Mc D's are back.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Oldjohnw » 28 Jun 2020, 3:15pm

Paulatic wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:[
In Germany, where l lived, the press were pretty good at distinguishing 'die Briten' from 'die Engländer', but blokes from Dumfries in a fight in Duisburg could either by locals or in the local press be described as English whereas blokes from Doncaster would never be wrongly identified as Scottish.

I don’t know.. go on tell me how someone from Dumfries could be described as English.

Of course, to me, people from Dumfries are southerners.
John

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 28 Jun 2020, 3:22pm

Paulatic wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:In Germany, where l lived, the press were pretty good at distinguishing 'die Briten' from 'die Engländer', but blokes from Dumfries in a fight in Duisburg could either by locals or in the local press be described as English whereas blokes from Doncaster would never be wrongly identified as Scottish.

I don’t know.. go on tell me how someone from Dumfries could be described as English.

It doesn't matter, l could just have easily chosen Leith or Dunbar. It's simply that (often offending Scottish sensibilities) Europeans can lump all British into the category 'English'. This means that somebody Scottish causing offence in Ibiza or Benidorm is labelled 'English'. But an English person causing offence is not mislabelled Scottish or Welsh.

Of course there are 10 x more English than Scots, so they will be involved in anything good or bad 10 x more. But proportionally is there a difference?

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 28 Jun 2020, 5:06pm

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I think the evidence is that they don't. Drunken, selfish behaviour is the same whether in Glasgow, Newcastle, Bournemouth or London.

However, the good folk of Newcastle - and Northumberland - don't fear an invasion of Scots bringing rubbish and a virus, whereas the Scots fear - and with good cause based on both current evidence and past experience - an invasion from south of the Border.

According to Visit Scotland they're encouraging English visitors from 15th July.

Err, I think you will find visitors will be allowed to visit Scotland from the 15th. Not just English visitors.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Jun 2020, 6:07pm

Ben@Forest wrote:It doesn't matter, l could just have easily chosen Leith or Dunbar. It's simply that (often offending Scottish sensibilities) Europeans can lump all British into the category 'English'. This means that somebody Scottish causing offence in Ibiza or Benidorm is labelled 'English'. But an English person causing offence is not mislabelled Scottish or Welsh.
?

Not sure about that. I’ve just visited a Spanish newspaper web site and put 'Benidorm' into their search. Lots of articles come up but always described as Brits or British so we’re all tarred with the same brush. Most interesting though was every other article in the search appears to refer to a Brit.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 28 Jun 2020, 6:09pm

Yes because Benidorm especially targeted the British market, our boys and girls are especially numerous there
Other places are full of Germans or Scandinvians
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 28 Jun 2020, 6:59pm

Paulatic wrote:Not sure about that. I’ve just visited a Spanish newspaper web site and put 'Benidorm' into their search. Lots of articles come up but always described as Brits or British so we’re all tarred with the same brush. Most interesting though was every other article in the search appears to refer to a Brit.

Surely something called `The Olive Press' is an English language media platform which is mainly interested in Brit ex-pats or British holidaymakers so would mention Brits more? And as l initially said, the press are better at knowing the difference than people generally.

What l definitely know is l speak good German (though it was better 20 years ago), have lived there and have returned frequently since. In that time l have often been asked if was English or come from England, l may have been asked if l was British or from Britain, but nowhere near as often. I've been asked if l was French and (once each) Polish or Italian. Nobody has ever asked if l was Scottish or from Scotland.

ossie

Postby ossie » 28 Jun 2020, 7:41pm

pete75 wrote:
ossie wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
If you say so.

Indeed. The beach is eight miles long. What happened was nothing much out of the ordinary. It happens every year( every time we have a mini heatwave)..... this year the press and his dog took a few selective pictures and the anti Tory council leader ramped up the rhetoric.

Yes I'm sure Bournemouth gets lots of visitors each year. It's a seaside resort which sets out to attract them. It doesn't, as far as I'm aware, get a pandemic each years. That is the difference.

We had a pandemic when we had similar numbers down the beach a few weeks back. Guess what... nothing happened.(other than the new council throwing a similar hissy fit and blaming everyone but themselves and their inability to deal with crowds)

pete75

Postby pete75 » 28 Jun 2020, 7:55pm

ossie wrote:
pete75 wrote:
ossie wrote:
Indeed. The beach is eight miles long. What happened was nothing much out of the ordinary. It happens every year( every time we have a mini heatwave)..... this year the press and his dog took a few selective pictures and the anti Tory council leader ramped up the rhetoric.

Yes I'm sure Bournemouth gets lots of visitors each year. It's a seaside resort which sets out to attract them. It doesn't, as far as I'm aware, get a pandemic each years. That is the difference.

We had a pandemic when we had similar numbers down the beach a few weeks back. Guess what... nothing happened.(other than the new council throwing a similar hissy fit and blaming everyone but themselves and their inability to deal with crowds)

You tracked and traced all the people there? How do you know nothing happened with the spread of C19? It seems your post on this are driven more by your dislike of Bournemouth council than anything else. That the trouble with you right whingers - democracy is great but only when you get the result you want.

ossie

Postby ossie » 28 Jun 2020, 8:13pm

pete75 wrote:
ossie wrote:
pete75 wrote:

You tracked and traced all the people there? How do you know nothing happened with the spread of C19?

Firstly the figures speak for themselves. This is one of the safest places in the UK. We also have a population of nearly half a million who live in the conurbation and within ten miles of the beach....guess what, many of those people in the pictures are locals, likewise during the May day bank holiday and plenty of other dates recently.

Secondly my kids and their friends have been down the beach almost daily, weather permitting. During this so called 'major Incident' we contacted them to ask what was happening. They sent a video back showing social distancing on the beach, in the queue for the toilets and the queue for kiosks.

There are drone pictures out there showing plenty of social distancing on the beach even so much as either side of Bournemouth pier.

You can stand on the cliff or the pier and see the exact opposite with a suitably aimed camera and a lens. The beach is eight miles long, its easy for the press to take pics and say its a potential armageddon or crime scene, which it wasn't.

The only crime was the inability of people to take their rubbish home, some inconsiderate parking and a small degree of public order, which usually happens when we have mini heatwaves.

If in two weeks we're all dropping like flies I'll happily pop back and say I was wrong.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Jun 2020, 8:24pm

ossie wrote:[

Firstly the figures speak for themselves. This is one of the safest places in the UK..

Great at last someone who can show me where to get the figures for England health boards or council areas.

I’ve asked at least twice on these forums and no one has come forward with a link similar to the one I use for Scotland.
https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotlan ... s-tracker/

ossie

Postby ossie » 28 Jun 2020, 8:29pm

Paulatic wrote:

Firstly the figures speak for themselves. This is one of the safest places in the UK..

Great at last someone who can show me where to get the figures for England health boards or council areas.

I’ve asked at least twice on these forums and no one has come forward with a link similar to the one I use for Scotland.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... d-19-cases

The BCP area of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole has had 492 cases for example, the rest of Dorset 372 both of which are near the bottom of the scale per head of population.

ossie

Postby ossie » 28 Jun 2020, 8:39pm

pete75 wrote:
ossie wrote: It seems your post on this are driven more by your dislike of Bournemouth council than anything else. That the trouble with you right whingers - democracy is great but only when you get the result you want.

I see you edited and added this little kick in the nuts.

The Council leader is Lib Dem...guess who my household vote for..yes Lib Dem :lol:

That said we can differentiate between individuals who are up to the job and those who aren't. The current council is new and inexperienced and I'm afraid now a bit of a laughing stock.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 28 Jun 2020, 9:16pm

ossie wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

The BCP area of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole has had 492 cases for example, the rest of Dorset 372 both of which are near the bottom of the scale per head of population.

We have to bear in mind the demographics of the area, of course. I have no particular knowledge, but I would hazard a guess that the average age is rather older than the national average, and that a significant number were self-isolating.

I live in a village with a similar demographic (drawing a parallel, not a comparison). One person contracted C19. He is an Oxford University member of staff, most of the rest were tucked away, pitchforks at the ready should anyone they didn't recognise turn up (and there was a right hoo-hah when some did...)

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Jun 2020, 9:17pm

ossie wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Thanks, I can only find running totals on that link which is always a comfort to see where you live is in the lower end of the table. You are lower than us.
However unless you keep a regular track of totals how do you know if your weekly/ daily infection rate is going up or down? I’d find this information more use for me to make decisions.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jun 2020, 7:44am

Seems some Scots can be badly behaved as well. Apparently Glen Feshie has had unpleasant debris left. And, can you believe it, the Balmoral Estate.
John