Test, Track and Trace - I don't understand

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Test, Track and Trace - I don't understand

Post by reohn2 »

For those who aren't aware of what's going on and has been going on for far far too long:- https://youtu.be/M4NNb0fmKR4
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mouth washes

It seems they are effective at killing covid19.

Abstract
The emergence of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 pandemic has created an unprecedented healthcare, social, and economic disaster. Wearing of masks and social distancing can significantly decrease transmission and spread, however, due to circumstances such as medical or dental intervention and personal choice these practices have not been universally adopted. Additional strategies are required to lessen transmission. Nasal rinses and mouthwashes, which directly impact the major sites of reception and transmission of human coronaviruses (HCoV), may provide an additional level of protection against the virus. Common over‐the‐counter nasal rinses and mouthwashes/gargles were tested for their ability to inactivate high concentrations of HCoV using contact times of 30 s, 1 min, and 2 min. Reductions in titers were measured by using the tissue culture infectious dose 50 (TCID50) assay. A 1% baby shampoo nasal rinse solution inactivated HCoV greater than 99.9% with a 2‐min contact time. Several over‐the‐counter mouthwash/gargle products including Listerine and Listerine‐like products were highly effective at inactivating infectious virus with greater than 99.9% even with a 30‐s contact time. In the current manuscript we have demonstrated that several commonly available healthcare products have significant virucidal properties with respect to HCoV.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.26514?
Last edited by mercalia on 27 Oct 2020, 1:39pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mercalia wrote:It seems they are effective at killing covid19.

Which virus was used in that study?

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It seems at least one senior Tory has had enough of the useless Dido Harding doing what she does best...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Jdsk wrote:Which virus was used in that study?Jonathan
from the paper...
HCoV‐229e was used as a surrogate for SARS‐CoV‐2. While there are clear differences in the pathogenicity of these viruses, they are in the same virus family, have very similar structures, and are both human respiratory pathogens.
How exciting!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You've gone and read the actual paper!

; - )

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote:It seems at least one senior Tory has had enough of the useless Dido Harding doing what she does best...

One down another three hundred to go,will we ever learn that the real parasites are the Tory party?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Jdsk wrote:You've gone and read the actual paper!
Careful of the unseemly scramble for Listerine shares! :wink:
S