Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Post by mercalia »

Interesting article. thanks for that. I am unmoved by his declaration of his "deep pain" . suck it up as the yanks say.

he is reported as saying-
"To assume that white working class people are racist is wrong. Actually, a white working class man and black working class man have far more in common than a white working class man and white middle class man.

He seems to be totally ignoring that the incumbent vicars opinion of his congregation was certainly sought, for on the ground information? He is quick to assume he was rejected simplicité? He seems to be full of theory.

What I found interesting was the article mentioned a previous occasion where it was suggested he should move to a nearby black Pentocostal church.

Reverend Seminary Tanner-Ihm claimed that on another occasion, while working at a majority-white Church in southern England, it was suggested that he could move to a "really great black Pentocostal church" nearby.

suggests to me he has some attitudinal ( inflexibility) issue he doesnt recognise, and hasnt done anything to correct? He just doesnt understand matters here. I would like to know why he wants a job here rather than in the USA

He wasnt happy with his college's response it seems. Says a lot to my mind. He wants a position he isnt suited for, and done himself no favours by shouting "racist"
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Jun 2020, 11:27am, edited 1 time in total.
D363

Post by D363 »

Why would he go to a Pentecostal church if he's CofE?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This topic has been substantially pruned. Please think twice before you post stuff. And rather than sniping at each other, report posts that are inappropriate.

To be honest, I almost binned the thread.

If someone tells a black person that they cannot do a job *because they are black* it is a cut and dried case of racism. It meets the very definition of racism.

So, argue about whether he dealt with it appropriately, or if there is institutional racism in the church, or what the legal implications are, but if more moderator work is required, the thread goes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Vorpal wrote:This topic has been substantially pruned. Please think twice before you post stuff. And rather than sniping at each other, report posts that are inappropriate.

To be honest, I almost binned the thread.

If someone tells a black person that they cannot do a job *because they are black* it is a cut and dried case of racism. It meets the very definition of racism.

So, argue about whether he dealt with it appropriately, or if there is institution racism in the chirch, or what the legal implications are, but if more moderator work is required, the thread goes.

+1 to what you say Vorpal.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think he can do the job better because he is different

The church of is no longer the conservative party at prayer, it has lots of female and black eminences, Plus One!
Thread drift alert/attempt :wink:
Whatabout the catholic church? It has trouble getting enough priests but there is a lot of resistance to allowing them to marry, or allowing females
Surely there is or should be a way to deal with those who use bad language without the moderators having to go through a lot of material
Those using bad language spoil it for the rest of us. Again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:

Interesting article. thanks for that. I am unmoved by his declaration of his "deep pain" . suck it up as the yanks say.

he is reported as saying-
"To assume that white working class people are racist is wrong. Actually, a white working class man and black working class man have far more in common than a white working class man and white middle class man.

He seems to be totally ignoring that the incumbent vicars opinion of his congregation was certainly sought, for on the ground information? He is quick to assume he was rejected simplicité? He seems to be full of theory.

What I found interesting was the article mentioned a previous occasion where it was suggested he should move to a nearby black Pentocostal church.

Reverend Seminary Tanner-Ihm claimed that on another occasion, while working at a majority-white Church in southern England, it was suggested that he could move to a "really great black Pentocostal church" nearby.

suggests to me he has some attitudinal ( inflexibility) issue he doesnt recognise, and hasnt done anything to correct? He just doesnt understand matters here. I would like to know why he wants a job here rather than in the USA

He wasnt happy with his college's response it seems. Says a lot to my mind. He wants a position he isnt suited for, and done himself no favours by shouting "racist"

He is not a Pentecostalist.

He is an Anglican (Episcopalian).

You're suggesting that not changing his denomination to please racists shows "inflexibility".

Good on him.

You started this thread defending racism and continue to do so.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It doesn't get much more racist than being told you should go and worship at a black church.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:It doesn't get much more racist than being told you should go and worship at a black church.

Quite!

Racism is apparent on this thread of that I'm certain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Burning Crosses on all their church grounds! I have no time for intolerant supposedly religious, caring people in attendance.
Pagans give us far less bother! MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote:Burning Crosses on all their church grounds! I have no time for intolerant supposedly religious, caring people in attendance.
Pagans give us far less bother! MM

I must have missed that. Who was burning crosses?
John
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

merseymouth wrote:Pagans give us far less bother!

Sadly there are racist and far-right tendencies within paganism, usually among Wodenists or Odinists.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... k-ancient/
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I always had the idea that Buddhism was a tolerant, non-violent and benevolent religion.
And then Myanmar started persecuting the Rohingya.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mike Sales wrote:I always had the idea that Buddhism was a tolerant, non-violent and benevolent religion.

In WW2, which really was from 1937 - 1945 between China and Japan it is estimated overwhelming Buddhist Japan killed 3.9 million Chinese, the vast majority of them civilians.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I always had the idea that Buddhism was a tolerant, non-violent and benevolent religion.

In WW2, which really was from 1937 - 1945 between China and Japan it is estimated overwhelming Buddhist Japan killed 3.9 million Chinese, the vast majority of them civilians.

Did not the Japanese also worship their emperor, in a rather un-Buddhist way?
The Tibetan variety is also somewhat heretical.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?