CUK supports BLM

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3150
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby simonineaston » 9 Jul 2020, 12:21pm

While common sense suggets that everybody should be treated with equal respect, we now exist in a space where & when it has become very difficult to retain a sense of proportion. YouTube is chocka full of very angry folks from anywhere and everywhere protesting vociferously about anything they see as unjust. This makes it very difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. I am glad to see that CUK supports BLM - that fits in with the excellent notion that everybody should be treated with equal respect. But take one step away from that simple, straight-forward idea and you begin to tread on ice that becomes increasing thin the further you mave away from the safe ground. With the advent of so many ways of self-publishing, we now have to suffer a constant onslaught of complaints and inervention from a whole lot of well-intentioned and intelligent commentators, as well as a torrent of loud & angry rubbish from the Mad, the Bad and Sad, with all stops between.
Arguements quickly slip from respectful and courteous to a quality that makes sensible conclusions difficut to draw... and as for Starmer off to undergo so-called unintenional bias training, I've got two things to say! He's been a member of the bar since bleep knows when and headed the DPP and the CPS - like, he needs it now?? Plus, there's little evidence that unconscious bias training is based on sound evidence based scientific research or that the training actually works. So that fact that he's toddling off to undergo this pointless exercise is simple more evidence - as if we need it - that we are livingin crazy times!!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Mike Sales
Posts: 5094
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Mike Sales » 9 Jul 2020, 12:33pm

My teenaged, mixed race nephew has put up BLM posters in the village.
I can understand why.
When he began at the secondary school he had racist abuse. Mixed race counts as black to racists.
He is good friends with all the children in the village, and some of his older, white pals soon put the racist right, I'm glad to say. I'm sure there have been other episodes he has not told me about, and I know from reading that many black and successful people have also experienced discrimination. I do not want him or his brother to have to go through what I know many have had to.
Their father is not one to complain about such things, but he has mentioned the frequency with which he has been stopped in his car by police.

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3150
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby simonineaston » 9 Jul 2020, 1:23pm

Hopefully, we're on the edge of a time when folk will be treated better, regardless of ethnicity. But I wouldn't bank on it. Humans all have a built-in tendancy to discriminante against members of any group they see as different or that they don't understand - it is, literally, in our DNA. We (in the largest sense) will simply switch our sights toward different groups... it is up to society to discourage such behaviour where necessary.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Rouleur126
Posts: 8
Joined: 4 Aug 2019, 11:41am

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Rouleur126 » 9 Jul 2020, 2:00pm

Oldjohnw wrote:Imv BLM is not favouring one group (black people) over another. It is a reminder after centuries and right up to date that too often - even institutionally and sometimes as in S Africa and the US by statute until recent times - black lives have not mattered. It is about equalling. All lives matter may come when black lives truly matter.


You make a very valid point. I still believe the focus is too narrow and favouring one group as the title BLM suggests. However, as you say the time may come when equality is truly embraced.

Rouleur126
Posts: 8
Joined: 4 Aug 2019, 11:41am

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Rouleur126 » 9 Jul 2020, 2:18pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Rouleur126 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Let's be honest, this not an honest attempt to have a constructive dialogue.


Actually it is.

Racism, in any form, is not acceptable. However, favouring one group above another is discriminatory. I state again, we are all humans and should be treated as such. The BLM campaign itself is creating division and anger resulting in violence. That cannot be good. Far better if we acknowledge the failings of society as a whole rather than couched in terms of injustice to one group.

Sometimes people can't see what is in front of them unless it is spoon-fed by social media or other media. Apparently, If it is not trending on Facebook, Twitter or the like it is not true. Cycling UK, along with many others, has jumped on the bandwagon. Far better to jump on the bike. That's what I thought Cycling UK was all about.

All Lives Matter! If you wish to challenge that statement, feel free..........

'Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish' (Euripides)


"All lives matter" is trivially true and used to deflect from the reality of racism.


I simply refer you to the last sentence of my previous.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3134
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby roubaixtuesday » 9 Jul 2020, 2:21pm

Rouleur126 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Rouleur126 wrote:
Actually it is.

Racism, in any form, is not acceptable. However, favouring one group above another is discriminatory. I state again, we are all humans and should be treated as such. The BLM campaign itself is creating division and anger resulting in violence. That cannot be good. Far better if we acknowledge the failings of society as a whole rather than couched in terms of injustice to one group.

