Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw
Posts: 4446
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 Jun 2020, 9:50am

John

mercalia
Posts: 13501
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby mercalia » 22 Jun 2020, 11:17am




Interesting article. thanks for that. I am unmoved by his declaration of his "deep pain" . suck it up as the yanks say.

he is reported as saying-
"To assume that white working class people are racist is wrong. Actually, a white working class man and black working class man have far more in common than a white working class man and white middle class man.

He seems to be totally ignoring that the incumbent vicars opinion of his congregation was certainly sought, for on the ground information? He is quick to assume he was rejected simplicité? He seems to be full of theory.

What I found interesting was the article mentioned a previous occasion where it was suggested he should move to a nearby black Pentocostal church.


Reverend Seminary Tanner-Ihm claimed that on another occasion, while working at a majority-white Church in southern England, it was suggested that he could move to a "really great black Pentocostal church" nearby.

suggests to me he has some attitudinal ( inflexibility) issue he doesnt recognise, and hasnt done anything to correct? He just doesnt understand matters here. I would like to know why he wants a job here rather than in the USA

He wasnt happy with his college's response it seems. Says a lot to my mind. He wants a position he isnt suited for, and done himself no favours by shouting "racist"
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Jun 2020, 11:27am, edited 1 time in total.

D363
Posts: 175
Joined: 23 Aug 2014, 3:03pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby D363 » 22 Jun 2020, 11:27am

Why would he go to a Pentecostal church if he's CofE?

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 18197
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby Vorpal » 22 Jun 2020, 12:19pm

This topic has been substantially pruned. Please think twice before you post stuff. And rather than sniping at each other, report posts that are inappropriate.

To be honest, I almost binned the thread.

If someone tells a black person that they cannot do a job *because they are black* it is a cut and dried case of racism. It meets the very definition of racism.

So, argue about whether he dealt with it appropriately, or if there is institutional racism in the church, or what the legal implications are, but if more moderator work is required, the thread goes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

JohnW
Posts: 6364
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby JohnW » 22 Jun 2020, 12:51pm

Vorpal wrote:This topic has been substantially pruned. Please think twice before you post stuff. And rather than sniping at each other, report posts that are inappropriate.

To be honest, I almost binned the thread.

If someone tells a black person that they cannot do a job *because they are black* it is a cut and dried case of racism. It meets the very definition of racism.

So, argue about whether he dealt with it appropriately, or if there is institution racism in the chirch, or what the legal implications are, but if more moderator work is required, the thread goes.

+1 to what you say Vorpal.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13464
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby Cyril Haearn » 22 Jun 2020, 12:54pm

I think he can do the job better because he is different

The church of is no longer the conservative party at prayer, it has lots of female and black eminences, Plus One!
..
Thread drift alert/attempt :wink:
Whatabout the catholic church? It has trouble getting enough priests but there is a lot of resistance to allowing them to marry, or allowing females
..
Surely there is or should be a way to deal with those who use bad language without the moderators having to go through a lot of material
Those using bad language spoil it for the rest of us. Again
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3093
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby roubaixtuesday » 22 Jun 2020, 12:57pm

mercalia wrote:



Interesting article. thanks for that. I am unmoved by his declaration of his "deep pain" . suck it up as the yanks say.

he is reported as saying-
"To assume that white working class people are racist is wrong. Actually, a white working class man and black working class man have far more in common than a white working class man and white middle class man.

He seems to be totally ignoring that the incumbent vicars opinion of his congregation was certainly sought, for on the ground information? He is quick to assume he was rejected simplicité? He seems to be full of theory.

What I found interesting was the article mentioned a previous occasion where it was suggested he should move to a nearby black Pentocostal church.


Reverend Seminary Tanner-Ihm claimed that on another occasion, while working at a majority-white Church in southern England, it was suggested that he could move to a "really great black Pentocostal church" nearby.

suggests to me he has some attitudinal ( inflexibility) issue he doesnt recognise, and hasnt done anything to correct? He just doesnt understand matters here. I would like to know why he wants a job here rather than in the USA

He wasnt happy with his college's response it seems. Says a lot to my mind. He wants a position he isnt suited for, and done himself no favours by shouting "racist"


He is not a Pentecostalist.

He is an Anglican (Episcopalian).

You're suggesting that not changing his denomination to please racists shows "inflexibility".

Good on him.

You started this thread defending racism and continue to do so.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4446
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Jun 2020, 1:04pm

It doesn't get much more racist than being told you should go and worship at a black church.
John

reohn2
Posts: 39309
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby reohn2 » 22 Jun 2020, 5:44pm

Oldjohnw wrote:It doesn't get much more racist than being told you should go and worship at a black church.

Quite!

Racism is apparent on this thread of that I'm certain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

merseymouth
Posts: 1778
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby merseymouth » 22 Jun 2020, 5:50pm

Burning Crosses on all their church grounds! I have no time for intolerant supposedly religious, caring people in attendance.
Pagans give us far less bother! MM

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4446
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Jun 2020, 5:51pm

merseymouth wrote:Burning Crosses on all their church grounds! I have no time for intolerant supposedly religious, caring people in attendance.
Pagans give us far less bother! MM



I must have missed that. Who was burning crosses?
John

jgurney
Posts: 1010
Joined: 10 May 2009, 8:34am

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby jgurney » 22 Jun 2020, 5:58pm

merseymouth wrote:Pagans give us far less bother!

Sadly there are racist and far-right tendencies within paganism, usually among Wodenists or Odinists.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... k-ancient/

Mike Sales
Posts: 5029
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby Mike Sales » 22 Jun 2020, 6:00pm

I always had the idea that Buddhism was a tolerant, non-violent and benevolent religion.
And then Myanmar started persecuting the Rohingya.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2349
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby Ben@Forest » 22 Jun 2020, 9:36pm

Mike Sales wrote:I always had the idea that Buddhism was a tolerant, non-violent and benevolent religion.
And then Myanmar started persecuting the Rohingya.


In WW2, which really was from 1937 - 1945 between China and Japan it is estimated overwhelming Buddhist Japan killed 3.9 million Chinese, the vast majority of them civilians.

Mike Sales
Posts: 5029
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Black Durham trainee vicar denied job at 'white' church

Postby Mike Sales » 22 Jun 2020, 9:41pm

Ben@Forest wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I always had the idea that Buddhism was a tolerant, non-violent and benevolent religion.
And then Myanmar started persecuting the Rohingya.


In WW2, which really was from 1937 - 1945 between China and Japan it is estimated overwhelming Buddhist Japan killed 3.9 million Chinese, the vast majority of them civilians.


Did not the Japanese also worship their emperor, in a rather un-Buddhist way?
The Tibetan variety is also somewhat heretical.