Apprentice Pieces

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
colin54
Posts: 1297
Joined: 24 Sep 2013, 4:34pm

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby colin54 » 14 Jun 2020, 5:29pm

My memory's a bit hazy, but weren't these pieces from some sort of engineering industry work book,
something ...Industry Training Board comes to mind, possibly different in the RN Mick ?
I made the scribing block similar to the one pictured up thread, a G-Clamp with square cut screw thread, the tool box with hand finished rivets (not 'pop'), a pair of large toolmakers clamp and pictured below
large and small tap holders an odd leg scribing caliper and a little soldered tin plate box with a sliding lid. The small tap holder pictured is a tricky little thing with a sliding jaw with a little pin inserted at 90 degrees that engaged in a slot on the holder body so that the v end always presented itself in the correct position for the tap. If you look closely you can see where where I nicked the body with a milling cutter by mistake and the terrible knurling, bad workmanship is forever . These are all I have left now, the rest having succumbed to DSI (Damp Shed Syndrome over the years).
P1130819.JPG

It was a shame when all the government training centres were shut down, you could learn virtually all the trades to some sort of level even if you couldn't get an apprenticeship or needed to re-train. My late Father was a hosiery knitter by trade and when he was laid off in the mid '60's he was able to re-train as an instrument fitter (precision machinist) whilst being paid a previous earnings related amount during the course. He ended up working at the local Royal Naval Research Establishment.This place was considered top secret locally, but years later here's a Pathe
News clip of some work they were doing on lasers at the time on You Tube ! I thought this might be of interest to you Mick. You have to love the meccano frame holding the laser !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj2qTYgi_vE

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8687
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby al_yrpal » 14 Jun 2020, 6:14pm

I think the Engineering Industry training board came into being in the mid 60s. At that time a lot of employers werent doing their bit training craftsmen. They had to either train people or pay a levy if they didnt. The levy was then distributed somehow to those firms that did.
I think the concept of apprentices pieces came from the military and was widely adopted by other organisations. The organisation that trained me via a Student Apprenticeship was originally the Ministry of Supply. Then it changed to the Ministry of Aviation and later the Ministry of Defence. At the Royal Aircraft Establishment there were 400 apprentices, about 300 Craft Apprentices and 100 Student Apprentices. The Royal Ordinance Factories and places like Aldermaston BOAC BEA Harwell Burfield and the CEGB etc also trained Apprentices. The organisation I trained with is now private, Qinetic, the science and engineering tasks that we carried out are now farmed out and Qinetic is a world class innovator. The RAF had a training school for apprentices at RAF Halton and the Army and Navy had places too. Reputable big companies still train apprentices in really good schemes. However the government so called scheme for private employers is mostly a bit of scotch mist as far as I can see. Every apprentice I see I ask about deeds. These set out what the employer must provide and what the apprentice must achieve. I always get a blank look...

Student Apprentices are now touted as the answer to solve our obvious weaknesses in Technology and Science. Practical training for Engineering graduates would make them more useful immediately. How great ideas come around again. About 50 years too late...

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

merseymouth
Posts: 1778
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby merseymouth » 14 Jun 2020, 6:31pm

Wow Al, Talking about good old "Indentures"! Steeped in tradition. Use Steredent myself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8687
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby al_yrpal » 14 Jun 2020, 6:46pm

My little old Miners Cottage in Cornwall had indentures too.

MM you arent old enough for dentures? Or are you :shock:

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 49156
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby Mick F » 14 Jun 2020, 7:13pm

Cunobelin wrote:As a Scablifter, we were always taught that Naval Engineering was a two-day course...

Day 1 - Things that don't move, but should

LIberally apply WD40 and hit it with a hammer

Day 2 Things that move, but shouldn't

Wrap in Pussers Gaffer tape until it can't move

Day 3 - Passing out parade
If it moves, salute it.
If it doesn't move, paint it. :D

----------------------------------------------------

Can I just say, how wonderful it is to read about other apprentices and their training and stuff.
Absolutely wonderful.

I was asked on a different thread to show my workshop pieces and this thread has grown.
Very impressed with all your memories.

Here's another of my bits.
Woodruff key in a block.
Shaping by using a lathe and turning the brass and hole, and the rear face was left as it was to show how our work on making our own lathe facing tool worked and how we marked out the square slot.
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10728
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby Cunobelin » 14 Jun 2020, 7:30pm

Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:As a Scablifter, we were always taught that Naval Engineering was a two-day course...

Day 1 - Things that don't move, but should

LIberally apply WD40 and hit it with a hammer

Day 2 Things that move, but shouldn't

Wrap in Pussers Gaffer tape until it can't move

Day 3 - Passing out parade
If it moves, salute it.
If it doesn't move, paint it. :D

----------------------------------------------------

Can I just say, how wonderful it is to read about other apprentices and their training and stuff.
Absolutely wonderful.

