CUK supports BLM

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: CUK supports BLM

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote: ........are you getting sick of these ripples? I am........

But then you're not black are you?

blacklist/whitelist has nothing to do with being black imho it is to do with the archetypes of bad & good . eg Black magic/white magic. Those who still complain are the type who want to reserve eg the prefix "afro" to a certain hair style & get very angry if you dont, where that use realy derives from the general "of africa" eg afro-american, afro-caribbean. You cant use those terms now you MUST say African American. (Like hell I will) Should we demand that the anglo in anglo-saxon should also be prohibited. "Gay" is another word that has been appropriated by a certain group, so you cant use it these days to indicate a state of mind. These attempted thefts should be resisted

slave/master - find me a current black person ( in the UK) who has been a slave ( on a plantation) then I may sympathise a bit. More likely these days it will be an eastern european woman brought over to service dirty old men, (Get a copy of this book from your local library) or young white british girls preyed on by ------------ you fill in the gap
Slave.jpeg

I dont see why I should cater to the delusions and confusions of certain groups of people
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

blacklist/whitelist has nothing to do with being black imho it is to do with the archetypes of bad & good . eg Black magic/white magic. Those who still complain are the type who want to reserve eg the prefix "afro" to a certain hair style & get very angry if you dont, where that use realy derives from the general "of africa" eg afro-american, afro-caribbean. You cant use those terms now you MUST say African American. (Like hell I will) Should we demand that the anglo in anglo-saxon should also be prohibited. "Gay" is another word that has been appropriated by a certain group, so you cant use it these days to indicate a state of mind. These attempted thefts should be resisted

slave/master - find me a current black person ( in the UK) who has been a slave ( on a plantation) then I may sympathise a bit. More likely these days it will be an eastern european woman brought over to service dirty old men, (Get a copy of this book from your local library) or young white british girls preyed on by ------------ you fill in the gap
Slave.jpeg

I dont see why I should cater to the delusions and confusions of certain groups of people

A lot of words there.

You seem to think you're the victim of something here. You're not.

Your last sentence is ridiculous would be overtly racist, if you had the courage to fill in the blanks.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Merc
You're missing the point by a mile.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:Merc

we disagree.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:

we disagree.

That's obvious.
W H Auden
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

and they have now removed the grave stone to Guy Gibsons black lab'

:(
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But then you're not black are you?

Slave.jpeg

A lot of words there.

You seem to think you're the victim of something here. You're not.

Your last sentence is ridiculous would be overtly racist, if you had the courage to fill in the blanks.

your being a victim is my being hoodwinked
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:
No. But people whining about it does become tiresome sometimes.

I suppose some of you will be happy when the whole dictionary has been re-written.
when they don't like what they saying they can't really give a reason for disliking it, or some type of deep-seated hate or prejudice.

My dad is bigger than your dad.

Whining is an arrogant term for use for one adult addressing another,

I had no idea you were so easily offended.

It's more than a little ironic that you're simultaneously complaining about words which offend you whilst wanting words which may offend others kept in usage, don't you think?

Not for the first time you've used those words "stop your whining" you have used those words directed at me before on that other post.

I will get my bruv.
You lost get over it.
You won stop your whining.
If you say so.
Whatever.
You've been conned.
Don't believe everything you read.

Those sort of comments are usually used in retort.
I don't really like personal comments that much but I have to say that you use those sort of comments too many times directed at people who are opposite or opposed to your opinions.
A bit like "I had no idea you were easily offended".

I am only offended by unnecessary diminutive comments at anyone on these posts.

don't worry too much I've never seen reason to complain about anything you have written officially that is.

As per usual in all of these situations of Whatever the latest fashion in the media is to pick up on, it's a minority of activists who seem to hit the headlines.
There does not seem be many comments coming from your average people in the street on both sides, I mean to say what do BAME and White people in this country Generally think about the whole situation?
The trouble is that white people are just going to keep their mouth shut because anything they say would be regarded as being racist.
But also I get the impression that some of the BAME people also don't want to say much too.
Through fear of everything turning a bit nasty.
The problem is that in the past when things have been mentioned about injustices in this country we find that five years down the line nothing much changes.
And I'm not saying this is going to happen and I don't want this to happen for sure, but I believe that nothing much will change for a very long time generations even.

As for words many of us grew up with, these words before we even had ever heard the words racist or even knew what they really meant, that supposed some some groups might find offensive, aren't really that offensive it's just that they're good for chucking on the fire.
If we want to be democratic about the whole thing then we need to use democracy and not mob rule.

