CUK supports BLM

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby pwa » 13 Jun 2020, 3:10pm

Having carefully digested what the CUK statement actually says, it does not support any specific campaign group or any group's specific aims and demands. It does show BLM graffiti on a wall but I imagine that is BLM as a general movement rather than as a specific group with a list of demands. CUK reaffirms its commitment to being inclusive and trying to get under-represented groups into cycling. All pretty inoffensive and laudable.

Freddie

Postby Freddie » 13 Jun 2020, 3:25pm

Given the understandable confusion, maybe they should make a statement saying that they don't support Black Lives Matter the pressure group and that any previous statements weren't to be taken as such.

robing

Postby robing » 13 Jun 2020, 4:25pm

pwa wrote:
robing wrote:So Cycling UK have just done a statement on Black Lives Matter.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/black-li ... cycling-uk

They also posted this on Facebook which caused a storm, but I thought I would open it up here as many aren't on Facebook.

Why did they need to make a statement on the death of George Floyd? It has nothing to do with cycling in the UK.

Now I'm all for encouraging all minorities to get in to cycling, and fully support CUK in this. But in declaring support for BLM they have crossed a line and made it political, particularly in view of the violence against police last weekend and damage and defacing of war memorials. Clearly CUK under its new leadership has a political agenda. I am cancelling my membership forthwith and urge others to do so too if you feel the same way. This could do CUK a lot of damage.

I am not a CUK member, and I am not allied to any campaign group, but I feel your reaction is too hasty and you might be better taking a deep breath and giving it a while.

Perhaps the people at CUK are aware that cycling, as a leisure activity, has an "all white" image, which though not quite correct is not too far from the truth. And perhaps they want to make it clear they are on the side racial equality for that reason. By supporting the general movement of Black Lives Matter you do not have to support attacks on police officers, you do not have to support removal of statues, and you do not even have to support the notion of mass gatherings during the cworona virus crisis. All you need to support is the idea that there is, even in the UK, racial prejudice and that it is wrong and has to end.

Well first of all, why does a cycling organisation in the UK need to release a statement on the killing of George Floyd in America? It has nothing to do with cycling. They do specifically mention black lives matter and show a picture of BLM graffiti. If they needed to say something, then it should have been along the lines of - at these times of unrest and uncertainty in the world Cycling UK would like remind everyone it is committed to cycling for all regardless of race, religion, sexuality or disability and will not tolerate any form of discrimination.

Nobody would have had a problem with that. Plus on their FB post they came across as extremely arrogant, saying that anyone who disagreed with their statement 'hadnt read it properly'. Dreadful virtue signalling.

pwa

Postby pwa » 13 Jun 2020, 4:32pm

robing wrote:Well first of all, why does a cycling organisation in the UK need to release a statement on the killing of George Floyd in America? It has nothing to do with cycling. They do specifically mention black lives matter and show a picture of BLM graffiti. If they needed to say something, then it should have been along the lines of - at these times of unrest and uncertainty in the world Cycling UK would like remind everyone it is committed to cycling for all regardless of race, religion, sexuality or disability and will not tolerate any form of discrimination.

Nobody would have had a problem with that. Plus on their FB post they came across as extremely arrogant, saying that anyone who disagreed with their statement 'hadnt read it properly'. Dreadful virtue signalling.

It did occur to me that there could be an element of virtue signalling in it.

But the main body of the statement is more or less what you want, which is a re-affirmation of an already existing policy of inclusiveness. I suggest the main problem is the decision to use the BLM image at the top which makes it look like they are endorsing an organised group rather than a movement for fairness.

Will

Postby Will » 13 Jun 2020, 4:45pm

If they want "membership to become more representative of society", then maybe "white, adult men" could contribute by leaving in droves. They could set up their own cycling organisation - they could call it COVID-19 (since that has got more people cycling than Cycling UK ever has).

I see the statement is from Pete Fitzboydon - interim CEO. It sounds to me like he is virtue signalling in order to be made permanent.

Will

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 13 Jun 2020, 6:13pm

Will wrote: It sounds to me like he is virtue signalling in order to be made permanent.

