George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby reohn2 » 14 Jun 2020, 3:18pm

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Vorpal
Sorry I was meaning in the UK,but I take your point it seems to me the US system is broken,though viewed from afar it seems to me most of their systems are broken :?

Yeah, unfortunately lots of stuff is broken. I think part of what is driving the protests is that many people didn't really realise how broken it was until mass electronic communication & social media told them that other systems work better. Some people still don't realise it.

Agreed,I'd suggest many those people eho don't realise it don't wish to look,"there are nome so blind as them that won't see" as I've posted a few times recently.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2378
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby Ben@Forest » 14 Jun 2020, 3:52pm

Thinking about this earlier (wonderful how cycling promotes reflection!). I guess in the US police officers don't only have to assume anybody could be carrying a firearm but that if a civilian gets their weapon they could well know where the safety catch is, how to get the first bullet into the chamber etc. It's not just that fewer UK officers have a firearm; very few ordinary people actually know how to use one.

It's not necessarily an excuse for US police behaviour, but you can imagine tbat keeping your own firearm must loom large in police officers' minds when things go pear-shaped.

merseymouth
Posts: 1785
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby merseymouth » 14 Jun 2020, 4:20pm

Sorry, but in this country it is still possible for police officers to walk away with pension intact, no disciplinary proceedings even when there is a prima fascia case against them! I had a forces Chief Officer banged to rights for falsifying custody record, attempting to pervert the course of justice and even mis-conduct in office? Wandered off into the sunset of his years!
I then had officers from his force giving me chapter & verse about how he ran his bally-wick,bit like the Dukes of Hazard.
Custodis et Custodis! MM

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jun 2020, 8:20am

Ben@Forest wrote:Thinking about this earlier (wonderful how cycling promotes reflection!). I guess in the US police officers don't only have to assume anybody could be carrying a firearm but that if a civilian gets their weapon they could well know where the safety catch is, how to get the first bullet into the chamber etc. It's not just that fewer UK officers have a firearm; very few ordinary people actually know how to use one.

It's not necessarily an excuse for US police behaviour, but you can imagine tbat keeping your own firearm must loom large in police officers' minds when things go pear-shaped.


There's something wrong over there.....
The link is a police body cam video of a police officer challenging a black man next to his own apartment block for picking up litter,a truly bizarre incident,but from others I've seen it doesn't surprise me.
Please watch an be amazed :- https://youtu.be/Q9SZlypyK-4
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15702
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby mjr » 15 Jun 2020, 8:50am

reohn2 wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Thinking about this earlier (wonderful how cycling promotes reflection!). I guess in the US police officers don't only have to assume anybody could be carrying a firearm but that if a civilian gets their weapon they could well know where the safety catch is, how to get the first bullet into the chamber etc. It's not just that fewer UK officers have a firearm; very few ordinary people actually know how to use one.

It's not necessarily an excuse for US police behaviour, but you can imagine tbat keeping your own firearm must loom large in police officers' minds when things go pear-shaped.


There's something wrong over there.....
The link is a police body cam video of a police officer challenging a black man next to his own apartment block for picking up litter,a truly bizarre incident,but from others I've seen it doesn't surprise me.
Please watch an be amazed :- https://youtu.be/Q9SZlypyK-4

Not amazing. Sad.

When wondering why the latest victim ran, remember it might have been due to his past experience of the police, as described memorably but swearily by Trevor Noah regarding another topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlL05Qto8mM
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jun 2020, 9:00am

OK amazingly sad.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

AlaninWales
Posts: 1604
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby AlaninWales » 15 Jun 2020, 5:43pm

Given the recent prominence of police killing a handcuffed black man, people are saying that a black man was justifiably killed because he resisted being handcuffed?


WTFlip?

hamish
Posts: 421
Joined: 5 Mar 2008, 11:29pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby hamish » 15 Jun 2020, 7:44pm

In answer to the original question... yes.

There are a lot of questions about what it all means and what should happen next. But I think that pulling down that statue on that day was a good thing.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 18239
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby Vorpal » 15 Jun 2020, 10:04pm

mjr wrote:Not amazing. Sad.

When wondering why the latest victim ran, remember it might have been due to his past experience of the police, as described memorably but swearily by Trevor Noah regarding another topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlL05Qto8mM

Maybe he was thinking of George Floyd.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4508
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby Oldjohnw » 16 Jun 2020, 11:45am

I see a bunch of protectors of the statues have been protecting George Eliot's statue in Nuneaton.

Do they actually know who she was?
John

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jun 2020, 12:00pm

Oldjohnw wrote:I see a bunch of protectors of the statues have been protecting George Eliot's statue in Nuneaton.

Do they actually know who she was?

If they did they'd know her effigy moremthan likely didn't need protecting :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4508
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby Oldjohnw » 16 Jun 2020, 12:31pm

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I see a bunch of protectors of the statues have been protecting George Eliot's statue in Nuneaton.

Do they actually know who she was?

If they did they'd know her effigy moremthan likely didn't need protecting :lol:



In Newcastle they were 'protecting' Earl Grey's Monument. Earl Grey was the PM of the government which ended slavery. The monument is on a pedestal 135' high. Not sure what BLM people were going to do.

How do these people manage to tie their laces?

And if you are an anti- anti-fascist what does that make you?
John

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jun 2020, 12:41pm

I had an aunty like that once:- https://youtu.be/iaXzojwyMBA
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15702
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby mjr » 16 Jun 2020, 2:01pm

Replacement statue donated to the city and county of Bristol: View: https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcrb/status ... 9871323137
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: George Floyd death: Protesters tear down slave trader statue

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jun 2020, 2:05pm

mjr wrote:Replacement statue donated to the city and county of Bristol: View: https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcrb/status ... 9871323137

Brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.