Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby merseymouth » 25 Jun 2020, 9:22am

I blame David Bailey! :shock: :oops: :lol: . IGICB MM

millimole

Postby millimole » 25 Jun 2020, 12:02pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Clouded, please, why are you still using a film camera? I used to love using mine, but I have 30 kg of paper pictures (need to sort them sometime)
Someone said: discard all your poor pictures, then you only have a few left and people think you are a good photographer :wink:
I have recently taken to photography (although it's snaps not proper clever photos) and made the deliberately conscious decision to go with film.
I take 24 / 36 thoughtful pictures (or twice that with half frame) rather than hundreds without thinking about it.
My negatives are scanned by the lab and come to me by email. I've very few prints.

Back on topic - my usual holiday camera is an Olympus Trip 35 - the one David Bailey did the adverts for.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 25 Jun 2020, 1:10pm

I used to use Kodachrome colour slide film or Ilford b/w film - bought it by the 100 feet in a roll and filled my own cassettes. Good days

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 25 Jun 2020, 1:30pm

millemole wrote:Back on topic - my usual holiday camera is an Olympus Trip 35 - the one David Bailey did the adverts for.
Check out one of the XA series - they're very similar to the venerable Trip but with added je ne sais quoi!
Yoshi Maitani's last design to make it to the shops. He of the Pen and the OM (as in Olympus Maitani...) Quite why he chose full-frame for the XA, I don't know... half-frame would have made for an exceptional travel camera.
Good days
I've gotta say I so don't miss the whole dark-room, light-tight, sloshing around with chemicals, thing one bit!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Clouded Leopard

Postby Clouded Leopard » 25 Jun 2020, 2:48pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Clouded, please, why are you still using a film camera? I used to love using mine, but I have 30 kg of paper pictures (need to sort them sometime)
Someone said: discard all your poor pictures, then you only have a few left and people think you are a good photographer :wink:

Processing film is magical whereas I find digital boring as I do computers etc. The only bit of IT I have is this iPad, no cellphone, no landline etc. A bit of a dinosaur I’m afraid refusing to be enslaved by IT.
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 25 Jun 2020, 4:22pm

simonineaston wrote:
Good days
I've gotta say I so don't miss the whole dark-room, light-tight, sloshing around with chemicals, thing one bit!

well it was fun. seeing a picture develop in front of you. magic. I never did colour processing, just b/w. Now all that is consigned to history.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 25 Jun 2020, 4:56pm

I get the 'magic' thing - watching a print develop is magic... one of the great analogue experiences of the twentieth century.
Now, it's similar to my attitude to music - 95% of my music, I access via computer, but I still have a vinyl replay system for those rare occasions when I want to enjoy a different experience, ie the magic of flicking thru my vinyl, choosing & playing an album, looking at the sleeve, and sitting down to listen. Don't do it very often, but enjoy it when I do. And indeed, if I was rich and could afford the luxury of a dark-room, waiting for me to use it once every couple of years, I would probably still enjoy that too!
R0026663.jpeg
whizz-whizz...
Last edited by simonineaston on 25 Jun 2020, 7:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 25 Jun 2020, 5:51pm

Hi all, Home colour processing is/was a real money pit! Getting the colour filtering right is hard work, which only gets worse when one has to adjust he exposure timing, everything is a difficult balance. Of course it gets worse as the process has to be repeated for each make and speed of film, horrible even without the odour issues!
Been there, done it, don't miss it. But monochrome is a whole different ball game, very therapeutic. Just stick to resin coated multi-grade paper, as fibre paper is very time consuming. TTFN MM

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 25 Jun 2020, 6:07pm

There is a massive difference.

I go on holiday and take several hundred photos, trying angles, exposures and other experiments

I go on holiday with film and I take 72 photos, all of which are far more planned and controlled.

I still shoot occasional film, just to remind myself of the basic skills.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 25 Jun 2020, 6:11pm

Slightly OT...

There was an article recently about how many museums rely on photographs, many from house clearances or donated by the relatives of someone who is deceased. They are a vitl record of history, fashion and social history

Those same photos now would be sat on a hard drive that will be thrown away, wiped or simply wiped.

Ironic that when more pictures are being taken than ever, their chances of being shared as a historical record are at their lowest

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 25 Jun 2020, 6:27pm

Indeed, the National Railway Museum has a huge collection
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 25 Jun 2020, 6:29pm

Cunobelin wrote:Slightly OT...

There was an article recently about how many museums rely on photographs, many from house clearances or donated by the relatives of someone who is deceased. They are a vitl record of history, fashion and social history

Those same photos now would be sat on a hard drive that will be thrown away, wiped or simply wiped.

Ironic that when more pictures are being taken than ever, their chances of being shared as a historical record are at their lowest

Oh I dunno, I think Google keeps lots of records :?

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 25 Jun 2020, 6:41pm

My first digital camera was an Olympus, 3.1 megapixel I think and can't remember the model. It was a lovely camera although went through batteries quickly. The brand will probably be taken over by a Chinese brand.

philg

Postby philg » 25 Jun 2020, 6:59pm

Cunobelin wrote:Slightly OT...

Even more OT - anyone remember this excellent film Shooting the Past?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184157/

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 25 Jun 2020, 7:00pm

It matters nothing in the great scheme of things.

We had cameras that took film, and you handed the roll over in the local chemist and waited a week to see your prints. The best of them went into an album. They were black and white, and only latterly in colour.

Then we had digital cameras and had to connect up to a computer or whatever with the right software, and see them on a screen and save them as you wished ...... or not. Five mega pixels or even ten.

Now we have a mobile phone with twelve mega pixels and selfies and movies and all sorts of effects, all in a small pocket phone.
iCloud or whatever, no physical connection to anything, the pictures etc can be texted, emailed, messengered, facebooked, published ............... the list is endless.

So what?
Mick F. Cornwall