broad-beans - skin on - or off?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

broad-beans - skin on - or off?

Post by simonineaston »

So the first of my broad-beans are ready :-) There's no denying that fresh broad-beans are beans of two halves. The inside, once cooked, is soft and full of broad-beany goodness & flavour, the skin is where the texture lies. Do you remove the skin before eating or do you believe this exercise belongs in the box marked, "Life's Too Short" alongside peeling grapes?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bonefishblues

Re: broad-beans - skin on - or off?

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm an on by breeding, but do accept that off is a nicer taste, so do de-skin, more often than not.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You learn something new everyday :D
I’d never done, seen or heard of it. I’ve Googled it and yes people do it. Amazing :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

This year's crop seems to be either large plump beans with skins like a rhino's, or delicate little baby beans...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Paulatic wrote:You learn something new everyday :D
I’d never done, seen or heard of it. I’ve Googled it and yes people do it. Amazing :lol:

Yep, it the reduction ratios mean that:

A kilo of pods = 300g of shell-ons = about 150g of naked beans :?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

simonineaston wrote:This year's crop seems to be either large plump beans with skins like a rhino's, or delicate little baby beans...

Looking out the window at mine the flowers are just ending and Pods are just forming They are looking good and can’t wait but certainly won’t be taking the skin off.

E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hate the things
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pictures please
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Young, fresh beans, skin on, delicious.
Old, tough beans, skin on or off (who spends time skinning them?), horrible.
Richard M
Cardiff
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Paulatic wrote: Looking out the window at mine the flowers are just ending and Pods are just forming

Have to admit I've made a "mental" note of a couple of fields locally where beans are being grown this year. Suppose technically it'll be theft, but given that beans aren't a standard crop in the area, it's worth the risk (Nb. Won't be more than a few pod's and a fraction of those lost by inefficient harvesting - though I'm not clear as to whether they're being grown primarily to improve the soil, perhaps being fed to the cows at some date)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

gbnz wrote:
Paulatic wrote: Looking out the window at mine the flowers are just ending and Pods are just forming

Have to admit I've made a "mental" note of a couple of fields locally where beans are being grown this year. Suppose technically it'll be theft, but given that beans aren't a standard crop in the area, it's worth the risk (Nb. Won't be more than a few pod's and a fraction of those lost by inefficient harvesting - though I'm not clear as to whether they're being grown primarily to improve the soil, perhaps being fed to the cows at some date)

Could be for animal feed and specifically sometimes for pigeons. We grew them for pigeon feed back in the sixties and with the equipment we had then they were a nightmare to harvest.
An agricultural merchant I dealt with once told me how much a month supplying pigeon food is worth to them. Can’t recall the exact ammount now but it was staggering. I didn’t realise there must be so many lofts.

E2E info
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Paulatic wrote:[ sometimes for pigeons. .

Oop's. Don't mention pigeons, I have a guilty history :wink:

Have to to admit that when briefly residing in a farm cottage several years back, a couple of homeless "homing" pigeons had made home in my "bike shed". The farmer and neighbours detested the former tenant who'd encouraged them by feeding. I detested the pigeons who'd crap all over my bikes, particularly the compact framed, road bike I was still using then :x

But the ease with which pigeons heads come off, reaally took me by surprise. Aside from one who got away (NB. Quickly asked the gamekeeper next door to shoot it - the farmer and neighbours applauded my efforts :D )
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

gbnz wrote:
Paulatic wrote:[ sometimes for pigeons. .

Oop's. Don't mention pigeons, I have a guilty history :wink:

Have to to admit that when briefly residing in a farm cottage several years back, a couple of homeless "homing" pigeons had made home in my "bike shed". The farmer and neighbours detested the former tenant who'd encouraged them by feeding. I detested the pigeons who'd crap all over my bikes :x

But the ease with which pigeons heads come off, reaally took me by surprise. Aside from one who got away (NB. Quickly asked the gamekeeper next door to shoot it - the farmer and neighbours applauded my efforts :D )

:lol: :lol:
You were only meant to neck it not pull it’s bloody head off. :lol:

E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread drift alert :wink:
Surely nobody peels or skins broad beans
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Hmm, I wonder how much of the fibre is in the skin. One of the great things about home growing, pick them small.

As for peeling, depends on the recipe. A few peeled as more of a garnish might be nice. Or puree them. Here's one I like, removed the problem as it's pureed https://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2017/11/1 ... ean-puree/
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....