Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 13507
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby mercalia » 24 Jun 2020, 8:26pm

Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

I have fond memories of owning an OM1/2 film camera system

Any one here had an Olympus Trip?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53165293

Olympus Corporation, however, will continue.

The company never stopped making microscopes, and has turned its optical technology to other scientific and medical equipment such as endoscopes.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13501
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby Cyril Haearn » 24 Jun 2020, 8:34pm

I had an Olympus Trip, +1
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Tangled Metal
Posts: 6734
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Jun 2020, 9:13pm

They were the pioneers of the mirrorless technology and had stopped making DSLRs some time back. I went into a camera all and they said the Olympus kit deal being promoted by Olympus was just about their best camera offer for enthusiastic amateurs. Their sensor size was apparently slightly smaller than all the competition except Panasonic IIRC that used the same sensors as Olympus. However that size was more than compensated by b other factors that made the Olympus capable of producing better images.

A true loss as I do not believe they'll let the real design talent leave the group to go with the camera division that's supposedly being sold off to an investment group. They'll not keep up with competition. Not that Olympus was showing interest in that neither I heard.

I hope I can pick one of their last true Olympus mirrors systems before things go downhill. I missed out on am old model for £280 February., The current model was being sold for£600 I'm a kit or £400+ without the kit.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 6734
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Jun 2020, 9:17pm

Also if you looked at high altitude mountaineering photographs over the last 30 years chances are a lot of the action photographs were taken with an Olympus. They did an very light SLR in film days I believe that was very robust and capable even in the cold and high altitude. IIRC magnesium alloy giving it strength but I could be mixed up with that. There be were highly recommended for people active in the outdoors who wanted a good camera that's built for the conditions.

mercalia
Posts: 13507
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby mercalia » 24 Jun 2020, 10:37pm

Tangled Metal wrote:They were the pioneers of the mirrorless technology and had stopped making DSLRs some time back. I went into a camera all and they said the Olympus kit deal being promoted by Olympus was just about their best camera offer for enthusiastic amateurs. Their sensor size was apparently slightly smaller than all the competition except Panasonic IIRC that used the same sensors as Olympus. However that size was more than compensated by b other factors that made the Olympus capable of producing better images.

A true loss as I do not believe they'll let the real design talent leave the group to go with the camera division that's supposedly being sold off to an investment group. They'll not keep up with competition. Not that Olympus was showing interest in that neither I heard.

I hope I can pick one of their last true Olympus mirrors systems before things go downhill. I missed out on am old model for £280 February., The current model was being sold for£600 I'm a kit or £400+ without the kit.


care to say what model you are looking for?

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 2898
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby simonineaston » 24 Jun 2020, 10:37pm

It's likely that they're only selling off the consumer digital camera part of the company - their core market these days is medical stuff - microscopes and so on. I've always favoured Olympus cameras, having used Pens & OMs back when I worked in film photography and even now, still use a collection of Zuiko Pen lenses with Fuji X series digital bodies. They look as if they're made for each other.
Screenshot 2020-06-24 22.35.32.png
screenshot of old website...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Tangled Metal
Posts: 6734
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Jun 2020, 11:37pm

mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:They were the pioneers of the mirrorless technology and had stopped making DSLRs some time back. I went into a camera all and they said the Olympus kit deal being promoted by Olympus was just about their best camera offer for enthusiastic amateurs. Their sensor size was apparently slightly smaller than all the competition except Panasonic IIRC that used the same sensors as Olympus. However that size was more than compensated by b other factors that made the Olympus capable of producing better images.

A true loss as I do not believe they'll let the real design talent leave the group to go with the camera division that's supposedly being sold off to an investment group. They'll not keep up with competition. Not that Olympus was showing interest in that neither I heard.

I hope I can pick one of their last true Olympus mirrors systems before things go downhill. I missed out on am old model for £280 February., The current model was being sold for£600 I'm a kit or £400+ without the kit.


care to say what model you are looking for?

TBH I've gone off the idea looking at the prices just now. I'm certain I saw a £280 OMD M10 Mark II in pcworld. Local camera shop chain had the latest model with a whole load of extras in the kit for £600. Not much more than just the camera todayi think.

Whatever the price I've changed my mind. I might get a tough camera later on if they're still around making good cameras.