Sometimes people can't see what is in front of them unless it is spoon-fed by social media or other media. Apparently, If it is not trending on Facebook, Twitter or the like it is not true. Cycling UK, along with many others, has jumped on the bandwagon. Far better to jump on the bike. That's what I thought Cycling UK was all about.

All Lives Matter! If you wish to challenge that statement, feel free..........

'Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish' (Euripides)


"All lives matter" is trivially true and used to deflect from the reality of racism.


I simply refer you to the last sentence of my previous.


I refer you to my post you originality quoted.

mercalia
Posts: 13678
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby mercalia » 17 Jul 2020, 12:03pm

first it was statues.
Next is computer speak :roll:


Key Linux kernel maintainers have largely welcomed a new proposal by Intel engineer and fellow kernel maintainer Dan Williams to introduce inclusive terminology in the kernel's official coding-style document.

....

The recommended replacements for 'slave' are 'secondary', 'subordinate', 'replica', 'responder', 'follower', 'proxy', or 'performer'. Instead of blacklist, developers should use 'blocklist' or 'denylist'.

...

Microsoft-owned GitHub is also planning to drop master/slave and blacklist/whitelist terminology from the site as part of its response to the BLM protests.



https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-kernel-developers-unveil-new-blm-coding-style-to-avoid-words-like-blacklist/

are you getting sick of these ripples? I am.

maybe we shouldnt use the word "black" now? my suggestion "the opposite of light that has all the colours"

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3134
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby roubaixtuesday » 17 Jul 2020, 12:11pm

mercalia wrote:
are you getting sick of these ripples?


No. But people whining about it does become tiresome sometimes.

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1218
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Philip Benstead » 17 Jul 2020, 1:44pm

Dambusters dog: Headstone replaced to remove racist name

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-53436447
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... red-by-raf
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-13727908

I also understand Scrabble removes 236 slurs, derogatory language from official word list

https://www.masslive.com/entertainment/ ... -list.html

On similar then I understand Cultural appropriation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation

This may mean we can no longer use the term Derailleur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derailleu ... 20derailer.

Instead we will have to call it chain realignment mechanism

Also use of the term Café will be banned we have to purveyor of liquid refreshments
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

mercalia
Posts: 13678
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby mercalia » 17 Jul 2020, 1:46pm

I saw that about the dog. I suppose now BLMers will be hunting thru the graveyards

you are just whinning though, suck it up. :wink:

blacklist/whitelist has nothing to do with black people but the association that Black was associated with Bad and devilish things and white with good & heavenly things? and slave/master those i.t geeks dont seem to realise that slavery was/is more general than BLM. hmmmm, I am whining again :lol: if we follow their example we cant use those terms at all.
Last edited by mercalia on 17 Jul 2020, 2:56pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1218
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby Philip Benstead » 17 Jul 2020, 1:49pm

I should have said we need to remove all foreign word and phrases so we are not guilty Cultural appropriation

https://www.lexico.com/explore/foreign- ... nd-phrases
Foreign Words And Phrases Now Used In English
Over the centuries the English language has assimilated words and phrases from a variety of other languages. In context, those listed here are often printed in italics.