In no way am I being diminutive about the situation like "Windrush", Many of us couldn't imagine what it was would be like to be in the situation of working in this country for many years and in finding that we are booted out.

if we start to consider things like "white goods "and "black list/market ", it's going to start to be very difficult to have a conversation with anyone let alone across ethnic groups, people are simply going to interact even less.
Words should be taken in context.
How are you going to remove all the bad so-called bad words and phrases from things like car manuals, brake Master and slave cylinders.
Next it will be nipples :)
male and female mechanical parts used in machines et cetera et cetera.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

we disagree.

That's obvious.

And disagreeing is a bit different than Missing the boat :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
we disagree.

That's obvious.

And disagreeing is a bit different than Missing the boat :)

Sorry I don't follow,care to explain what you mean?
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

I suppose some of you will be happy when the whole dictionary has been re-written.
when they don't like what they saying they can't really give a reason for disliking it, or some type of deep-seated hate or prejudice.

Whining is an arrogant term for use for one adult addressing another,

It's more than a little ironic that you're simultaneously complaining about words which offend you whilst wanting words which may offend others kept in usage, don't you think?

Not for the first time you've used those words "stop your whining" you have used those words directed at me before on that other post.

I will get my bruv.
You lost get over it.
If you say so.
Whatever.
You've been conned.

I don't really like personal comments that much but I have to say that you use those sort of comments too many times directed at people who are opposite or opposed to your opinions.

don't worry too much I've never seen reason to complain about anything you have written officially that is.

As per usual in all of these situations of Whatever the latest fashion in the media is to pick up on, it's a minority of activists who seem to hit the headlines.
There does not seem be many comments coming from your average people in the street on both sides, I mean to say what do BAME and White people in this country Generally think about the whole situation?
The trouble is that white people are just going to keep their mouth shut because anything they say would be regarded as being racist.
But also I get the impression that some of the BAME people also don't want to say much too.
The problem is that in the past when things have been mentioned about injustices in this country we find that five years down the line nothing much changes.
And I'm not saying this is going to happen and I don't want this to happen for sure, but I believe that nothing much will change for a very long time generations even.

As for words many of us grew up with, these words before we even had ever heard the words racist or even knew what they really meant, that supposed some some groups might find offensive, aren't really that offensive it's just that they're good for chucking on the fire.
If we want to be democratic about the whole thing then we need to use democracy and not mob rule.

In no way am I being diminutive about the situation like "Windrush", Many of us couldn't imagine what it was would be like to be in the situation of working in this country for many years and in finding that we are booted out.

if we start to consider things like "white goods "and "black list/market ", it's going to start to be very difficult to have a conversation with anyone let alone across ethnic groups, people are simply going to interact even less.
How are you going to remove all the bad so-called bad words and phrases from things like car manuals, brake Master and slave cylinders.

You like to complain but you don't like it being pointed out that you complain.

Ho hum.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Centuries of oppression isn't good enough?

As for the last part, you seem to be implying racism. If you aren't you should say it. If you are, well, it is nothing other than disgusting.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
robing

Post by robing »

The trouble with Cycling much such an overt political statement re BLM is who decides what they comment on?
Take for example the plight of the Uighurs in China. Reports of genocide, internment of over a million people, forced sterilisation so all in all much worse than the death of George Floyd. So why aren't Cycling UK releasing a press release on that?
It also has nothing to do with cycling in the UK.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

robing wrote:The trouble with Cycling much such an overt political statement re BLM is who decides what they comment on?
Take for example the plight of the Uighurs in China. Reports of genocide, internment of over a million people, forced sterilisation so all in all much worse than the death of George Floyd. So why aren't Cycling UK releasing a press release on that?
It also has nothing to do with cycling in the UK.

Like Disney, Netflix, the Premier League, YouTube, Chanel, Gucci and Prince Harry CUK have jumped on a bandwagon. And neither they nor we know whether it's the right bandwagon or not, and we may not know for a long time.

Both the Freedom Riders and the Black Panthers were both maligned and praised in their time. The former had a specific aim, practised non-violence and were well organised. The latter had multiple, sometimes competing aims, were sometimes violent, including internecine violence, and poorly organised. The Freedom Riders are now universally praised, the Black Panthers, not.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

I will get my bruv.
You lost get over it.
If you say so.
Whatever.
You've been conned.

You like to complain but you don't like it being pointed out that you complain.

Ho hum.

Yet again another one of your one-liners :roll:

We've all got them though haven't we.
My favourite one is "that's it then "I normally use this one when we were all stood around in a group talking about our past spills and thrills and time is going on I wanna get moving on my bike again :lol:
My mate would retort "....that's......it.....then......".......