used to cycle up the towpath to Saltaire Bowls Club when there was a match on,
just for the pork pies they used to serve, they got them from a village nearby, the best I've tasted.
The minced beef in gravy pies in Wigan take some beating, you can buy them wrapped in a buttered barm roll.The roll soaks up the explosive gravy, once it's cool enough to eat.The filling tastes like my late Mother's mince, lovely.https://www.gallowaysbakers.co.uk/
They serve macaroni cheese in the same casing as a mutton pie in Aberdeen (without the mutton),
nice.
I like a pie, me.
Last edited by colin54 on 25 May 2020, 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.