Mc D's are back.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Mc D's are back.

Postby mercalia » 25 Jun 2020, 7:30pm

simonineaston

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby simonineaston » 25 Jun 2020, 7:45pm

WHoo-Hoo - let the deforestation begin again!!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 25 Jun 2020, 7:57pm

How can they be called "restaurants"?
"Burger Joint", or maybe "Fast Food Takeaway", or "Cheap bad-for-you-and-makes-you-fat rubbish-food Takeaway".

What makes them a "restaurant"?
Is it coz you can sit down at a table having carried your "food" yourself on a plastic tray, and then chuck your rubbish into a bin after you've eaten what you can of it?
Mick F. Cornwall

peetee

Postby peetee » 25 Jun 2020, 8:02pm

It’s not escaped my notice these places have started to re-open. The litter problem has escalated alarmingly in the past few days. :cry:
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 25 Jun 2020, 9:13pm

peetee wrote:It’s not escaped my notice these places have started to re-open. The litter problem has escalated alarmingly in the past few days. :cry:

I was just noticing when out at the weekend that there were considerable amounts of fast food wrappers including polystyrene chip trays on the roadside.

Sickening.
John

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 25 Jun 2020, 9:21pm

Motorway McD open near us. Girl in village is happy she’s got work again rest of village unhappy the litter will start again.
What is it with these laughing gas cylinders? Found what must have been a hundred in a recessed gateway a few weeks ago. Why don’t we ban the sale of these things?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 25 Jun 2020, 9:45pm

Paulatic wrote:Motorway McD open near us. Girl in village is happy she’s got work again rest of village unhappy the litter will start again.
What is it with these laughing gas cylinders? Found what must have been a hundred in a recessed gateway a few weeks ago. Why don’t we ban the sale of these things?

Has anyone thought of a use for them? Maybe cut off the top and refill them?

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 25 Jun 2020, 11:33pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
peetee wrote:It’s not escaped my notice these places have started to re-open. The litter problem has escalated alarmingly in the past few days. :cry:

I was just noticing when out at the weekend that there were considerable amounts of fast food wrappers including polystyrene chip trays on the roadside.

Sickening.

At least you can spot Mac D's packaging. Is it from them or plain ones your seeing? Plain ones will likely be the independents.

There was something my partner read that MacD was thinking of trialling the printing of vehicle registration plate on packaging at the drivethroughs so they can be traced and fined if there's a problem area. Doubt it'll happen but would be a case of treating the symptoms not the disease.

I still remember wimpys fast food restaurant. There was one in my local town as a kid before Macdonald's opened. I went there once and had a nice burger on a proper plate with metal knife and fork. Good old British style of fast food restaurant. Now that's a better form of fast food IMHO.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 25 Jun 2020, 11:50pm

I make my own speedy food, lentil soup
Heats up in three minutes :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Jun 2020, 12:49am

Rather eat a Macdonald's. In fact I'd rather eat Macdonald's packaging!!

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 26 Jun 2020, 7:01am

Hi, Cycling out from the ferry in France, the other year with a CTC Tour, I sought out the historic monument?
I was seeking "The Burgers of Calais"? All I could see was McDonalds! Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 MM

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Jun 2020, 7:27am

The ideal trip appears to be:

Park illegally some where in Dorset
Camp on the beach at Bournemouth
Buy a McD's
Get drunk
Leave 40 tonnes of rubbish and beat up the rubbish collectors
Defecate in the McD box and leave it in the sand

Oh! to be in England.

PS and while you're at it, you may as well do your bit to bring about a second wave of the virus. And as the government is trying to build airbridges with EU holiday areas you have to wonder, will Brits be welcome?
John

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 26 Jun 2020, 8:06am

When lockdown started, the hedgerow vegetation was low and we were encouraged to stay in but walk my missus and l did a litter pick along local lanes. There were cans, crisp packets and some surprisingly old bottles but the single biggest item, in number and almost in volume was farmyard plastics; silage wrap, feed bags and so on.

Commuting to work many years ago and after a wild, windy weekend l saw that the plastic which had been lain over a newly planted crop had all been blown off and was now flying like tattered flags in an adjacent woodland. It simply stayed like that until it had all finally degraded.

If you're blaming McDs there are far bigger culprits to go after, and incidentally on our litter pick the only food packaging other than crisp packets was pre-packaged sandwiches. Just like Orwell's Two Minute Hate seems like people are easily directed onto one target.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Jun 2020, 8:08am

Oldjohnw wrote:The ideal trip appears to be:

Buy a McD's
Get drunk

Oh! to be in England.

PS and while you're at it, you may as well do your bit to bring about a second wave of the virus. And as the government is trying to build airbridges with EU holiday areas you have to wonder, will Brits be welcome?

That's the power of media reporting right there, I think.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Jun 2020, 8:43am

Bonefishblues wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The ideal trip appears to be:

Buy a McD's
Get drunk

Oh! to be in England.

That's the power of media reporting right there, I think.

You saying that there weren't crowds on Bournemouth beach?
John