ab initio Latin from the beginning
a cappella Italian sung without instrumental accompaniment (literally ‘in chapel style’)
à deux French for or involving two people
ad hoc Latin made or done for a particular purpose (literally ‘to this’)
ad infinitum Latin endlessly; forever (literally ‘to infinity’)
ad interim Latin for the meantime
ad nauseam Latin to a tiresomely excessive degree (literally ‘to sickness’)
a fortiori Latin more conclusively (literally ‘from a stronger [argument]’)
agent provocateur French a person who tempts a suspected criminal to commit a crime so that they can be caught and convicted (literally ‘provocative agent’)
à huis clos French in private (literally ‘with closed doors’)
al dente Italian (of food) cooked so as to be still firm when bitten (literally ‘to the tooth’)
alfresco Italian in the open air (literally ‘in the fresh’)
amour propre French self-respect (literally ‘own love’)
annus mirabilis Latin a remarkable or auspicious year
a posteriori Latin based on reasoning from known facts or past events rather than on assumptions or predictions (literally ‘from what comes after’)
a priori Latin based on deduction rather than experience (literally ‘from what is before’)
au courant French well informed; up to date (literally ‘in the (regular) course’)
au fait French having a good or detailed knowledge (literally ‘to the point’)
au fond French basically; in essence (literally ‘at the bottom’)
au naturel French in the most simple or natural way
beau geste French a noble and generous act (literally ‘fine gesture’)
beau idéal French the highest standard of excellence (literally ‘ideal beauty’)
beau monde French fashionable society (literally ‘fine world’)
beaux arts French the fine arts
bête noire French a person or thing one particularly dislikes (literally ‘black beast’)
belles-lettres French literary works written and read for their elegant style (literally ‘fine letters’)
billet-doux French a love letter (literally ‘sweet note’)
blitzkrieg German an intense, violent military campaign intended to bring about a swift victory (literally ‘lightning war’)
bona fide Latin genuine; real (literally ‘with good faith’)
bon mot French a clever or witty remark (literally ‘good word’)
bon vivant French a person with a sociable and luxurious lifestyle (literally ‘person living well’)
brasserie French an informal or inexpensive restaurant (literally ‘brewery’)
carpe diem Latin make the most of the present time (literally ‘seize the day!’)
carte blanche French complete freedom to act as one wishes (literally ‘blank paper’)
cause célèbre French a controversial issue attracting much public attention (literally ‘famous case’)
caveat emptor Latin the buyer is responsible for checking the quality of goods before purchasing them (literally ‘let the buyer beware’)
c’est la guerre French used as an expression of resigned acceptance (literally ‘that's war’)
chacun à son gout French everyone to their own taste
chef-d’œuvre French a masterpiece (literally ‘chief work’)
cherchez la femme French there is certain to be a woman at the bottom of a problem or mystery (literally ‘look for the woman’)
comme il faut French correct in behaviour or etiquette (literally ‘as is necessary’)
compos mentis Latin sane; in full control of one's mind
cognoscenti Italian people who are well informed about something (literally ‘people who know’)
cordon sanitaire French a guarded line placed around an area infected by disease to prevent anyone from leaving (literally ‘sanitary line’)
Cosa Nostra Italian a US criminal organization related to the Mafia (literally ‘our thing’)
coup de foudre French love at first sight (literally ‘stroke of lightning’)
coup de grâce French a blow by which a mortally wounded person or thing is mercifully killed (literally ‘stroke of grace’)
coup de main French a sudden surprise attack (literally ‘stroke of hand’)
coup d’état French a sudden violent seizure of power (literally ‘blow of state’)
cri de cœur French a passionate appeal or protest (literally ‘cry from the heart’)
cui bono? Latin who stands to gain? (implying that whoever does may have been responsible for a crime; literally ‘to whom (is it) a benefit?’)
de facto Latin in fact, whether by right or not
Dei gratia Latin by the grace of God
déjà vu French the sense of having experienced the present situation before (literally ‘already seen’)
de jure Latin rightful; by right (literally ‘of law’)
de nos jours French contemporary (literally ‘of our days’)
Deo gratias Latin thanks be to God
Deo volente Latin God willing
de profundis Latin expressing one's deepest feelings (literally ‘from the depths’)
de rigueur French obligatory; required by etiquette or current fashion (literally ‘of strictness’)
dernier cri French the very latest fashion (literally ‘the last cry’)
de trop French not wanted; superfluous (literally ‘excessive’)
deus ex machina Latin an unexpected event that saves an apparently hopeless situation (literally ‘god from the machinery’)
dolce far niente Italian pleasant idleness (literally ‘sweet doing nothing’)
dolce vita Italian a life of pleasure and luxury (literally ‘sweet life’)
doppelgänger German an apparition or double of a living person (literally ‘double-goer’)
double entendre French a word or phrase with two possible interpretations (from obsolete French, ‘double understanding’)
dramatis personae Latin the characters in a play (literally ‘persons of the drama’)
embarras de richesse French more options or resources than one knows what to do with (literally ‘embarrassment of riches’)
éminence grise French a person who has power or influence without holding an official position (literally ‘grey eminence’)
en famille French with one's family; in an informal way (literally ‘in family’)
enfant terrible French a person whose behaviour is unconventional or controversial (literally ‘terrible child’)
en masse French all together (literally ‘in a mass’)
en passant French by the way (literally ‘in passing’)
entente cordiale French a friendly understanding between states
entre nous French between ourselves
esprit de corps French a feeling of pride and loyalty uniting the members of a group (literally ‘spirit of body’)
ex gratia Latin (of payment) given as a favour rather than because of any legal obligation (literally ‘from favour’)
ex officio Latin by virtue of one's position or status (literally ‘out of duty’)
fait accompli French a thing that has been done or decided and cannot now be altered (literally ‘accomplished fact’)
faute de mieux French for want of a better alternative
faux pas French an embarrassing blunder or indiscretion (literally ‘false step’)
femme fatale French a seductive woman (literally ‘disastrous woman’)
fête champêtre French an outdoor entertainment; a garden party (literally ‘rural festival’)
fin de siècle French relating to the end of a century
force majeure French superior strength
folie de grandeur French delusions of grandeur
gîte French a small furnished holiday house in France
grande dame French a woman who is influential within a particular sphere (literally ‘grand lady’)
haute couture French the designing and making of clothes by leading fashion houses (literally ‘high dressmaking’)
haute cuisine French high-quality cooking (literally ‘high cookery’)
haut monde French fashionable society (literally ‘high world’)
hors de combat French out of action due to injury or damage (literally ‘out of the fight’)
ideé fixe French an obsession (literally ‘fixed idea’)
in absentia Latin while not present (literally ‘in absence’)
in camera Latin in private (literally ‘in the chamber’)
in extremis Latin in an extremely difficult situation; at the point of death
in loco parentis Latin in the place of a parent
in medias res Latin in or into the middle of things
in propria persona Latin: in his or her own person
in situ Latin in the original or appropriate position
inter alia Latin among other things
in toto Latin as a whole
ipso facto Latin by that very fact or act
je ne sais quoi French a quality that is hard to describe (literally ‘I do not know what’)
jeu d’esprit French a light-hearted display of wit (literally ‘game of the mind’)
jeunesse dorée French wealthy, fashionable young people (literally ‘gilded youth’)
joie de vivre French exuberant enjoyment of life (literally ‘joy of living’)
katzenjammer German a hangover or a severe headache accompanying a hangover (literally ‘cats’ wailing’)
laissez-faire French a non-interventionist policy (literally ‘allow to do’)
locum tenens Latin a temporary deputy or stand-in (literally ‘one holding a place’)
locus classicus Latin the best known or most authoritative passage on a subject (literally ‘classical place’)
magnum opus Latin the most important work of an artist, writer, etc. (literally ‘great work’)
manqué French having failed to become what one might have been (from manquer ‘to lack’)
mea culpa Latin an acknowledgement that something is one's fault (literally ‘by my fault’)
memento mori Latin something kept as a reminder that death is inevitable (literally ‘remember (that you have) to die’)
ménage à trois French an arrangement in which a married couple and the lover of one of them live together (literally ‘household of three’)
modus operandi Latin a way of doing something (literally ‘way of operating’)
modus vivendi Latin an arrangement that allows conflicting parties to coexist peacefully (literally ‘way of living’)
mot juste French the most appropriate word or expression
ne plus ultra Latin the best example of something (literally ‘not further beyond’)
nil desperandum Latin do not despair
noblesse oblige French privilege entails responsibility
nolens volens Latin whether one wants or likes something or not (literally ‘not willing, willing’)
non sequitur Latin a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous statement (literally ‘it does not follow’)
nouveau riche French people who have recently become rich and who display their wealth ostentatiously (literally ‘new rich’)
objet d’art French a small decorative or artistic object
on dit French a piece of gossip (literally ‘they say’)
papabile Italian worthy or eligible to be elected pope
par excellence French better or more than all others of the same kind (literally ‘by excellence’)
parti pris French a preconceived view; a bias (literally ‘side taken’)
per annum Latin for each year
per capita Latin for each person (literally ‘by heads’)
per se Latin by or in itself or themselves
persona non grata Latin a person who is not welcome somewhere
pièce de résistance French the most important or impressive item (literally ‘piece (i.e. means) of resistance’)
pied-à-terre French a small flat or house kept for occasional use (literally ‘foot to earth’)
pis aller French a last resort (literally ‘worse to go’)
plat du jour French a special dish prepared by a restaurant on a particular day (literally ‘dish of the day’)
plus ça change French used to express resigned acknowledgement of the fact that certain things never change (from plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose ‘the more it changes, the more it stays the same’)
pococurante Italian careless or nonchalant (literally ‘little caring’)
prima facie Latin accepted as so until proved otherwise (literally ‘at first face’)
primus inter pares Latin the senior or representative member of a group (literally ‘first among equals’)
pro rata Latin proportional; proportionally (literally ‘according to the rate’)
proxime accessit Latin the person who comes second in an examination or is runner-up for an award (literally ‘came very near’)
quid pro quo Latin a favour or advantage given in return for something (literally ‘something for something’)
raison d’être French the most important reason for someone or something's existence (literally ‘reason for being’)
reductio ad absurdum Latin a method of disproving a premise by showing that its logical conclusion is absurd (literally ‘reduction to the absurd’)
roman-à-clef French a novel in which real people or events appear with invented names (literally ‘novel with a key’)
sangfroid French the ability to stay calm in difficult circumstances (literally ‘cold blood’)
savoir faire French the ability to act appropriately in social situations (literally ‘know how to do’)
sine die Latin (of proceedings) adjourned indefinitely (literally ‘without a day’)
sine qua non Latin a thing that is absolutely essential (literally ‘without which not’)
soi-disant French self-styled; so-called (literally ‘self-saying’)
sotto voce Italian in a quiet voice (literally ‘under voice’)
sub judice Latin being considered by a court of law and therefore not to be publicly discussed elsewhere (literally ‘under a judge’)
sub rosa Latin happening or done in secret (literally ‘under the rose’)
sui generis Latin unique (literally ‘of its own kind’)
table d’hôte French a restaurant meal offered at a fixed price, with few if any choices (literally ‘host's table’)
tant mieux French so much the better
tant pis French so much the worse; too bad
terra firma Latin dry land; the ground (literally ‘firm land’)
terra incognita Latin unknown territory
tête-à-tête French a private conversation (literally ‘head-to-head’)
tour de force French a thing accomplished with great skill (literally ‘feat of strength’)
tout de suite French at once (literally ‘quite in sequence’)
unheimlich German uncanny or weird
verboten German forbidden
via media Latin a compromise (literally ‘middle way’)
victor ludorum Latin the overall champion in a sports competition (literally ‘victor of the games’)
vis-à-vis French in relation to; as compared with (literally ‘face-to-face’)
vox populi Latin public opinion (literally ‘the voice of the people’)
zeitgeist German the characteristic spirit or mood of a particular historical period (literally ‘time spirit’)
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

