Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Postby merseymouth » 26 Jun 2020, 5:36pm

Hi Guys, I'm currently playing with a Sony AX6000, employs an APC sensor in full frame mode, so has the same image ratio as my Nikon D90, with far less weight. The body with two lenses weighs about my strength limit.
Only the interface between the camera & lap-top is giving me issues, too complicated for this old fool! The daughter will have to rescue me.
I can cope with it hooked up to my PC, so can survive until after lock-down. MM

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 26 Jun 2020, 6:21pm

Image size taken by a 35mm half-frame camera is 24mm x 18mm, in portrait orientation. The APS-c sensor used in my Fuji's X series cameras, measures 23.6mm x 15.6mm, albeit in landscape orientation. Optically, the Zuiko lenses I use on my Fujifilm cameras behave in exactly the same way they used to, on the old Pen bodies, which is an absolute gift - I never thought I'd use them again, until the recent availability of inexpensive, good-quality adaptors from China.
However, since I don't use the Zuiko lenses on a full-frame digital slr - and never will - the concept of a crop factor is hypothetical. By coincidence (well, not exactly conicidence, as those interested can learn if they read up on the history of image sensor development! ), the lenses were designed and built to make an image that closely matches the size of sensor found in certain modern compact digital cameras, in my case Fujis. The notion of a crop factor has no bearing on the way I use the lenses with these particular digital bodies. I simply see the image that I see, and compose and take pictures accordingly, just as I did when using my old Pens, except the viewfinder image is a good deal brighter, thanks to Fuji's excellent evf :-).
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 26 Jun 2020, 6:59pm

My apologies Simon, I missed the 'half-frame' reference. :roll:
I haven't used 'full frame' since I got rid of my Canon A1 yonks ago and have only used bridge and compact cameras since then.
Once I plumped for the Panasonic and Olympus cameras I didn't have to bother with conversion factors, as like you, I know what the image will look like with each lens.
It's only when real old-timers start asking about such a small camera that I have to explain crop factors. :lol:

I do wish I'd had (or even have) one of the original Pen half-frame cameras though.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 26 Jun 2020, 7:04pm

a Sony AX6000, employs an APC sensor in full frame mode, so has the same image ratio as my Nikon D90,
I'm not understanding how a camera that uses an APS-c sensor can be used in "full frame mode". It would be interesting to hear more about that idea.
ttfn, Simon in Easton

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 26 Jun 2020, 7:08pm

No worries Mr C :-)
Here's a link to a great little page about the old Pens (albeit in German).
ttfn, Simon in Easton

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 26 Jun 2020, 8:49pm

Thanks for the link Simon.
If nothing else, I now have a new favourite word:

"bildwinkel" :)

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Jun 2020, 9:31pm

pwa wrote:
Mick F wrote:Who needs a wrist watch now?

I need one at work. For a quick glance at the time without having to dig a phone out of my pocket.

And I still take a better pic with a good camera than with a phone.

I have stopped wearing a watch because my activity tracker has a clock function. Still wearing a watch? Fuddy duddy, fuddy duddy, fuddy duddy. Sounds like a train over the joints if you say it quick enough over and over again. Courtesy of Thomas and friends story collection I have read for son so many times I only have to start a story reading it and finish it without looking at the page.

Even more off topic because there's really nothing more to say about the Olympus story for now.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 27 Jun 2020, 8:33am

A few years ago Minolta also dropped out of the camera market. They'd been making consistently high quality cameras for many years. Kodak also stopped making cameras after more than a hundred years.
I wonder how much camera makers rely on the consumer end of the market which is vanishing rapidly in the face of mobile phone cameras.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Jun 2020, 9:38am

Tangled Metal wrote:I have stopped wearing a watch because my activity tracker has a clock function.
I stopped wearing a watch when I realised it was a habit. That's it, just a habit.
These days, we have all sorts of stuff that has the time on it.

Worn a wrist watch from my later school days until my mid 50s before I saw the light. I have two, and both have been in a drawer for 15+ years. Both Seiko - one automatic and one battery. I suppose the battery is dead now.

Good mate of mine is a lifelong wristwatch wearer and he's in his mid 70s, and I've told him how pointless it is, but he's wedded to it.
Mick F. Cornwall

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 Jun 2020, 11:45am

Mick F wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I have stopped wearing a watch because my activity tracker has a clock function.
I stopped wearing a watch when I realised it was a habit. That's it, just a habit.
These days, we have all sorts of stuff that has the time on it.

Worn a wrist watch from my later school days until my mid 50s before I saw the light. I have two, and both have been in a drawer for 15+ years. Both Seiko - one automatic and one battery. I suppose the battery is dead now.

Good mate of mine is a lifelong wristwatch wearer and he's in his mid 70s, and I've told him how pointless it is, but he's wedded to it.

But think about it Mick. You ditched wearing a watch after you retired and you no longer had schedules to keep up with. I too take my watch off on non-work days. But when I'm working it is useful to have the time available with just a glance at a wrist, with no need to dig a phone out of a pocket. Roll on the day when I'm not in such a rush.

For me the glory days of cameras where when they had lots of finely made moving parts, but those days are gone. So I no longer feel any strong attachment to the clever but less visually appealing modern stuff. They used to be mostly mechanical with a dash of electronics, but now they seem to be loads of electronics with a dash of mechanical. For a reason, of course, but now they are just tools to do a job, not the works of art they seemed to me at one time. So I no longer care who makes them so long as they work.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 27 Jun 2020, 11:53am

I stopped wearing a watch as I realised I never took it off and the wrist band was a bacteria/dirt/dead skin,grease magnet. But then I dont work any more so dont even know what day of the week it is some times. bliss

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Jun 2020, 11:59am

I ditched wearing a watch indeed after I retired, but that doesn't explain why people wear them even after retiring.

I came to my senses when I realised I was looking at the time from pure habit.
Mick F. Cornwall

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 27 Jun 2020, 1:20pm

doesn't explain why people wear them even after retiring.
For some, the wrist-watch is an important status symbol. Plus, there's a subset of collectors, who like wrist-watches for their design and lovely miniature engineering, who don't go for the obvious brands, but seek out the rareties & oddities. Plus there's another subset who choose and wear them for simply for their looks, like a good suit or a good pair of shoes. Plus there's another subset who associate them with the military and wear a "technical" watch to emulate wearers spotted in films or games. Plus there's a subset of wags, who wear an expensive watch to reflect their spouse's fortune. I remember chatting to a rockstar chum's new missus, who sported a gents Rolex SO LARGE that when she raised her dainty wrist (she was a model) to glance at the time (Simon was late...) the watch rotated under the force of gravity so that the hands always faced down, thus rendering the watch useless, at least, as a time-piece...
ttfn, Simon in Easton

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 Jun 2020, 1:28pm

Mick F wrote:I ditched wearing a watch indeed after I retired, but that doesn't explain why people wear them even after retiring.

I came to my senses when I realised I was looking at the time from pure habit.

I can relate to that. I often make a point of taking the watch off on days off work.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 27 Jun 2020, 1:36pm

taking the watch off on days off work.
I've never worn a watch. I always know what the time is, to within effective tolerances, so to speak, which may sound like a boast, but I don't mean it as such. It's just an example of how our senses develop to cope with personal circumstances, like folks who lose sight, using other senses more to compensate.
ttfn, Simon in Easton