CUK supports BLM

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: CUK supports BLM

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The phrase 'white lives matter' has apparently been snaffled by a right-wing group, -1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Merc
See edit :)

shame and there I was thinking you were being courageous risking life and limb and the wrath of the BLM mob

I needn't worry about that,I'm on the same side :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Ben@Forest wrote:Racism of course affects all groups.

Phttps://www.politico.com/magazine/stor ... ter-214184

Breast cancer affects all genders.

What's your point?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

What's your point?

We can point to different disadvantaged groups in all societies. BLM is, in a way, specific to the USA which, considering slavery was present everywhere until at least the 19th C, has not dealt with that legacy well compared with other western countries.

In the UK it's likely that Pakistanis are the most disadvantaged group (should it be PLM?), while white working class boys do worst at school. But when someone recently tried to establish a scholarship for white working class boys only it was shouted down, whereas earlier black scholarships set up by will.i.am were lauded.

BLM may be a good thing, but is it inclusive? Are its politics inclusive? Are those people who contributed the £1 million happy it now looks as if it could be spent with no oversight?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Ben@Forest wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

What's your point?

We can point to different disadvantaged groups in all societies. BLM is, in a way, specific to the USA which, considering slavery was present everywhere until at least the 19th C, has not dealt with that legacy well compared with other western countries.

In the UK it's likely that Pakistanis are the most disadvantaged group (should it be PLM?), while white working class boys do worst at school. But when someone recently tried to establish a scholarship for white working class boys only it was shouted down, whereas earlier black scholarships set up by will.i.am were lauded.

BLM may be a good thing, but is it inclusive? Are its politics inclusive? Are those people who contributed the £1 million happy it now looks as if it could be spent with no oversight?

I've no idea what the million you're referring to is, I've obviously missed something.

And I still don't really see what your point is.

That BLM is a good thing but could be more inclusive?

Seems uncontroversial.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

roubaixtuesday wrote:I've no idea what the million you're referring to is, I've obviously missed something.

And I still don't really see what your point is.

That BLM is a good thing but could be more inclusive?

Seems uncontroversial.

Yep you've missed something.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

I said may be a good thing. I have an open mind until it goes further and does more. I'm not sure BLM is about inclusiveness and that concerns me in an environment where accentuating difference rather than the things that bind us appears to be becoming the norm.

(BTW their funding page realtes more information about financial accountability than there was a month ago).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Capture.JPG
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:Capture.JPG

Send that to Donald Trump :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:Starkey is a nasty piece of work. Hopefully he has closed the door to further TV documentaries with his latest outburst. There is something wrong with the man.

And you don't have to be part of a mob to be disgusted by him.

+1,he's one of those people you can't help taking an instant like to after listening to him for no more than a few minutes.

hmm did you mean to say that? :lol:

any way our favorite tv cowboy maybe the next person for the BLM mob?
wayne.JPG

Are you going to make sure you use the word "mob" every time you refer to BLM, because if you do it could become tiresome. A bit like when certain folk use the word "motron" every time they talk about motorists. Both overlook the fact that within the target group, most people deserve a more respectful description. BLM is two things. It is (in the UK) a specific pressure group and their close affiliates, who may say and do things that many of us think are going too far. But more widely it is a movement (of which I am happy to call myself a supporter) to squeeze out the racism that still stains modern Britain. UK racism is not as strong as it once was, but it is there, and all fair minded people will want it tackled. So you might consider using the word "mob" when you are referring to a crowd you consider to have rioted, but making clear your respect for the goal of removing racism.

John Wayne? Not a specific dislike of mine but I suspect if you look back at the films he was in, most if not all will seem creaky and out of tune with reality or historic accuracy. And I don't need any campaign to tell me what has been obvious to me for decades, that the cowboy films mostly glossed over the fact that the USA was created by displacing and largely killing off the previous occupants of the land. I would sooner people focused on promoting racial harmony in today's UK though.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote:John Wayne? Not a specific dislike of mine but I suspect if you look back at the films he was in, most if not all will seem creaky and out of tune with reality or historic accuracy.

Most historical films reflect many of the nuances of the time they were made as much as they depict accuracy. Many American westerns were white-oriented when significant numbers of Hispanics and blacks were cowboys. That's changed more recently, but Django Unchained (2012) is equally revisionist in the opposite direction. When it came out Spike Lee said he would not see it (l don't know if that was Hollywood bluster or not).

But l wouldn't want to see such films banned, what's next, burning books?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Black lives matter. Black Lives Matter doesn't.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote:John Wayne? Not a specific dislike of mine but I suspect if you look back at the films he was in, most if not all will seem creaky and out of tune with reality or historic accuracy.

Most historical films reflect many of the nuances of the time they were made as much as they depict accuracy. Many American westerns were white-oriented when significant numbers of Hispanics and blacks were cowboys. That's changed more recently, but Django Unchained (2012) is equally revisionist in the opposite direction. When it came out Spike Lee said he would not see it (l don't know if that was Hollywood bluster or not).

"The Searchers" and "Shane" are two of my favourite films, but if I were playing them to a young person I would preface them with a bit of context. Like Science Fiction films, they say more about the time they were made than they do about the time they portray.
pwa

Post by pwa »

landsurfer wrote:Black lives matter. Black Lives Matter doesn't.

If I understand you correctly, I probably agree. But we do need to push this issue a bit because it has festered for too long.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pwa wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Black lives matter. Black Lives Matter doesn't.

If I understand you correctly, I probably agree. But we do need to push this issue a bit because it has festered for too long.

Agreed ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
D363

Post by D363 »

Ben@Forest wrote:

Most historical films reflect many of the nuances of the time they were made as much as they depict accuracy...

There's quite a gap between renaming an airport and banning films though. Maybe as a compromise they could rename it Marion Morrison Airport? :wink: