Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mikeymo
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby mikeymo » 19 Jun 2020, 3:11pm

reohn2 wrote:
philg wrote:
reohn2 wrote:When the NHS were running really short on PPE there were numerous reports of small companies producing PPE items face shields,masks and gowns that contacted the government but heard nothing back from them whilst having to furlough their workforce.


Surely this was the initial responsibility of PHE?
As was the failure to use private and academic labs for CV19 testing?

The fault of the government was to create an inflexible bureaucratic dinsoaur in 2012 unable to cope with a novel, though entirely predictable, emergency

Wikipedia
Public Health England (PHE) is an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care in the United Kingdom that began operating on 1 April 2013. Its formation came as a result of reorganisation of the National Health Service (NHS) in England outlined in the Health and Social Care Act 2012. It took on the role of the Health Protection Agency, the National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse and a number of other health bodies.It is an executive agency of the DHSC, and a distinct delivery organisation with operational autonomy.

Thank you so it is the Tory governments fault then?

reohn2 wrote:Perhaps they might have gone to a company with a good track in producing PPE in the UK

Do you know that they didn't then?

TBH no but do you know they did?
I'm merely illustrating what seems to be a dodgy contract by a government not noted for it's honesty and openness as per their ferries debacle,and many more...

I await an independent review of this mess once it is finally over.

Me too,but like the Cygnus report(buried),the Russia report(buried) and the proposed racial inquiry,which will be the third one,I won't be holding my breath on it pointing any fingers at government failings :?


What did you think of the Nightingale hospitals?
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby reohn2 » 19 Jun 2020, 3:13pm

mikeymo wrote:What did you think of the Nightingale hospitals?

In what way.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mikeymo
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby mikeymo » 19 Jun 2020, 3:14pm

reohn2 wrote:
mikeymo wrote:What did you think of the Nightingale hospitals?

In what way.

Were they a success? Did they achieve their aim? How about value for money?

Those sorts of things.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby reohn2 » 19 Jun 2020, 3:22pm

mikeymo wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mikeymo wrote:What did you think of the Nightingale hospitals?

In what way.

Were they a success? Did they achieve their aim? How about value for money?

Those sorts of things.

They were built as a percieved necessity in light the pandemic
Value for money?
TBH,no in one sence and potentially yes in another as the pandemic isn't over with yet so they may very well be needed to capacity.
What does concern me is whether they can be staffed should they be needed to be used to capacity.

Were they the right thing to do?
Yes
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mikeymo
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby mikeymo » 19 Jun 2020, 3:58pm

reohn2 wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
reohn2 wrote:In what way.

Were they a success? Did they achieve their aim? How about value for money?

Those sorts of things.

They were built as a percieved necessity in light the pandemic
Value for money?
TBH,no in one sence and potentially yes in another as the pandemic isn't over with yet so they may very well be needed to capacity.
What does concern me is whether they can be staffed should they be needed to be used to capacity.

Were they the right thing to do?
Yes


So the Tory government got this thing right, is that what you're saying? I want to be sure I understand correctly.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby reohn2 » 19 Jun 2020, 4:12pm

mikeymo wrote: government got this thing right, is that what you're saying? I want to be sure I understand correctly.

It may come as a bit shock to you but I don't regard everything the Tory government has done to be wrong,though admit I stuggle,to think of more than one or two and nothing major.

I don't criticise for the sake of criticism,but to hilight where I think they're wrong,inept and corrupt,where it any other government in power,be it Labour,LibDems or whatever with an equally bad record,I would be criticising them just as much as I do the Tories.

TBH if I thought we couldn't do much,much better than this as a country I'd question my sanity
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mikeymo
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby mikeymo » 19 Jun 2020, 4:30pm

reohn2 wrote:
mikeymo wrote: government got this thing right, is that what you're saying? I want to be sure I understand correctly.
I don't criticise for the sake of criticism,


Yes you do. And deep down, in the depths of your soul, you know it too. Oh don't worry, yours is the usual outlook in generation "whinge-a-lot". Misery loves company, and all that. And there'll be a different government along in a few years who also won't be good enough for you. So that's OK, you'll still have somebody to complain about.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

kwackers
Posts: 14593
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby kwackers » 19 Jun 2020, 4:50pm

mikeymo wrote:
kwackers wrote:I'm pretty sure I could have found someone in China prepared to do me a deal on facemasks - especially with 108 million to play with.


But you didn't. And they did.

Who's to say if the contract had been put out to tender I wouldn't?

It's a slippery slope.
Most folk (me included) suspect there's a lot of "nod nod, wink wink" going on down there with our cash.
Episodes like this don't exactly help with the paranoia.

mikeymo
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby mikeymo » 19 Jun 2020, 5:00pm

kwackers wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
kwackers wrote:I'm pretty sure I could have found someone in China prepared to do me a deal on facemasks - especially with 108 million to play with.


But you didn't. And they did.

Who's to say if the contract had been put out to tender I wouldn't?

It's a slippery slope.
Most folk (me included) suspect there's a lot of "nod nod, wink wink" going on down there with our cash.
Episodes like this don't exactly help with the paranoia.


I'm sorry you were excluded from tendering for this work. Presumably it's the sort of thing you do, yes? How is the judicial review going, presumably you're hoping for an outcome in your favour? And you'll have been following it closely, no doubt?
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby reohn2 » 19 Jun 2020, 5:09pm

mikeymo wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mikeymo wrote: government got this thing right, is that what you're saying? I want to be sure I understand correctly.
I don't criticise for the sake of criticism,


Yes you do. And deep down, in the depths of your soul, you know it too. Oh don't worry, yours is the usual outlook in generation "whinge-a-lot". Misery loves company, and all that. And there'll be a different government along in a few years who also won't be good enough for you. So that's OK, you'll still have somebody to complain about.

And I love you too XXX

Have a nice day :D

Signed
A Strangerontheinternet

PS, you're Dominic Cummings and I claim my five pounds :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mikeymo
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby mikeymo » 19 Jun 2020, 5:44pm

reohn2 wrote:PS, you're Dominic Cummings and I claim my five pounds :wink:


Drat, you've blown my cover.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

kwackers
Posts: 14593
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby kwackers » 19 Jun 2020, 6:59pm

mikeymo wrote:I'm sorry you were excluded from tendering for this work. Presumably it's the sort of thing you do, yes? How is the judicial review going, presumably you're hoping for an outcome in your favour? And you'll have been following it closely, no doubt?

Well I've bought stuff from China but I'm not big on catching rats.
My mum can sew though - and she's made her own masks (they're pretty good too).
Perhaps I could have got her to do it?

Other than that I'm not sure what the point of your reply was.
I suspect it was as daft as what I've just posted and that it's somehow indicative of your belief(?) that governments can do whatever they want and ignore due process.

Now the tracking app - that's a different story.
I could definitely have sorted that - and created one that would have worked to boot.

mikeymo
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby mikeymo » 19 Jun 2020, 7:28pm

kwackers wrote:Now the tracking app - that's a different story.
I could definitely have sorted that - and created one that would have worked to boot.


Of course you would.

I'm great at doing other people's jobs too. That Gareth Southgate is rubbish, I should be England manager.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

reohn2
Posts: 39427
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby reohn2 » 19 Jun 2020, 8:16pm

About the app:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53105642


Steve
Seems soft lad doesn't know what you do :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mikeymo
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Remember the ferry contract given to the company without ships?

Postby mikeymo » 19 Jun 2020, 9:09pm

reohn2 wrote:About the app:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53105642


Steve
Seems soft lad doesn't know what you do :wink:


I assume you work in software development?
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.