Quality Pork Pies?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Quality Pork Pies?

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon, Do you folk think that Boris Johnson is making too far a step towards unpalatable "Pork Pies"?
Do they look likely to acceptable as a part of our diet? Or will it all end up as the Americans would "Boris has to eat crow"?
The P.M. would appear to swallow more than a small measure of garbage, o is it a case f the late Mandy rice Davis reply - "He would say that wouldn't he"! Sorry Boris, my view is get shut of the scruffy git! MM
mercalia

Re: Quality Pork Pies?

Post by mercalia »

what a load of sewage?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I thought of taking a trip to Barnard Castle when I saw the thread title :?
I have been there actually, the museum is gr8
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It is a nice little town. There is a prison there I used to visit. I would like Mr Cummings and his junior Mr Johnson to be housed there.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bo Jo = liar of the the highest/lowest order
Cummings = von Smallhousen
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I thought of taking a trip to Barnard Castle when I saw the thread title :?

I went to school there :) Peats the butchers did a good pork pie. Family business still there to this day.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I thought of taking a trip to Barnard Castle when I saw the thread title :?

I went to school there :) Peats the butchers did a good pork pie. Family business still there to this day.

Quite a few young men I came across said they once went to school there. To the Young Offenders Institution!

Actually, loads of the farmers round here went to school there. There seemed to be some sort of tradition to go to Barnard Castle School. A friend of mine was the bursar there.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Quite a few young men I came across said they once went to school there. To the Young Offenders Institution!

Actually, loads of the farmers round here went to school there. There seemed to be some sort of tradition to go to Barnard Castle School. A friend of mine was the bursar there.

Over 40 yrs ago we were driving between Selkirk and Moffat and came across broken down lorry. Gave the driver, from Glasgow, a lift to Moffat and he told us his son was at Barnard Castle :o Yes Deerbolt
I’ve been wracking my brain as there was a Cummings, a couple of years. above me who I never got on with and thought of him as a bit of a T***. Can’t remember his first name but wouldn’t surprise me if it’s DC father as the age would be right.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I went to school there :) Peats the butchers did a good pork pie. Family business still there to this day.

Over 40 yrs ago we were driving between Selkirk and Moffat and came across broken down lorry. Gave the driver, from Glasgow, a lift to Moffat and he told us his son was at Barnard Castle :o Yes Deerbolt
I’ve been wracking my brain as there was a Cummings, a couple of years. above me who I never got on with and thought of him as a bit of a T***. Can’t remember his first name but wouldn’t surprise me if it’s DC father as the age would be right.

I was a regular- temporary - visitor.

As for Cummings, was he Deerbolt or Barnard Castle? Deerbolt graduates went to Durham or Holme House on Teesside.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I can never quite make up my mind whether I prefer a scotch egg to a pork pie... I used to work in the centre of Oxford and at lunch-time, I'd potter cheerfully off to the covered market and continue my exploration of the above conundrum... There were several butchers, each with their speciality. David John's did a great selection of sausages, which is a whole different topic, of course, but their trump card was Tuesday morning, when they cooked the week's scotch eggs. By half twelve, they were still just warm. Oh Bliss!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote:I can never quite make up my mind whether I prefer a scotch egg to a pork pie...

When I lived in Otley a local butcher sold a divine bacon and egg pie.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I was put off pork pies many,many, years ago.
I found a pig's tooth in one, and have never had another!

There's truth in a tooth. :shock:

Sorry I'll get me coat.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I helped a friend of mine move to Otley, years ago. We were students in Bristol at the same time & were both in the Poly climbing club. If I think hard enough, I'll remember her name...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote:I helped a friend of mine move to Otley, years ago. We were students in Bristol at the same time & were both in the Poly climbing club. If I think hard enough, I'll remember her name...

I loved those fine square built Yorkshire gritstone terraces.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Many moons ago, me and my sister's boyfriend were in Wigan one afternoon.
He was from Bristol and very Bristolian. I was quite Wiggineese at the time.

I suggested we bought a meat pie for lunch, and he didn't understand what I was describing.
He called them Pork Pies, but we called them Meat Pies. Never forgotten that conversation .......... going back to 1970 perhaps.
Mick F. Cornwall