mercalia
Posts: 13678
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby mercalia » 17 Jul 2020, 1:52pm

You are a real tiresome person with that long list :wink:

Cultural Appropriation


Thats another dirty word the West is quilty of transgressing

you missed one "ad hominem"

But the ones you mention dont count as it is thieving within the same family. It is only dastardly when it is some other culture.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11887
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 17 Jul 2020, 2:40pm

Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:
are you getting sick of these ripples?


No. But people whining about it does become tiresome sometimes.

I suppose some of you will be happy when the whole dictionary has been re-written.
Whining is an arrogant term for use for one adult addressing another, when they don't like what they saying they can't really give a reason for disliking it, or some type of deep-seated hate or prejudice.

My dad is bigger than your dad.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3134
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby roubaixtuesday » 17 Jul 2020, 4:50pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:
are you getting sick of these ripples?


No. But people whining about it does become tiresome sometimes.

I suppose some of you will be happy when the whole dictionary has been re-written.
when they don't like what they saying they can't really give a reason for disliking it, or some type of deep-seated hate or prejudice.

My dad is bigger than your dad.


Whining is an arrogant term for use for one adult addressing another,


I had no idea you were so easily offended.

It's more than a little ironic that you're simultaneously complaining about words which offend you whilst wanting words which may offend others kept in usage, don't you think?

reohn2
Posts: 39659
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: CUK supports BLM

Postby reohn2 » 17 Jul 2020, 4:57pm

mercalia wrote: ........are you getting sick of these ripples? I am........

But then you're not black are you?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.