CUK supports BLM

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
cyclemad
Posts: 168
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 9:16pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby cyclemad » 4 Jul 2020, 6:31pm

robing wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
robing wrote:Where does it end?


Good question.

How about when BAME people are equally treated and represented in the UK cycling community?


They already are.

agreed......

This country is the most diverse / equal opps country in the world.

My partner is from a BAME background and to quote her ;-

'why do some people feel it is necessary to place a black person or person of colour in a position / role just to appease the political correct brigade - equality means what it says ==== EQUALITY.....we treat everyone the same and dont place anyone above anyone else just because they are a different colour ......The token black person on the board of the company or organisation just to say ''we have a black person so we are ok ''

Mike Sales
Posts: 5244
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Mike Sales » 4 Jul 2020, 6:35pm

I am once again depressed by those who persuade themselves that white people get a raw deal.
I keep telling myself not to waste my time in this swamp of apologists for racists and racism.
Bernard Shaw had it right with his advice about wrestling with pigs.
"You both get filthy and the pig enjoys it."
Toodle pip.

slowster
Posts: 1686
Joined: 7 Jul 2017, 10:37am

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby slowster » 4 Jul 2020, 7:46pm

robing wrote:
slowster wrote:
robing wrote:This. I could have got behind the movement if it hadn't been hijacked by a left wing agenda.
And this is where Cycling UK made an error in judgement supporting BLM.

Cycling UK are not supporting the organisation Black Lives Matter. Reading the statement it's clear that their position on the wider issues being raised following the protests is focused on addressing any discrimination and prejudice in Cycling UK's own organisation, cycling promotion and campaigning.

But that was already explained quite clearly by Tangled Metal in his response to your post on page 2 on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=138461&start=15#p1495875

Completely disagree. CUK's statement and photo of the BLM graffiti was overtly political and had nothing to do with cycling in the UK. Their timing was poor - coming just after the protests in London that turned violent. Where does it end? Why don't they comment on the oppression of Hong Kong by China for instance?

Tangled Metal has already explained why your opinions are not supported by the actual text of the statement. Insisting that CUK are supporting the BLM organisation and that their statement was overtly political suggests that you are unable or unwilling to read and understand what the statement says, rather than what you think it says.

robing wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
robing wrote:Where does it end?


Good question.

How about when BAME people are equally treated and represented in the UK cycling community?


They already are.

Currently 17% of the adult UK population cycle at least once a month, but only 12% of black adults do so. That is from the CUK Strategy referred to in the CUK statement. That is a fact, whereas your assertions are just opinions which are either unsupported or contradicted by facts.

ossie
Posts: 1059
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby ossie » 4 Jul 2020, 8:12pm

.
Last edited by ossie on 4 Jul 2020, 11:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

robing
Posts: 1244
Joined: 7 Sep 2014, 9:11am

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby robing » 4 Jul 2020, 8:18pm

slowster wrote:
robing wrote:
slowster wrote:Cycling UK are not supporting the organisation Black Lives Matter. Reading the statement it's clear that their position on the wider issues being raised following the protests is focused on addressing any discrimination and prejudice in Cycling UK's own organisation, cycling promotion and campaigning.

But that was already explained quite clearly by Tangled Metal in his response to your post on page 2 on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=138461&start=15#p1495875

Completely disagree. CUK's statement and photo of the BLM graffiti was overtly political and had nothing to do with cycling in the UK. Their timing was poor - coming just after the protests in London that turned violent. Where does it end? Why don't they comment on the oppression of Hong Kong by China for instance?

Tangled Metal has already explained why your opinions are not supported by the actual text of the statement. Insisting that CUK are supporting the BLM organisation and that their statement was overtly political suggests that you are unable or unwilling to read and understand what the statement says, rather than what you think it says.

robing wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Good question.

How about when BAME people are equally treated and represented in the UK cycling community?


They already are.

Currently 17% of the adult UK population cycle at least once a month, but only 12% of black adults do so. That is from the CUK Strategy referred to in the CUK statement. That is a fact, whereas your assertions are just opinions which are either unsupported or contradicted by facts.


That's really not poles apart is it. If it was something like only 3 per cent of black People cycle then that would be significant.

robing
Posts: 1244
Joined: 7 Sep 2014, 9:11am

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby robing » 4 Jul 2020, 8:20pm

Mike Sales wrote:I am once again depressed by those who persuade themselves that white people get a raw deal.
I keep telling myself not to waste my time in this swamp of apologists for racists and racism.
Bernard Shaw had it right with his advice about wrestling with pigs.
"You both get filthy and the pig enjoys it."
Toodle pip.