I was asked on a different thread to show my workshop pieces and this thread has grown.
Very impressed with all your memories.

Here's another of my bits.
Woodruff key in a block.
Shaping by using a lathe and turning the brass and hole, and the rear face was left as it was to show how our work on making our own lathe facing tool worked and how we marked out the square slot.
$matches[2]$matches[2]IMG_0040.jpg



REgret that as a RAdiographer, all my "apprentice pieces have long gone, we could never really bring films home. All I have is my logbooks and case studies.

I was the first person to actually present a word-processed practical record and case studies. Amstrad word processor with a 9 pin dot matrix printer. 3 minutes of multi-pass rattling before you got a "high quality" page

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8687
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby al_yrpal » 14 Jun 2020, 7:50pm

As an apprentice I trained for a short time in the AIDs non destructive test laboratory. Magnetic crack detection, ultrasonics and of course radiography. My most fearful task was extracting a gamma ray source from a lead ball on the end of a steel rod and quickly taking it into an area surrounded by concrete blocks and clamping it in position to take a radiograph of a large forging. Not good for the nuts! :shock:

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13454
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby Cyril Haearn » 14 Jun 2020, 8:13pm

God made heaven and earth
Mick F and his like built all the rest
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
ferrit worrier
Posts: 5293
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 7:58pm
Location: south Manchester

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby ferrit worrier » 14 Jun 2020, 8:58pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:God made heaven and earth
Mick F and his like built all the rest


This thread is a trip down memory lane, slightly off thread Cyrils' quote reminded me of a saying a friends mother had

" God made the earth and all that it contains
except the Scottish highlands which are owned by McBrains"

Sorry back to thread.
inside and outside calipers, odd legs or "Jennys" and a hand vice (that wasn't one of my best pieces :oops: ) hence the leg that's missing
IMG_1134.JPG


latest product of the workshop a new barbie using an old 16in wheel rim as the base, the insert that holds the coals lifts out then you can use it as a fire pit :D
IMG_1135.JPG
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13454
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby Cyril Haearn » 14 Jun 2020, 9:04pm

ferrit worrier wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:God made heaven and earth
Mick F and his like built all the rest


This thread is a trip down memory lane, slightly off thread Cyrils' quote reminded me of a saying a friends mother had

" God made the earth and all that it contains
except the Scottish highlands which are owned by McBrains"

I am not so technical, more literary

I think it should be 'except the Kyles and the Western Isles, for they are all MacBraynes' :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 2868
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby simonineaston » 14 Jun 2020, 10:15pm

My late Father was a hosiery knitter by trade and when he was laid off in the mid '60's he was able to re-train as an instrument fitter (precision machinist) whilst being paid a previous earnings related amount during the course
Blimey - that sounds like some sort of system that takes people and their skills & experience into consideration - wonder what happened to that sort of thing...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

User avatar
ferrit worrier
Posts: 5293
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 7:58pm
Location: south Manchester

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby ferrit worrier » 15 Jun 2020, 8:24am

Cyril Haearn wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:God made heaven and earth
Mick F and his like built all the rest


This thread is a trip down memory lane, slightly off thread Cyrils' quote reminded me of a saying a friends mother had

" God made the earth and all that it contains
except the Scottish highlands which are owned by McBrains"

I am not so technical, more literary

I think it should be 'except the Kyles and the Western Isles, for they are all MacBraynes' :wink:


MacBraynes, that's it! It didn't look right when I typed it. In the seventies I stayed at a CHA guest house, Craig Mhor
in Onich near Fort William on a walking holiday, transport was provided by MacBraynes single decker bus, sliding front door and half cab for the driver. If I'm not mistaken they had a depot in Kinlochleven
Craig Mhorw.jpg

picture taken in 2009 on my first end to end.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

francovendee
Posts: 1423
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby francovendee » 15 Jun 2020, 8:55am

al_yrpal wrote:
Student Apprentices are now touted as the answer to solve our obvious weaknesses in Technology and Science. Practical training for Engineering graduates would make them more useful immediately. How great ideas come around again. About 50 years too late...

Al

I think I'd better have a lie down, I keep agreeing with your posts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13454
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby Cyril Haearn » 15 Jun 2020, 9:14am

Right again fw, I thought MacBraynes only controlled the water :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8687
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Apprentice Pieces

Postby al_yrpal » 15 Jun 2020, 9:49am

francovendee wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Student Apprentices are now touted as the answer to solve our obvious weaknesses in Technology and Science. Practical training for Engineering graduates would make them more useful immediately. How great ideas come around again. About 50 years too late...

Al

I think I'd better have a lie down, I keep agreeing with your posts :lol: :lol: :lol:


Always nice to know :D

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...