PH
Posts: 9043
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby PH » 25 Jun 2020, 12:06am

That's a bit of a blow for the M 4/3 market. It was always hoped it would become a standard, but it didn't happen.

pwa
Posts: 12384
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby pwa » 25 Jun 2020, 5:56am

My OM10 (with manual adaptor to allow precise control of exposure time) was a brilliant camera for a novice wanting to control the image, and I have loads of pics from that era with reduced depth of field, an effect I liked at that time. When I moved over to digital it was consigned to the back of a cupboard but a few years ago my wife found an artist who still used film cameras and gave it to them. I hope it is still going.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10731
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby Cunobelin » 25 Jun 2020, 6:21am

PH wrote:That's a bit of a blow for the M 4/3 market. It was always hoped it would become a standard, but it didn't happen.



I love the MFT system and my "goto" for travelling. I have a Pen EPL8 and an Olympus OM-D E-M10 that are small, compact, efficient and have all the feature that I need and many I don't)

Not sure the brand will disappear though

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10731
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby Cunobelin » 25 Jun 2020, 6:30am

Tangled Metal wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:They were the pioneers of the mirrorless technology and had stopped making DSLRs some time back. I went into a camera all and they said the Olympus kit deal being promoted by Olympus was just about their best camera offer for enthusiastic amateurs. Their sensor size was apparently slightly smaller than all the competition except Panasonic IIRC that used the same sensors as Olympus. However that size was more than compensated by b other factors that made the Olympus capable of producing better images.

A true loss as I do not believe they'll let the real design talent leave the group to go with the camera division that's supposedly being sold off to an investment group. They'll not keep up with competition. Not that Olympus was showing interest in that neither I heard.

I hope I can pick one of their last true Olympus mirrors systems before things go downhill. I missed out on am old model for £280 February., The current model was being sold for£600 I'm a kit or £400+ without the kit.


care to say what model you are looking for?

TBH I've gone off the idea looking at the prices just now. I'm certain I saw a £280 OMD M10 Mark II in pcworld. Local camera shop chain had the latest model with a whole load of extras in the kit for £600. Not much more than just the camera todayi think.

Whatever the price I've changed my mind. I might get a tough camera later on if they're still around making good cameras.


MK II is superseded and stock being cleared

I have two systems one is Olympus. Small practical and easy to travel with. The second is Pentax more robust and waterproof, larger sensor

The two are different beasts

User avatar
philg
Posts: 506
Joined: 7 May 2009, 12:13pm
Location: Porlock, Somerset

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby philg » 25 Jun 2020, 7:59am

I never owned an Olympus SLR, mainly had Canon and Pentax, but one of my all-time favourite cameras was the Olympus XA.

So small but gave some great results, the bolt-on side flash unit was also pretty good.
Sadly it went for a swim in an Austrian lake and was then obsolete so never got replaced.

I gave up any pretensions to art long ago so my only recent camera was a Panasonic Lumix, which went on ebay once the Huawei P30 Pro arrived :oops:

Clouded Leopard
Posts: 19
Joined: 2 May 2020, 1:08pm
Location: East Lancashire Moors

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby Clouded Leopard » 25 Jun 2020, 8:52am

Still using an Olympus OM1 Film camera plus the OMD 10Mk3 and OMD Mk5. Although the digital cameras are 4/3 they are producing superb images. Just love the OM 1 but sadly my favourite film Agfapan 25 is no longer available The DSLRs are far too heavy and bulky for me. So it looks like Sony from now on.
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13501
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby Cyril Haearn » 25 Jun 2020, 8:59am

Clouded, please, why are you still using a film camera? I used to love using mine, but I have 30 kg of paper pictures (need to sort them sometime)
Someone said: discard all your poor pictures, then you only have a few left and people think you are a good photographer :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 2898
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Live & work in Briz'l

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby simonineaston » 25 Jun 2020, 9:12am

discard all your poor pictures, then you only have a few left and people think you are a good photographer :wink:
My shooting ratio used to be 1 really good image per standard roll, with maybe half a dozen usable - using a Pen meant 72 frames per roll, so I could double those numbers. And ratio wise, nothing's changed. First thing I do after I import a photo session is delete all the also-rans.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)