Beards: Why? Why not?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Beards: Why? Why not?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We have been entertained by a rude shop assistant for a while, but whatabout beards? The Guardian often has articles about them, Eduard Phillippe the French PM (equal to chairman May, MacRon = Monarch) has a good one with an 'unsightly' white patch, caused by a harmless pigment disorder

The Beard Liberation Front fights for our right not to be discriminated against

I have always had one, quite grey-white now :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Beards: Why? Why not?

Post by Mick F »

I had one one on and off a few times in the RN at sea for weeks on end.
We were given permission to cease shaving.

Ordinarily, we had to formally ask permission to grow a set.
The RN don't have beards or moustaches, but both, and they are called sets.

Photo of me on the flight deck of the good ship HMS Sirius circa 1986.
In those days, I had hair.
No hair at all now. Totally bald from head to foot. No hair follicles whatsoever. Zero. :D
Sirius set.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I can’t get past this when I think of beards
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@Mick F
Where you at some time instructed to start shaving again? One understands the RN has a whole book of rules about this, doubtless with appropriate punishments :wink:

I am proud to say that I do not know how to shave
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Sore point.... I grew mine in 1978, and it has been with me ever since.

However, due to the protective equipment, it had to go. Beards prevent the seal for FFP3 masks we need to wear when dealing with positive patients.
There is a range of accepted styles|:

It was weird as none of my colleagues had ever seen me without, and even colleagues I had served with hadn't. Will not have to decide for a while whether to regrow.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:@Mick F
Where you at some time instructed to start shaving again? One understands the RN has a whole book of rules about this, doubtless with appropriate punishments :wink:

I am proud to say that I do not know how to shave

Yep:

1. Present request to shave through the Divisional (management) system
2. If approved, it is returned and you visit the Master at Arms in a clean-shaven state
3. You then have 14 days to grow a full set.
4. On completion of the 14 days, report to the Master at Arms who assesses your "growth" for gaps, consistency and appearance
5 If the set passes muster, you get to keep it, if not the order is given to shave it off!

One "cheat" was to plan it so that the growing period expired whilst you were on leave, so that you had additional time before visiting the Master at Arms for approval
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Why?

1) Don't need to shave so often
    2) Face is warmer in winter
    3) Handy accessory to catch soup, crumbs etc.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Why Not? – As Sid James would have once said, Rumpy-Pumpy (or lack thereof).

I once came back from a two week tour and while I away decided it'd be fun to see how far it's grow. I was quite impressed, the missus wasn't. Let's just say I'd been away for two weeks and was in need of some amorous attention; one kiss and yuk she said. Shave it off or 'it' is off. Five minutes in front of the shaving mirror was time well spent!
Last edited by NickWi on 26 Jun 2020, 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'It is like being kissed by a dog!' screeched SWMBO :?
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

I'd say "why not?" I started growing mine 2 1/2 years ago and my wife was skeptical, but it now looks similar to that of Billy Gibbons and she loves it. Sometimes it gets braided and I look like one of the Dothraki!. Only problem is cycling on a windy day - damn thing feels like I sail on my face!!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Not all bearded persons are prophets'

Arab saying
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

One of my sons spent some time working in Moslem dominated countries. After a period of home leave he was expected to take back presents for his workmates such as beer kits or packs of bacon for example. His instinct then and still is now when arriving back at host country to look for a customs line with a clean shaven officer. He was never stopped and searched fortunately even when diverted through Saudi which caused him some trepidation.
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

ambodach wrote:One of my sons spent some time working in Moslem dominated countries. After a period of home leave he was expected to take back presents for his workmates such as beer kits or packs of bacon for example. His instinct then and still is now when arriving back at host country to look for a customs line with a clean shaven officer. He was never stopped and searched fortunately even when diverted through Saudi which caused him some trepidation.

Sorry, but I have no idea what this has to do with this thread. Or anything in fact.

Anyway, beards, can't imagine why anyone would not have one. I have one and I look fantastic.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Beards or lack of. A beard could indicate a more hard line approach to a non believer whereas clean shaven could perhaps be less rigorous. That is the connection as I intended it anyway.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Some years ago Mariella Frostrup said that when a man grows a beard he's showing he's lost all interest in the opposite sex.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker