Do You Ever Go To The Beach?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 26

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I just cant see the attraction of "going to the beach" if that means what the pictures we have been shown on the newspapers or websites. Crowded together, hot boiling sun and sand that burns your feet or retinas. The only good thing about the seaside is the sea breeze and clean air but not swiming in sewage
Oldjohnw

Re: Do You Ever Go To The Beach?

Post by Oldjohnw »

As shown elsewhere, I live quite close to empty and clean beaches. So quite t regular visitor.
John
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Yeah fishing, but seeing the rabble in the papers and with this virus I will not be going anywhere
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I do go to the beach if it’s deserted and has firm sand being landlocked all my days I can get great pleasure from sea air.
I would never go to a beach like the one pictured in Bournemouth and have to share in the detritus of all those people. I can only assume they all live somewhere really bad to subject themselves to that misery.
I lost sixpence in the sand on a Sunday school trip at Redcar as a child and I think took against that sort of thing ever since :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'm about 25 miles from the Jurassic coast. I wont be going anywhere close until sept when the schools re-open. Even the out of the way beaches and the whole coastline will be heaving with all those folk who are on a staycation. Bad news for cyclists as I see sales of motorhomes and caravans have taken off so this is where the next shortage will occur and it will only get worse when caravan parks reopen too. If you think durdle door was busy wait until the caravan park at the top of the cliff reopens. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Used to live near the beach, never went at busy times, a few days a year thousands of human lemmings gather there. They are from away, of course :wink:

Mind, the coast is like the Loch District, more than ten minutes walk from a car park one may find oneself quite alone :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, we go to the beach, but NEVER any like the ones in the news.

All sorts of beaches, and I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone wants to lie on a beach with thousands of people around them.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The pictures are taken with long lenses, there is lots of space really :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Syd

Post by Syd »

My nearest beach is less than 30 metres from my front door so I guess I go more often than others.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I've just heard that Dominic Raab, UK Foreign Secretary, has announced the closure of the following beaches:

Bournemouth, Doncaster, Swindon and Coventry.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:I've just heard that Dominic Raab, UK Foreign Secretary, has announced the closure of the following beaches:

& also Ruislip London ( I bet you didnt know they had a beach)

Ruislip Beach
Ruislip Beach

Ruislip Beach
Ruislip Beach

Ruislip Beach
Ruislip Beach
Lakelander

Post by Lakelander »

Ow do,
I do not understand the concept of going to a beach to lie down all day in the sun.So called foreign beach holidays do not appeal either.Going miles just to lay in sand seems to be a wasted day to me.I will walk along quieter beaches when at the coast but I’m more of a mountain person.
The recent photos of Bournemouth are my kind of hell and it what I would imagine Benidorm to be like on any given summers day.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Yes, we go to the beach, but NEVER any like the ones in the news.

All sorts of beaches, and I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone wants to lie on a beach with thousands of people around them.

Nor me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I've just heard that Dominic Raab, UK Foreign Secretary, has announced the closure of the following beaches:

& also Ruislip London ( I bet you didnt know they had a beach)

100_3657.JPG

100_3650.JPG

100_3649.JPG

Drove past the end of the road that leads to it many times. Never went down, for reasons unknown, but regretted now I don't work in that area.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Lakelander wrote:Ow do,
I do not understand the concept of going to a beach to lie down all day in the sun.So called foreign beach holidays do not appeal either.Going miles just to lay in sand seems to be a wasted day to me.I will walk along quieter beaches when at the coast but I’m more of a mountain person.
The recent photos of Bournemouth are my kind of hell and it what I would imagine Benidorm to be like on any given summers day.

Despite living so close to one I don’t get the lying around on one all day either.

Happy to go for a walk along it and dip my toes in the water on a hot day then sit with a coffee before heading home.