Do you really want to go to heaven?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Do you really want to go to heaven?

Postby mercalia » 29 Jun 2020, 10:14am

For some reason I got thinking about Christianity and what happens when you go.

seems like afterlife rather a bore to me? who would want it?

no cycling or cycle tours, no Cyling Uk forum, no (stealth) camping, no holidays to Crete or India, no pubs, no east enders or coronation street, no Glastonbury or concerts, no pop stars, no carnal delights, no snow, no rain, no pets, no Big Macs, no going to work, no office parties, no facebook or twitter, no lying in bed on a Sunday, no kids, no birthdays, no xmases.. .. you can add your own. seems a lot of nos to me. Just an eternity of praising god. Not going to be many people there?

Seems like Christianity is in deep trouble. And is doing nothing about it?

Maybe the people of the middle ages whose life was nasty brutish and short ( Hobbes) needed some thing to hope for ( and the rich and powerful needed to keep the proles in check) but not now? Take away heaven and the need for forgiveness goes for a burton and so does Mr J.C?

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Do you really want to go to heaven?

Postby Mick F » 29 Jun 2020, 10:40am

Red Dwarf episode.

"Better than Life" ................ total immersion video game.

Within the game, the group finds that makes their deepest desires come true – Cat has Marilyn Monroe and an alternate version of mermaid (top half fish, bottom half woman) as girlfriends; Lister has wealth, eating caviar-covered vindaloo and playing golf; while Rimmer, with a physical form, leads an admiral's life with drinks, parties, and a wonderful wife.

I know it all goes wrong because it's a sitcom, but the idea sounds good to me.
Mick F. Cornwall

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 29 Jun 2020, 10:47am

Mark Twain said "Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

irc

Postby irc » 29 Jun 2020, 11:05am

Does it not depend which guidebook you have read on heaven?

Pendodave

Postby Pendodave » 29 Jun 2020, 11:25am

Heaven... heaven is a place... is a place where nothing.. nothing ever happens...
I think that the Talking Heads may have been onto something.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 Jun 2020, 11:31am

Please to add a poll with more choices than just yes + no

I live in a fairly heavenly place :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

peetee

Postby peetee » 29 Jun 2020, 12:13pm

Hmm, who can say what it’s like, really? There might be all sorts of stuff waiting that mere mortals cannot conceive of.
Hundreds of years ago life for common people was pure drudgery.
Homes were cold, damp, dark and dirty. Daily life was hand-to-mouth fight for survival with nothing ahead but a decline to ill health and death. The sight of a cathedral to these people must have been beyond conception. To walk in and see the light flowing through the stained glass and hear the harmonious choral voices echoing round the building was surely wonderous and captivating beyond belief.
I am quite certain, in the blur of information and imagery that is the modern world, we could not produce anything that could come close for sheer emotional and spiritual impact.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 29 Jun 2020, 12:18pm

Hell is other people. Or at least that's what Sartre had in his play 'No Exit'. Which also means lighthouse keepers must've had quite a lot of hell.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 Jun 2020, 12:29pm

Is heaven a place or a state?
IMO to perceive heaven as a place to go to after death whilst residing in a physical vehicle ie; a body,is to see it as a place similar to the here and now with all that goes with that theory.
Whereas to accept it as not being a place but as a state of purely spiritual existance is an entirely different concept.

IMHO either is purely speculation,various religions teach of heaven and it's opposite hell but no one really knows and so think up man made ideas of the sublime or ridiculous to frighten people enough into aiming for heaven,and in doing so avoid hell's consequences.
It's a basic psychological idea in an attempt to keep the masses in check and in their place,to a certain degree it works until people see through it.At that point the individual has a choice of either being good or being bad or the whole spectrum between the two,most peope are a bit of both though generally aiming for good as they see.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jun 2020, 1:30pm

I don't have a clue.
John

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 29 Jun 2020, 1:56pm

If its there, yes please. My Mrs died last week, I loved her very much and I would love to think I would be seeing her again. But, I am not a Christian and I dont believe an afterlife awaits us.

As for Christians, there are plenty around here, Church attendance is very strong. I know many and many of them are wonderful people doing there bit for others. They have been very supportive of me through the last 3 awful years. So, dont write Christians off. Even though my wife was not a believer like me we will say the Lords prayer at her funeral for them.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 29 Jun 2020, 2:02pm

al_yrpal wrote:... My Mrs died last week ...

All the best at what would be a difficult time in any circumstances. Lockdown just puts the brass knobs on.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 Jun 2020, 2:13pm

Al
My sympathies at a very difficult time for you and your family.
Whilst it's no consolation,at least she's now out of her suffering.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jun 2020, 2:26pm

Al I am so sorry. My sincere condolences and very best wishes.
John

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 30 Jun 2020, 7:53am

Very sorry to hear of your sad loss Al.