George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Will

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Post by Will »

Oldjohnw wrote:Latest black man shot by police in Atlanta: shot as he fled.

Hardly a struggle or self defence.

Judge for yourself:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1271873991695835139

Will
pwa

Post by pwa »

jgurney wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Slavery hasn't been stopped. There's slavery in every country on earth. UK has slavery

Only if you apply a very loose definition of the word. Slavery exists where it is possible for a person to be de jure the property of another person (e.g. so that they can lawfully be bought or sold). That does not happen here.
Kidnapping someone, holding them captive and forcing them to work (which is possible de facto) is not in itself slavery.

What you are saying is that illegal slavery is not possible. But the fact that it is illegal does not automatically put an end to any form of abuse.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Will wrote:

Judge for yourself:

Will

Like I said, shot whilst running away. I don't know the original issue but he sure never got his time in court.
John
Will

Post by Will »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Will wrote:

Judge for yourself:

Will

Like I said, shot whilst running away. I don't know the original issue but he sure never got his time in court.

"Hardly a struggle" - He fought with two police officers who were trying to arrest him, wrestled them both to the ground, punched them in the face, disarmed one of his tazer and fled. The first one chasing him had his tazer in his hand, I suspect that the one who shot him was the other officer (who had his tazer taken off him).

" but he sure never got his time in court." - I don't think he wanted a day in court.

Will
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Will wrote:

Judge for yourself:

Will

Drunk and resisting arrest. I suppose the main thing is do not fight with US law enforcement. According to US news reports he got hold of one of the police officer's stun guns (taser?) and then pointed it at the officer. Should he be allowed to taser the officer to get away? Should the officer use lethal force? And race apart we all know there's a different approach to policing in the USA.
pwa

Post by pwa »

This new case seems a bit more muddy in terms of who did what, and the accounts we are getting at this point have the victim as a drink driver who resisted arrest, fought with police and pointed a tazer at police. None of which explains why he should have been shot.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

pwa wrote:This new case seems a bit more muddy in terms of who did what, and the accounts we are getting at this point have the victim as a drink driver who resisted arrest, fought with police and pointed a tazer at police. None of which explains why he should have been shot.

If he hadn't been shot it would have come down to a tazer duel between him and the officer who still had his tazer.
He was probably shot under the assumption that he would use the tazer - I'm glad policing here is more low key and our police IN GENERALl try to prevent confrontations escalating.
The problem in the U.S is the widespread availability of firearms.
The suspect MAY be armed , the police ARE armed and probably act on the assumption that the suspect IS armed.
Will

Post by Will »

The body camera from one of the police officers is on YouTube. Unfortunately it gets knocked off during the struggle and you don't see the end, but it makes it clear that there was nothing inappropriate in the police officers behaviour prior to it all kicking off and it was completely the fault of the person being arrested that it escalated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOiKgmCJwls

I have read elsewhere that he had turned around and was pointing the tazer at the police officer that shot him (probably the one he took the tazer off).

Will
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning, Maybe the out-dated "Right to bear arms" should end, working towards a society where carrying any weapon is eliminated?
When faced with threat of serious injury or death even the best police officer might consider using what weapon they may have been authorized to use with deadly force! Wrong we know, but where the expectation is that a person is almost certain to be armed such will always be the case.
Sadly this country is on the endless drift towards the regular arming of all police, impelled by the availability of illegal weapons for the furtherance of crime!
Of course the officer should have tried to disable the offender, but the nature of a moving target draws them to go for the broad target, the torso, with many of the delicate bits inside?
The deterrent against carrying a weapon is poor in this country, non-existent in the "Land of the Free"! I think that the inscription in Dante's Inferno apply's, depressing. :? :( :oops: . IGICB MM
Will

Post by Will »

merseymouth wrote:Of course the officer should have tried to disable the offender, but the nature of a moving target draws them to go for the broad target, the torso, with many of the delicate bits inside?

I think you watch too much television.

Will
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What is the point of posting that video? Is it meant to demonstrate something?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Will

Post by Will »

Vorpal wrote:What is the point of posting that video? Is it meant to demonstrate something?

It demonstrates that the police officers were behaving appropriately and it was Rayshard Brooks that escalated the situation. The police officer in that video was more polite and respectful than you see on British TV programmes like Police Interceptors. The video doesn't suit the narrative of police brutality, so some may object to it.

Will
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, I wish I didn't have sight of much of the stuff that appears on our TV's, but unless it is all "Fake Footage" there is a real issue of armed reactions on both sides!
The horrors that we see make many of us wish the firearm could be un-invented?
The footage of the most recent incident may not be portraying the full story, it certainly causes concerns to be raised about all of the actions & reactions! Oh to recall the days when one was only likely to be subjected to a wack around the shell-like with a 15" Truncheon, almost a welcomed experience?
We need solutions not a revisiting of atrocities! MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Behaving suitably? Shooting a man in the back?
John
Will

Post by Will »

From the Guardian:

At the restaurant on Saturday, Crystal Brooks, who said she was Brooks’ sister-in-law, told the AP: “He wasn’t causing anyone any harm. The police went up to the car and even though the car was parked they pulled him out of the car and started tussling with him. He did grab the Taser, but he just grabbed the Taser and ran.”

Can anyone here honestly say after watching the body cam video, that that is an accurate description of what happened.

Will