Do I understand correctly? You are suggesting that he is being disingenuous, but believes that making a public statement in support of BLM will get him a permanent contract, and no one at head office is clever enough to see through his 'virtue signalling'?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 13 Jun 2020, 6:30pm

Maybe cuk should devote all its energy to cycling.uk
Entertainer, idealist, intellectual, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

PH

Postby PH » 13 Jun 2020, 6:45pm

Freddie wrote:Given the understandable confusion, maybe they should make a statement saying that they don't support Black Lives Matter the pressure group and that any previous statements weren't to be taken as such.

Where are these previous statements?

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 13 Jun 2020, 9:21pm

Virtue signalling - that's a new one - what does it mean?

pedals2slowly

Postby pedals2slowly » 13 Jun 2020, 10:10pm

robing wrote:Why did they need to make a statement on the death of George Floyd? It has nothing to do with cycling in the UK.

This is not a statement on the death of George Floyd, nor support for any organisation.
It is a well written and logical statement putting the stance of CUK on increasing the numbers of people cycling through encouraging BAME and others to pedal.

Much though I hate the destruction of our CTC club, CUK has become my preferred choice of national cycling organisation.

Well done to them.

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 13 Jun 2020, 10:56pm

jimlews wrote:Virtue signalling - that's a new one - what does it mean?

It seems to have originated in an article in the Spectator in 2014, by one James Bartholomew, who refered to it as "‘virtue signalling’ — indicating that you are kind, decent and virtuous". He seemed to apply extend the term to practically any expression of vagely left-wing views such as objecting to poverty, racism or sexism, but without making any critical reference to the vaguely right-wing equivalents such as assertions of patriotism.

The term appears to have then been taken up with enthusiam by social Darwinists, esp in the USA's New Right, who seem to use it to suggest that all assertions of charitable or altruistic feelings or values by anyone remotely to the left are false and designed to draw praise to that person. They too do not seem to apply it to those arguably altruistic acts which do meet with their approval, such as military service.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 13 Jun 2020, 11:28pm

During the last two weeks many of us have watched, read and listened to the global response to the tragic death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

This event has shone a light on the many centuries of oppression and racism that the black community has been subjected to.

At a time of global crisis, the protests will hopefully act as a catalyst for change through which we can all unite against any form of discrimination and social injustice to help create a fairer, more equal and more inclusive society.

This is the only bit that focussed on events in America and the resulting global protests. The one reference to BLM was in the title.

Black Lives Matters: a statement from Cycling UK

The rest is about a commitment to increasing diversity in those taking part in cycling in the UK not just diversity in skin colour but diversity in gender, sexuality, etc. Basically increasing the number of people who are not white middle aged or older males. That section accounts for the majority of the statement.

Can I ask if you're bothered by that say 80% of the statement or the 20% that mentions the black American's death and following protests against racism as a lead in to the real message?

Glad we're in the teashop because this storm is spot on for a cuppa!! Get over yourself!! CUK isn't supporting refunding the police. It isn't even supporting BLM. It's not made a statement on the US black man's death or anything m controversial. It has said black people have suffered centuries of oppression and racism. Do you disagree with that? Slavery wasn't oppressive or racist by any chance? No animals, no blacks, no Irish notices in lodgings in the 60s weren't racist neither I suppose?

Do you object to CUK getting a million more people into cycling at least in part by increasing representation among minorities?

So what exactly in that statement do you object to? Copy and paste the exact words that have you lot so riled up?

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 13 Jun 2020, 11:32pm

jimlews wrote:Virtue signalling - that's a new one - what does it mean?

Essentially, it’s middle class ‘White’ people, banging on about how they sympathise with poor people who may or may not identify as ‘white’ and so on and so forth.

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 13 Jun 2020, 11:47pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote: it’s middle class ‘White’ people, banging on

So any writing or utterance by a person who is not middle class does not constitute virtue signalling?

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 13 Jun 2020, 11:51pm

jgurney wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote: it’s middle class ‘White’ people, banging on

So any writing or utterance by a person who is not middle class does not constitute virtue signalling?

It’s typically the case, yes.