Mc D's are back.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ossie
Posts: 1026
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby ossie » 29 Jun 2020, 10:49pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
I don't get your point. Whoever left the rubbish, however busy, whatever the heat, regardless of a virus or whoever is the local council leader, whichever beach or Scottish glen, 50tonnes of rubbish whether in June, July or August is appalling.


You think I'm somehow condoning rubbish on a beach now :roll:

You posted the tonnage to prove a point.I'm saying its perfectly normal irrespective of what you and I think of it.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4507
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Oldjohnw » 30 Jun 2020, 2:26am

ossie wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
I don't get your point. Whoever left the rubbish, however busy, whatever the heat, regardless of a virus or whoever is the local council leader, whichever beach or Scottish glen, 50tonnes of rubbish whether in June, July or August is appalling.


You think I'm somehow condoning rubbish on a beach now :roll:

You posted the tonnage to prove a point.I'm saying its perfectly normal irrespective of what you and I think of it.


I have no point to prove. You dismissed the claim saying it was just a useless former cafe operator who hated the Tories. I pointed that the Tories were in agreement with her.

According to the local authority the rubbish was not
perfectly normal. It was almost 10 times normal. I have no other view apart from based on information provided by the LA. If they have it wrong, or are twisting data for reasons of their own, I have no knowledge. I have not, it happens, mentioned the consequence for the spread of the virus: I have limited my comment to quoting local people who might normally have some knowledge about the quantity of rubbish. You disagree with them, which is your privilege, although you have come up with no alternative data.

I will leave this now.
John

ossie
Posts: 1026
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby ossie » 30 Jun 2020, 10:27am

Oldjohnw wrote:According to the local authority the rubbish was not
perfectly normal. It was almost 10 times normal. I have no other view apart from based on information provided by the LA. If they have it wrong, or are twisting data for reasons of their own, I have no knowledge. I have not, it happens, mentioned the consequence for the spread of the virus: I have limited my comment to quoting local people who might normally have some knowledge about the quantity of rubbish. You disagree with them, which is your privilege, although you have come up with no alternative data.

I will leave this now.


Yes I can see you're arguing for the sake of it .The Council collect 2000 tons of waste a year from the beach, most of that in July/ Aug so perhaps do some calculations. I've lived here for 45 years, rubbish has always been an issue when everyone flocks to the beach, there have been campaigns, slogans , press reports going back generations. You will get ten times more rubbish on the beach when you get ten times more people and this is what happened. Ten times more people on this beach isn't unusual in exceptional weather. Camping on the beach Isn't unusual, parking problems aren't unusual,fights and anti social behaviour aren't unusual, gridlock on the M27 isn't unusual, the queue for Devon actually starts just outside Ferndown, north of Bournemouth, that's not unusual. This isn't a village on the beach, its the drug capital of the UK, one of the busiest resorts in the UK with all of the issues that come with it, including a massive night time economy. Forget the genteel OAP bit and please don't feel so outraged, its a major conurbation with a population bigger than places such as Stoke, Wolverhampton and Leicester.

I appreciate you probably don't exactly live in a tourist hot spot but this is what happens when the sun comes out in a town that gets nearly 7 million visitors a year.

The council are saying 5 tons is normal for a typical June day, I'm not sure why you keep banging on about this as it wasn't a typical June day, it was a heatwave event with a vast number of visitors. Yesterday was a typical June day, cool, breezy with a few sunny intervals, average temperature, a few people on the beach, cyclists pedestrians, a busy promenade. The council probably collected 5 tons of rubbish this morning, along 8 miles of beach.

I'll also leave it here as the thread is about McDonalds. Can I just add that we are appalled by the rubbish every year however the visitor numbers was nothing out of the ordinary, the council simply failed to prepare and deal with it properly for the second time in a month.
Last edited by ossie on 30 Jun 2020, 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13572
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Cyril Haearn » 30 Jun 2020, 10:34am

Yes, I remember my first visit to McD, 1984, there were not so many branches, had to go to Birmingham to find one :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 49223
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Mick F » 30 Jun 2020, 12:33pm

My first visit was in 1988 in Singapore ........ of all places.
Not impressed with the "burger" or Singapore.

I remember Singapore from back in 1971 and it was a fantastic place. We were there for a couple of months.
By the time of my next visit in 1988, they'd ruined it.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5112
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Paulatic » 30 Jun 2020, 12:51pm

My first visit, and can’t say only, visit was the 6th July 1988. Great memory you think? No it was the day of the Piper Alpha disaster and we were in Esbjerg waiting for the ferry. End of a weekend trip to Legoland with children and Grandad. It was Grandad who wanted chicken nuggets we’d gladly of gone nowhere else.
My second and last visit around five years ago while caring for a severely Autistic boy who loves McD. He loved it I was severely underwhelmed. I think mother had a word with him and he would never ask me again for McD he saved that for other carers. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2378
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Ben@Forest » 1 Jul 2020, 6:58am

Mick F wrote:My first visit was in 1988 in Singapore ........ of all places.
Not impressed with the "burger" or Singapore.

I remember Singapore from back in 1971 and it was a fantastic place. We were there for a couple of months.
By the time of my next visit in 1988, they'd ruined it.


Or perhaps you'd got older.... :wink:

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2378
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Ben@Forest » 1 Jul 2020, 7:13am

ossie wrote:I'll also leave it here as the thread is about McDonalds. Can I just add that we are appalled by the rubbish every year however the visitor numbers was nothing out of the ordinary, the council simply failed to prepare and deal with it properly for the second time in a month.


Can l just ask if the figure of 22 tonnes was based on all rubbish (in bins, next to overflowing bins, on the promenade and strewn across the beach) or actually just that on the beach?

For me the figure 22 tonnes 'on Bournemouth beach' sounded hyperbolic because it simply suggested litter on the beach itself and a quick mental calculation worked out at around 100 kg of rubbish every hectare, which seemed unfeasibly high.

(I've never been by the way!)

Ta.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13572
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Mc D's are back.

Postby Cyril Haearn » 1 Jul 2020, 7:30am

Maybe it was a 22 ton capacity container, not full

Please to get back on topic, talk about mcburger. I saw an excellent idea, packaging from the drive-in is to be marked with registration numbers of the customers vehicles :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies