Pre-owned costing more than new.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: Pre-owned costing more than new.

Postby merseymouth » 24 Jun 2020, 3:59pm

Yo, That would be missing the point? New watches, no abuse or misuse involved, just failed, went Kaput!
As my two friend found out - "Not up to merchantable quality"! Got their money back. My childhood Timex ran better. MM

Syd

Postby Syd » 24 Jun 2020, 5:11pm

merseymouth wrote:Yo, That would be missing the point? New watches, no abuse or misuse involved, just failed, went Kaput!
As my two friend found out - "Not up to merchantable quality"! Got their money back. My childhood Timex ran better. MM

The Rolex Submariner is a workhorse and there are a great many Milsub watches, as they become know, from that era still going strong

If they have genuinely gone down the ‘not up to merchantable quality’ route in order to get a refund it sounds very much like buyers regret to me.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 24 Jun 2020, 5:29pm

O Sorry Syd, We must all be liars :oops:
Lemon Las came in because sometimes even the best company can turn out a dud or three! Reality check please. MM

Syd

Postby Syd » 24 Jun 2020, 5:57pm

merseymouth wrote:O Sorry Syd, We must all be liars :oops:
Lemon Las came in because sometimes even the best company can turn out a dud or three! Reality check please. MM

Where have I said it’s lies?

Any manufacturer can make the odd dud however a single fault (1 per watch), however, does not a lemon make.

Check your own reality.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 24 Jun 2020, 8:19pm

Why do old paintings, watches, etc sell for millions?

Nick Hornby wrote a book that explained football and made it fashionable, could Syd do likewise for watch collecting?

Not sure if I should like wearing a used watch, could it transmit virii? I have a lot of secondhand books, but that is different (they educate, inform and entertain), besides, I acquired many of them for nothing
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Syd

Postby Syd » 24 Jun 2020, 8:27pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Why do old paintings, watches, etc sell for millions?

Nick Hornby wrote a book that explained football and made it fashionable, could Syd do likewise for watch collecting?

Not sure if I should like wearing a used watch, could it transmit virii? I have a lot of secondhand books, but that is different (they educate, inform and entertain), besides, I acquired many of them for nothing

Virues wouldn’t survive long enough on watch materials and more than they would on paper to pose a threat of transmission.

I’ve got some watches from the 1960s and Mrs Syd one from 1920 neither of which viruses were even a notional though.

There are already many very good books on watches and I’m in no position to compete with them.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 24 Jun 2020, 8:33pm

Could you recommend a book for the layperson?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Syd

Pre-owned costing more than new.

Postby Syd » 24 Jun 2020, 8:51pm

One good book I read is A Man And His Watch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1579657141/ ... 8Eb54YWTS9

It’s not a technical book but simply looks at well known people and their watch and, most importantly, what that watch means to them.

At the end on the day people can connect with a watch for a great many reasons whether it is a Casio MQ-24 at £5.99 or a Patek Phillipe 5271P at £240,000.

I once saw a few signs up near work from someone trying to find a Casio he had lost. The watch in question could easily and cheaply be replaced (~£8) but the lost one had been his grandfather’s and as such was irreplaceable.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 25 Jun 2020, 9:39am

Well Syd, You implied that the two friends who in the space of a couple of months that suffered Rolex failures must have decided to reverse their transactions for reason of a mere whim, that implies I'm being untruthful!
But in these dangerous times what will you be doing to imitate both Samuel Pepys & Thomas Tompion? MM

Syd

Postby Syd » 25 Jun 2020, 11:47am

merseymouth wrote:Well Syd, You implied that the two friends who in the space of a couple of months that suffered Rolex failures must have decided to reverse their transactions for reason of a mere whim, that implies I'm being untruthful!
But in these dangerous times what will you be doing to imitate both Samuel Pepys & Thomas Tompion? MM

I simply stated that, after the watch failed once after a short time, they set out out to have the watch declared to not be of merchantable quality and seek a refund.

Having done so on a product myself I know that, usually, requires significant effort (certainly far more than accepting a warranty repair). Given a single failure that usually indicates some remorse of the initial purchase by the buyer.

Where does that indicate your are being untruthful?

As for emulating writers I have no intention.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 25 Jun 2020, 11:56am

Hi Syd, Thomas Tompion was certainly not a writer and although Pepys is noted for his diary he was a mandarin in the navy department.
The link between the two of them relates to the Great Fire of London. The both buried something in their gardens in the hope that the treasured item would survive?
Pepys buried a Parmesan Cheese, it did survive!
Tompion was a clock-maker of renown, so the item he buried was the clock that he was creating at that time. I have no knowledge of whether it was ever recovered or indeed ever found?? At least it wouldn't have leaking battery issues! MM

Syd

Postby Syd » 25 Jun 2020, 12:09pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi Syd, Thomas Tompion was certainly not a writer and although Pepys is noted for his diary he was a mandarin in the navy department.
The link between the two of them relates to the Great Fire of London. The both buried something in their gardens in the hope that the treasured item would survive?
Pepys buried a Parmesan Cheese, it did survive!
Tompion was a clock-maker of renown, so the item he buried was the clock that he was creating at that time. I have no knowledge of whether it was ever recovered or indeed ever found?? At least it wouldn't have leaking battery issues! MM

I am aware of Tompion but have never claimed to have any skills as a watchmaker. Replacement or resizing of watch straps is as far as I go.

As for battery leakages, my preference is very much in mechanical watches.