Face Coverings now Compulsory

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Face Coverings now Compulsory

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It feels a bit queer, I am trying to communicate/smile with my eyes because smiling with my mouth is hidden
I guess one tries to talk more clearly too

Surely masks should have been introduced much sooner. One wonders whether there are parallels to risk compensation with helmuts, I strongly suspect and fear that is the case
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote:Not recommended, optional, now compulsory. Has the science changed or is it another flipflop by the Govt?

My understanding is there have been more studies but not all reviewed and published yet. So a bit of both?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:The problem with making something compulsory, is that there won't be a standard.

Just fit a big sock over your head or wear a balaclava?

Define "face covering".

what about a ladies stocking? burglar style. how many denier ( I think thats the term?)

also label your bag Swag
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Tangled Metal wrote:There's always the no sew sock mask option. Snip the ends off then snip up the inside of the bend and partway up from the folded outer of the bend. Then you simply open up and pull the slits in the sides over your ears. It covers the nose neatly and round under your chin. You can add a kitchen paper filter inside for more filtration. You look a prat though but does that matter?

I suppose it matters in that it is akin to using a chain-link fence to keep out mosquitos.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Mick F wrote:The problem with making something compulsory, is that there won't be a standard.

Define "face covering".

Anything that makes you look like a letter box? ;)
SeptCollines

Post by SeptCollines »

Define "face covering".

They're debating this on Radio2 now.Apparently it is a covering not a mask.An "expert" has said the Science hasn't really changed and evidence is still weak.Why the sudden turnaround then?
I'm glad I don't need to use public transport!
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

So yet another u-turn from Boris and his incompetents.
Winging it just does not cover how poorly they have handled this entire situation.We surely must be the laughing stock of Europe now more than any time since the B word.How many more mistakes and blunders will they be able to get away with?
I have a few buffs that I wear when it's cold for just incase they decide to make it compulsory for face coverings to be worn in public generally.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

AlaninWales wrote:

Define "face covering".

Anything that makes you look like a letter box? ;)

well some women usually dressed in black, head to foot, will have the last laugh?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Freddie wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:There's always the no sew sock mask option. Snip the ends off then snip up the inside of the bend and partway up from the folded outer of the bend. Then you simply open up and pull the slits in the sides over your ears. It covers the nose neatly and round under your chin. You can add a kitchen paper filter inside for more filtration. You look a prat though but does that matter?

I suppose it matters in that it is akin to using a chain-link fence to keep out mosquitos.

Except in this case the aim is not to keep anything out.
The aim is to reduce the momentum of the airflow produced by coughing, sneezing, talking, and just breathing.
If you reduce the momentum of the airflow, the virus particles cannot travel as far, and will be less likely to end up in someone elses airway and/or mucus membranes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rualexander wrote:
Freddie wrote:

Except in this case the aim is not to keep anything out.
The aim is to reduce the momentum of the airflow produced by coughing, sneezing, talking, and just breathing.
If you reduce the momentum of the airflow, the virus particles cannot travel as far, and will be less likely to end up in someone elses airway and/or mucus membranes.

Spot on!
Therebye in close proximity ie; on public transport the contagion risk is minmised.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

rualexander wrote:Except in this case the aim is not to keep anything out.
If a person has symptoms, perhaps they should stay at home. For what length of time must the rest of us make a merry dance for a virus that is of minimal consequence to all but the most frail and sickly.

If this was important, why not implement it at the peak, rather than now.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

I've been wearing a mask for some weeks now.

No-one told me that it ought to be on my head.

Not caught anything, so it's been working anyway.

Happy days,
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Freddie wrote:
[If a person has symptoms, perhaps they should stay at home. For what length of time must the rest of us make a merry dance for a virus that is of minimal consequence to all but the most frail and sickly.

If this was important, why not implement it at the peak, rather than now.

If everyone spreading the virus showed symptoms then it’d be easy wouldn’t it?
Where have you got the info the 40,000 deaths were all frail and sickly? Perhaps you’d like to just group them as not important then?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

40,000 is about as many as have died of the Flu in particularly bad years. How many people have died of Flu this year (between Jan and March, say) or is every death unequivocally COVID 19?

No death is unimportant, but the truth is also important.
Gravity Man

Post by Gravity Man »

I'm not at all sure about this face covering / mask edict being a good thing.

Here in Rio, and all over Brazil, many people have been wearing face coverings and social distancing for weeks now. However, looking at the awful figures (which might or might not be accurate but are very probably weighted to the low side) on the increasing C-19 infections and deaths, covering noses and mouths isn't really doing all that much to mitigate the spread.

Still, better to do something than to do nothing, I suppose.
If there's always biscuits in the tin, where's the fun in biscuits ? -- Gary from 'Men Behaving Badly' :mrgreen: