Mc D's are back.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jun 2020, 7:55am

The local Tory MP at Bournemouth didn't seem to think it no big deal. This comment was unlikely to be because of an anti-Tory hissy fit.

Speaking from Bournemouth beach this morning, local MP Tobias Ellwood told BBC Breakfast: "This place was deluged and social distancing went out the window and that's why a major incident was declared, because the local authority and indeed the police couldn't cope."

"We need to learn from this and recognise that if we're going to be serious about tackling this pandemic then we need to be swifter in being able to provide support to local authorities who are unable to cope
John

pete75

Postby pete75 » 29 Jun 2020, 9:46am

ossie wrote:
pete75 wrote:
ossie wrote: It seems your post on this are driven more by your dislike of Bournemouth council than anything else. That the trouble with you right whingers - democracy is great but only when you get the result you want.

I see you edited and added this little kick in the nuts.

The Council leader is Lib Dem...guess who my household vote for..yes Lib Dem :lol:

That said we can differentiate between individuals who are up to the job and those who aren't. The current council is new and inexperienced and I'm afraid now a bit of a laughing stock.

And in a previous post you complained about the leader of the council making a fuss because he's anti tory.......

pete75

Postby pete75 » 29 Jun 2020, 9:48am

ossie wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
ossie wrote:[

Firstly the figures speak for themselves. This is one of the safest places in the UK..

Great at last someone who can show me where to get the figures for England health boards or council areas.

I’ve asked at least twice on these forums and no one has come forward with a link similar to the one I use for Scotland.
https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotlan ... s-tracker/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... d-19-cases

The BCP area of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole has had 492 cases for example, the rest of Dorset 372 both of which are near the bottom of the scale per head of population.

The point is that most of the people crowding onto that beach will be from elsewhere. Most cases of the virus contracted there will be recorded in the statistics for places other than Bournemouth.

ossie

Postby ossie » 29 Jun 2020, 10:18am

pete75 wrote:
ossie wrote:
pete75 wrote:

The Council leader is Lib Dem...guess who my household vote for..yes Lib Dem :lol:

That said we can differentiate between individuals who are up to the job and those who aren't. The current council is new and inexperienced and I'm afraid now a bit of a laughing stock.

And in a previous post you complained about the leader of the council making a fuss because he's anti tory.......

Yes she is and refuses to work with Conservative councillors full stop so the in fighting is immense. We want them all to work together, not these constant divisions within the council. There is plenty of experience there from all sides that has been ignored these last few weeks.

The Individual concerned is anti cycling, has threatened to close NCN25 and NCN2 to cyclists, believes all cyclists travelling at over 12mph on shared paths should 'get on the road' claiming she got the advice from this very forum ! The same person decided the Lord Baden Powell should be removed with immediate effect from Poole Quay without any consultation whatever over the BLM saga, then blamed the Police for telling her to remove it resulting in them releasing a statement saying they said no such thing.

Her previous experience was running a cafe now she's calling major Incidents on what was a typical summers weekend in Bournemouth. How do these Individuals get into these positions ?

pete75

Postby pete75 » 29 Jun 2020, 10:48am

ossie wrote:
pete75 wrote:
ossie wrote:

Yes she is and refuses to work with Conservative councillors full stop so the in fighting is immense. We want them all to work together, not these constant divisions within the council. There is plenty of experience there from all sides that has been ignored these last few weeks.

The Individual concerned is anti cycling, has threatened to close NCN25 and NCN2 to cyclists, believes all cyclists travelling at over 12mph on shared paths should 'get on the road' claiming she got the advice from this very forum ! The same person decided the Lord Baden Powell should be removed with immediate effect from Poole Quay without any consultation whatever over the BLM saga, then blamed the Police for telling her to remove it resulting in them releasing a statement saying they said no such thing.

Her previous experience was running a cafe now she's calling major Incidents on what was a typical summers weekend in Bournemouth. How do these Individuals get into these positions ?

It's called democracy. It's also how we got Brexit and Johnson running the country.

ossie

Postby ossie » 29 Jun 2020, 11:03am

pete75 wrote:
The point is that most of the people crowding onto that beach will be from elsewhere. Most cases of the virus contracted there will be recorded in the statistics for places other than Bournemouth.

That's not entirely true. The population of the BCP area is 400,000. Add outlying towns within a 20 / 30minute drive and you have a population of half a million. The beach is an extremely popular local attraction and with weather like we had the locals will flock to it just like anyone else.

Most of my family were down there, we've had a beach hut there for 20 years, many locals were there and probably outnumbered the visitors. As stated we had similar scenes on the May bank holiday and no spike in cases. We can only wait and see what happens.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jun 2020, 11:15am

According to Bournemouth Council - permanent officials not elected politicians - a normal rubbish collect for a June day is 5 tonnes (imv 5 tonnes too much).

Getting almost ten times that suggests it wasn't just another day. And even if everyone on the beach was local it isn't a pretty sight. If that is how the largely elderly burghers of Dorset behave it looks like they've all gone mad in the last few months.
John

pete75

Postby pete75 » 29 Jun 2020, 1:34pm

ossie wrote:
pete75 wrote:

That's not entirely true. The population of the BCP area is 400,000. Add outlying towns within a 20 / 30minute drive and you have a population of half a million. The beach is an extremely popular local attraction and with weather like we had the locals will flock to it just like anyone else.

Most of my family were down there, we've had a beach hut there for 20 years, many locals were there and probably outnumbered the visitors. As stated we had similar scenes on the May bank holiday and no spike in cases. We can only wait and see what happens.

Many of the people pictured on the beach appeared to be under 70. They can't possibly be Bournemouth residents. :lol:

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 29 Jun 2020, 1:36pm

pete75 wrote:[

Yes probably
The point I’m becoming very frustrated with is how, in England , do you guys know?
I’ll say it again the English totals are usually hidden within UK and as yet no one can point me to a place where I can easily see how many people, lets say In Lincolnshire or Nth Lincs and Google Health Board, tested positive yesterday.

I can easily find
E09E0293-EB6D-415F-8F4E-3047AE16FF4C.jpeg

In England ?? Does anyone even know how many were tested yesterday let alone the percentage of positives.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 29 Jun 2020, 1:37pm

Mick F wrote:How can they be called "restaurants"?

They look more like little churches.

When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 29 Jun 2020, 1:45pm

ossie wrote:As stated we had similar scenes on the May bank holiday and no spike in cases. We can only wait and see what happens.

Again I ask how do you know?
Sorry to sound repetitive but unless you’ve monitored that total daily then aren’t you just guessing? Let’s say you’ve only a total of 300 but if that total had only been 200 before the May BH then wouldn’t an extra 100 have been a spike? Yet because the total is low you say there has been no spike. :(
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

ossie

Postby ossie » 29 Jun 2020, 8:07pm

Paulatic wrote:
ossie wrote:As stated we had similar scenes on the May bank holiday and no spike in cases. We can only wait and see what happens.

Again I ask how do you know?
Sorry to sound repetitive but unless you’ve monitored that total daily then aren’t you just guessing? Let’s say you’ve only a total of 300 but if that total had only been 200 before the May BH then wouldn’t an extra 100 have been a spike? Yet because the total is low you say there has been no spike. :(

Our local newspaper has been reporting cases on a regular basis, also deaths . Likewise the site I linked to in the Guardian is updated daily. Twitter is updated on a regular basis.

I'm sure if we get a significant rise in any way, shape or form we will hear about it. Our council will be absolutely desperate to blame these day trippers / the Government and anyone else.

ossie

Postby ossie » 29 Jun 2020, 8:42pm

Oldjohnw wrote:According to Bournemouth Council - permanent officials not elected politicians - a normal rubbish collect for a June day is 5 tonnes (imv 5 tonnes too much).

Getting almost ten times that suggests it wasn't just another day. And even if everyone on the beach was local it isn't a pretty sight. If that is how the largely elderly burghers of Dorset behave it looks like they've all gone mad in the last few months.

It wasn't 'just another day' and I don't think anyone has stated otherwise. It was a heatwave event that had been forecast well in advance. Perhaps the council could provide rubbish tonnage totals for this type of weather phenomenon in years gone by or a typical day in July / August when the temperature is in the 30's. It wouldn't be a pretty sight.

The rubbish problem has been historical, its a society thing. Look at the rubbish around Pier head in Liverpool the other night, look at the rubbish left at Glastonbury every year . I'm not sure what point this is proving other than saying the beach was busy, which is nothing unusual for these parts.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 Jun 2020, 8:45pm

If one can bring the full containers, one can surely take them home empty
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jun 2020, 10:07pm

ossie wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:According to Bournemouth Council - permanent officials not elected politicians - a normal rubbish collect for a June day is 5 tonnes (imv 5 tonnes too much).

It wasn't 'just another day' and I don't think anyone has stated otherwise. It was a heatwave event that had been forecast well in advance. Perhaps the council could provide rubbish tonnage totals for this type of weather phenomenon in years gone by or a typical day in July / August when the temperature is in the 30's. It wouldn't be a pretty sight.

The rubbish problem has been historical, its a society thing. Look at the rubbish around Pier head in Liverpool the other night, look at the rubbish left at Glastonbury every year . I'm not sure what point this is proving other than saying the beach was busy, which is nothing unusual for these parts.

I don't get your point. Whoever left the rubbish, however busy, whatever the heat, regardless of a virus or whoever is the local council leader, whichever beach or Scottish glen, 50tonnes of rubbish whether in June, July or August is appalling.
John