I do find it disappointing and insulting that if you object to some aspects of the BLM movement then you are immediately labelled racist. No need to announce your departure.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3341
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby roubaixtuesday » 4 Jul 2020, 8:25pm

robing wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I am once again depressed by those who persuade themselves that white people get a raw deal.
I keep telling myself not to waste my time in this swamp of apologists for racists and racism.
Bernard Shaw had it right with his advice about wrestling with pigs.
"You both get filthy and the pig enjoys it."
Toodle pip.


I do find it disappointing and insulting that if you object to some aspects of the BLM movement then you are immediately labelled racist. No need to announce your departure.


You have accused others here of racism - and I think you may have been the first to go down that road to boot.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14316
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Jul 2020, 8:30pm

Most of us on these fora are rich white males living in peaceful leafy suburbs or in the country, right?
..
We can have little understanding of the situation in London or in many parts of the US
I did understand a bit when I comprehended that gun ownership, use, knowledge is ubiquitous in the US, just as having a mobile phone is ubiquitous elsewhere, likewise the great economic equality there. In trumpland vast numbers of people, not just black people, are one pay check away from bankruptcy
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 4 Jul 2020, 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2472
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Ben@Forest » 4 Jul 2020, 8:34pm

slowster wrote:Currently 17% of the adult UK population cycle at least once a month, but only 12% of black adults do so. That is from the CUK Strategy referred to in the CUK statement. That is a fact, whereas your assertions are just opinions which are either unsupported or contradicted by facts.


How's that's interpreted? If it's 12% of all black adults it isn't far off the figure of 17% of all adults. Or is it 12% of the 17%? - in which case considering blacks are around 3% of the population that's amazing.

I live in rural, white Britain, about a month ago about 2 miles out of home l saw a black road cyclist. Cycling locally here to a radius of about 50 miles l struggle to remember the last time l saw a black road cyclist before that and l do a good mileage. I see black or mixed race kids on bikes occasionally (there are two in the village), but they ain't on the road or adults. But (locally) l can't remember at all the last time l saw any Asian, South East Asian adult or child riders.

robing
Posts: 1244
Joined: 7 Sep 2014, 9:11am

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby robing » 4 Jul 2020, 8:55pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:
robing wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I am once again depressed by those who persuade themselves that white people get a raw deal.
I keep telling myself not to waste my time in this swamp of apologists for racists and racism.
Bernard Shaw had it right with his advice about wrestling with pigs.
"You both get filthy and the pig enjoys it."
Toodle pip.


I do find it disappointing and insulting that if you object to some aspects of the BLM movement then you are immediately labelled racist. No need to announce your departure.


You have accused others here of racism - and I think you may have been the first to go down that road to boot.

Because I was told I can't have an opinion on black matters because I am not black. Patronising and racist.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3341
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby roubaixtuesday » 4 Jul 2020, 9:01pm

robing wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
robing wrote:
I do find it disappointing and insulting that if you object to some aspects of the BLM movement then you are immediately labelled racist. No need to announce your departure.


You have accused others here of racism - and I think you may have been the first to go down that road to boot.

Because I was told I can't have an opinion on black matters because I am not black. Patronising and racist.


Right.

It's ok for you to accuse other people of being racist, but insulting if they do likewise.

All clear. Got it.

robing
Posts: 1244
Joined: 7 Sep 2014, 9:11am

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby robing » 4 Jul 2020, 9:40pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:
robing wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
You have accused others here of racism - and I think you may have been the first to go down that road to boot.

Because I was told I can't have an opinion on black matters because I am not black. Patronising and racist.


Right.

It's ok for you to accuse other people of being racist, but insulting if they do likewise.

All clear. Got it.

He started it.
"I am surprised he feels qualified to speak for BAME people."

That's making a judgement on me because of my race. It's a racist statement .

Thornyone
Posts: 386
Joined: 7 Dec 2017, 11:15am

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Thornyone » 5 Jul 2020, 9:03am

0
Last edited by Thornyone on 5 Jul 2020, 9:11am, edited 1 time in total.

pwa
Posts: 12995
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby pwa » 5 Jul 2020, 9:10am

Thornyone wrote:.... I suggest you emerge for a while from rural Britain and experience reality.

Rural Britain is real too, you know. Towns and cities with a lot of ethnic diversity are a reality, but they are not the only reality :lol:

Though I take the rest of what you say as a valid opinion based on your own experience of where you live.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14316
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Jul 2020, 9:19am

Leicester, Right at the Centre, has a particular ethnic makeup and is not typical, one could say it is pioneering, leading
Is it the future? Does it work?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies