Facebook

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Facebook

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see Facebook are now going to give truth warnings with political posts.

Facebook imv don't give a damn about truth. But they did care about their share price when Unilever amongst others pulled the plug on advertising.
John
simonineaston

Re: Facebook

Post by simonineaston »

I thought hard about using FB and concluded that as we know so much about the company's disgraceful attitutude to several major threads, for example data, tax and so on, there was no way I could continue to carry on using an account, so I don't anymore. To continue to do so seemed to me the worst sort of personal hypocrisy...
As a general rule, it's perhaps as well to recall the modern motto, "If the app you're using appears to be free, that's because you're the product..."
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I stopped using FB about 4 years ago. I do use Instagram, however, which probably puts me in the hypocrite category!

In defence, whilst it is now a Zuckerberg owned facility, it generally has a different purpose and function.
John
Syd

Post by Syd »

I set up Facebook using a mobile number I was about to change and set it not to sms me any alerts. They don't have an email address for me. The acount is set up with no friends and only 'friends of friends' can add me as a friend; in other words no one.

I use it to interact with my running and cycling clubs only so unless they share fake news I don't see it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Syd wrote:I set up Facebook using a mobile number I was about to change and set it not to sms me any alerts. They don't have an email address for me. The acount is set up with no friends and only 'friends of friends' can add me as a friend; in other words no one.

I use it to interact with my running and cycling clubs only so unless they share fake news I don't see it.

Sounds like a good plan.
John
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I can do without the vast majority of Farcebook content. I’ve got a few useful groups on there, and that’s the only reason I bother with it. Random idiots constantly attention seeking, I could do without.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I guess it's a good few months since the last anti-facebook thread.

It's easy.

Facebook isn't a replacement for this forum - or indeed most things.
Mark your profile private and "friend" only the people you actually want to hear from.
If folk are annoying then unfriend or block them - if they're annoying but family like my BiL then simply "unfollow" them that way you won't see their posts (which in the case of my BiL means all Britain First style crap) but still remain "friends".

It will serve ads because it needs to make money, the best way to give them feedback is to click on the ads and mark them as whatever.
The good thing about this sort of feedback is that they hear it - if you simply stop using it then they have no real feedback other than churn numbers.

For what it is it works well, whilst alternatives exist they nearly all suffer from the same problem in that most of the people you want to hear from only exist on a subset of them.
And if you're a yoof or the folk you want to hear from are yoofs then you've got the tedious issue of jumping platforms every few months along with the problem that some people don't make the jump so you end up with several platforms. (Some alternatives only really work on mobile devices too which makes them useless for me) on the plus side even yoofs tend to have FB accounts even if they rarely use them so you can still contact them.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

dont use it , never have, never will. any one who depends on it for comms not my type. end of faecebook.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

This thread is not just another about whether or not to use Facebook but it relates to a specific and important development.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Question, How can anything that is utterly pointless have a "Specific & Important development"? That is unless is to announce that it is closing down :roll: MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote:Question, How can anything that is utterly pointless have a "Specific & Important development"? That is unless is to announce that it is closing down :roll: MM

Some thought it useful, otherwise there would be no need.
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Syd wrote:I set up Facebook using a mobile number I was about to change and set it not to sms me any alerts. They don't have an email address for me. The acount is set up with no friends and only 'friends of friends' can add me as a friend; in other words no one.

I did the same only with a completely fake name DOB phone number etc then inform the people I need to be in contact (who aren't on proper websites or groups whose perfectly good websites have been abandoned in favor of a Facebook page ) with who I really am. I don't think Facebook should have a right to know your name, email address or phone number.

It's one long unorganized list of drivel. It's a necessary evil so I unashamedly rip the pish out of it.
I am here. Where are you?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Question, How can anything that is utterly pointless have a "Specific & Important development"? That is unless is to announce that it is closing down :roll: MM

Some thought it useful, otherwise there would be no need.

or dont have anything better to do? you can spend a life time glued there.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can spend a life glued HERE.
:D
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cowsham wrote:

I did the same only with a completely fake name DOB phone number etc then inform the people I need to be in contact (who aren't on proper websites or groups whose perfectly good websites have been abandoned in favor of a Facebook page ) with who I really am. I don't think Facebook should have a right to know your name, email address or phone number.

It's one long unorganized list of drivel. It's a necessary evil so I unashamedly rip the pish out of it.

The only facts FB have on me is my name* and what groups I am a member of. Phone number changed two days after I signed up [emoji2]

*my real name is very common. I Googled it once and couldn’t find anything associated with me in the first 200+ pages of results. Add one simple thing, my line of work, and I’m top of page one, or close to it.