CUK supports BLM

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: CUK supports BLM

Post by Ben@Forest »

Vorpal wrote:There are a couple of things about this...
1) I was not refering spcifically to crime prevention, but to avoiding the economic and social challenges that create an environment where crime is acceptable
2) Some of the crime prevention currently in place is not effective, and may, in fact, have the opposite effect because it presents choices as if the police, schools, and system are good, and crime is bad, where increasingly crimilaised youth can observe for themselves that is not necessarily so clear cut.

It's the law of unintended consequences. I remember reading that in 1997 New Labour wanted to address youth offending more effectively to try to identify problems quickly and intervene. It meant more children put through legal processes and the court system than before. But the idea of criminalising more children had not been the intention.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Vorpal wrote:There are a couple of things about this...
1) I was not refering spcifically to crime prevention, but to avoiding the economic and social challenges that create an environment where crime is acceptable
2) Some of the crime prevention currently in place is not effective, and may, in fact, have the opposite effect because it presents choices as if the police, schools, and system are good, and crime is bad, where increasingly crimilaised youth can observe for themselves that is not necessarily so clear cut.

It's the law of unintended consequences. I remember reading that in 1997 New Labour wanted to address youth offending more effectively to try to identify problems quickly and intervene. It meant more children put through legal processes and the court system than before. But the idea of criminalising more children had not been the intention.

But it has happened. And made worse by the government increasingly relying on charities and youth organisations to make up the slack.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What is Cressida Dick up to at the minute?

Running a police force I should think.
I sincerely hope she's doing a better job of it than BoJo's doing running the country :?

Not heard or read about her for a while, that is a good sign, +1! :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What is Cressida Dick up to at the minute?

Running a police force I should think.
I sincerely hope she's doing a better job of it than BoJo's doing running the country :?

Not heard or read about her for a while, that is a good sign, +1! :wink:

Not if she's hiding under the bed :? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Seems that what might be called the 'establishment' are slowly divesting themseves of BLM accoutrements. The SDP blog is interesting, as is the fact that the £1 million or so raised by BLM UK won't be able to be scrutinised.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp

https://sdp.org.uk/sdptalk/black-lives- ... e-respond/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Seems like David Starkey the famous historian is in for it for his remarks about BLM. He is definitley rude and offensive.

Cant help but sympathise with his general irritation about BLM ( oops now I am in for it also, I am going to hell)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53262668

whats going to happen to him is descibed in the previous items article?

https://sdp.org.uk/sdptalk/black-lives-matter-how-should-we-respond/

seems like there are a number of words or expressions that really damn you that the mob now uses?

racist.
anti-semite/anti-israel
institutionally racist

all these will damn you to hellfire and eternal damnation
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:Seems like David Starkey the famous historian is in for it for his remarks about BLM. He is definitley rude and offensive.

Cant help but sympathise with his general irritation about BLM ( oops now I am in for it also, I am going to hell)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53262668

whats going to happen to him is descibed in the previous items article?

https://sdp.org.uk/sdptalk/black-lives-matter-how-should-we-respond/

seems like there are a number of words or expressions that really damn you that the mob now uses?

racist.
anti-semite/anti-israel
institutionally racist

all these will damn you to hellfire and eternal damnation

Starkey is a nasty piece of work. Hopefully he has closed the door to further TV documentaries with his latest outburst. There is something wrong with the man.

And you don't have to be part of a mob to be disgusted by him.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Starkey is a nasty piece of work. Hopefully he has closed the door to further TV documentaries with his latest outburst. There is something wrong with the man.

+1,he's one of those people you can't help taking an instant dislike to after listening to him for no more than a few minutes.

Edited for spoilings
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 Jul 2020, 4:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:Starkey is a nasty piece of work. Hopefully he has closed the door to further TV documentaries with his latest outburst. There is something wrong with the man.

+1,he's one of those people you can't help taking an instant like to after listening to him for no more than a few minutes.

hmm did you mean to say that? :lol:

any way our favorite tv cowboy maybe the next person for the BLM mob?
a man gotta do what a mans gotta do
a man gotta do what a mans gotta do
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mercalia wrote:any way our favorite tv cowboy maybe the next person for the BLM mob?

Looking at what Sharon alleges in that poster apparently Wayne disliked horses. When asked about it he said he only rode them when he was paid. Perhaps he'd be pleased if any statues of him on a horse were pulled down! :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Merc
See edit :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Morzedec wrote:**ALL LIVES MATTER**

Many of us are aware of that,the BLM movement only came about because BAME people's lives matter less than white people,which is apparent to me and many,many other people around the world.
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
Morzedec wrote:**ALL LIVES MATTER**

Many of us are aware of that,the BLM movement only came about because many of us also are aware BAME people's lives matter less,which is apparent to me and many,many other people around the world.

This is so obvious that one can only think that such "corrections" are a wilful misunderstanding.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:Merc
See edit :)

shame and there I was thinking you were being courageous risking life and limb and the wrath of the BLM mob
Last edited by mercalia on 3 Jul 2020, 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Racism of course affects all groups.

Phttps://www.politico.com/magazine/stor ... ter-214184