George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Vorpal
Sorry I was meaning in the UK,but I take your point it seems to me the US system is broken,though viewed from afar it seems to me most of their systems are broken :?

Yeah, unfortunately lots of stuff is broken. I think part of what is driving the protests is that many people didn't really realise how broken it was until mass electronic communication & social media told them that other systems work better. Some people still don't realise it.

Agreed,I'd suggest many those people eho don't realise it don't wish to look,"there are nome so blind as them that won't see" as I've posted a few times recently.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Thinking about this earlier (wonderful how cycling promotes reflection!). I guess in the US police officers don't only have to assume anybody could be carrying a firearm but that if a civilian gets their weapon they could well know where the safety catch is, how to get the first bullet into the chamber etc. It's not just that fewer UK officers have a firearm; very few ordinary people actually know how to use one.

It's not necessarily an excuse for US police behaviour, but you can imagine tbat keeping your own firearm must loom large in police officers' minds when things go pear-shaped.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Sorry, but in this country it is still possible for police officers to walk away with pension intact, no disciplinary proceedings even when there is a prima fascia case against them! I had a forces Chief Officer banged to rights for falsifying custody record, attempting to pervert the course of justice and even mis-conduct in office? Wandered off into the sunset of his years!
I then had officers from his force giving me chapter & verse about how he ran his bally-wick,bit like the Dukes of Hazard.
Custodis et Custodis! MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:Thinking about this earlier (wonderful how cycling promotes reflection!). I guess in the US police officers don't only have to assume anybody could be carrying a firearm but that if a civilian gets their weapon they could well know where the safety catch is, how to get the first bullet into the chamber etc. It's not just that fewer UK officers have a firearm; very few ordinary people actually know how to use one.

It's not necessarily an excuse for US police behaviour, but you can imagine tbat keeping your own firearm must loom large in police officers' minds when things go pear-shaped.

There's something wrong over there.....
The link is a police body cam video of a police officer challenging a black man next to his own apartment block for picking up litter,a truly bizarre incident,but from others I've seen it doesn't surprise me.
Please watch an be amazed :- https://youtu.be/Q9SZlypyK-4
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Thinking about this earlier (wonderful how cycling promotes reflection!). I guess in the US police officers don't only have to assume anybody could be carrying a firearm but that if a civilian gets their weapon they could well know where the safety catch is, how to get the first bullet into the chamber etc. It's not just that fewer UK officers have a firearm; very few ordinary people actually know how to use one.

There's something wrong over there.....
The link is a police body cam video of a police officer challenging a black man next to his own apartment block for picking up litter,a truly bizarre incident,but from others I've seen it doesn't surprise me.
Please watch an be amazed :- https://youtu.be/Q9SZlypyK-4

Not amazing. Sad.

When wondering why the latest victim ran, remember it might have been due to his past experience of the police, as described memorably but swearily by Trevor Noah regarding another topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlL05Qto8mM
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

OK amazingly sad.
W H Auden
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Given the recent prominence of police killing a handcuffed black man, people are saying that a black man was justifiably killed because he resisted being handcuffed?

WTFlip?
hamish

Post by hamish »

In answer to the original question... yes.

There are a lot of questions about what it all means and what should happen next. But I think that pulling down that statue on that day was a good thing.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:Not amazing. Sad.

When wondering why the latest victim ran, remember it might have been due to his past experience of the police, as described memorably but swearily by Trevor Noah regarding another topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlL05Qto8mM

Maybe he was thinking of George Floyd.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see a bunch of protectors of the statues have been protecting George Eliot's statue in Nuneaton.

Do they actually know who she was?
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see a bunch of protectors of the statues have been protecting George Eliot's statue in Nuneaton.

If they did they'd know her effigy moremthan likely didn't need protecting :lol:
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I see a bunch of protectors of the statues have been protecting George Eliot's statue in Nuneaton.

If they did they'd know her effigy moremthan likely didn't need protecting :lol:

In Newcastle they were 'protecting' Earl Grey's Monument. Earl Grey was the PM of the government which ended slavery. The monument is on a pedestal 135' high. Not sure what BLM people were going to do.

How do these people manage to tie their laces?

And if you are an anti- anti-fascist what does that make you?
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I had an aunty like that once:- https://youtu.be/iaXzojwyMBA
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Replacement statue donated to the city and county of Bristol: View: https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcrb/status ... 9871323137
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:Replacement statue donated to the city and county of Bristol: View: https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcrb/status ... 9871323137

Brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden