Donating bodies to Science?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Donating bodies to Science?

Postby mercalia » 10 Jul 2020, 11:05am

Navara

Re: Donating bodies to Science?

Postby Navara » 10 Jul 2020, 11:17am

Once I'm dead they can do whatever they want with my shell.I don't want a little stone monument surrounded by other little stone monuments leaving those left behind feeling they have to visit "out of respect".

What has happened at that university is on the other hand nothing short of criminal!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Jul 2020, 12:34pm

Mrs Mick F's grandmother always said that she wanted to leave her body to science. It was in her will I believe.
So, after her death, Mrs Mick F's mum got in contact with the hospitals etc and offered the body for science .............. and no-one wanted it. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 10 Jul 2020, 1:07pm

Hi "Soylent Green" :shock: :roll: :lol: MM

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 Jul 2020, 2:58pm

Many decades ago in my first year at university I was friends with a first year medical student and a first year *medical science student. They often told me what fun the had in dissection classes on bodies left for medical science.

Whilst there's much to be learned by studying cadavers it appears most end up in rather childish and disrespectful first year medical students' hands. I'd be dead by then so no problem for me but it's the living who still care about you after your death that I think matter more? So I'll not leave my body to medical science. Of course that's not my choice but the choice of my next of kin as my carcass would become their property I believe.

*Medical science course was for people who just missed out on a medical student place. They study with the medical students right the way through the first two years at least but cannot qualify as doctors. Unless they are outstanding in their first year when they can theoretically get bumped up to medic course. That's how they explained it.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 10 Jul 2020, 3:15pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi "Soylent Green" :shock: :roll: :lol: MM

The Simpsons....

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 10 Jul 2020, 3:49pm

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F's grandmother always said that she wanted to leave her body to science. It was in her will I believe.
So, after her death, Mrs Mick F's mum got in contact with the hospitals etc and offered the body for science .............. and no-one wanted it. :wink:

That's pretty much standard, I understand - they're hopelessly oversubscribed with offers.

rjb

Postby rjb » 10 Jul 2020, 4:06pm

They're dredging up old news there. If you read the article it dated back to 2016. Theres been a lot of water under the bridge since. Are they so short of sensationalist headlines that they have to regurgitate this rubbish to keep us entertained.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 10 Jul 2020, 6:11pm

well if it happens one place it can happen elsewhere. Tangled Metal suggested a less than respectful attitude to dead bodies.

Gravity Man

Postby Gravity Man » 10 Jul 2020, 9:00pm

Available on BBC R4 as a podcast is a programme from one of Joan Bakewell's two excellent series of programs from 2016 and 2017 'We Need to Talk About Death" called "Give My Body To Science".

Search on the BBC website for WeNeedToTalkAboutDeath-20171213-GiveMyBodyToScience.mp3

The podcast explains in detail why so many people leave their bodies to science, how to do it, what happens to the bodies, what happens in the case that the deceased is an organ donor, the full gamut of information. I recommend listening to this series and especially to this podcast.

I've no idea how they do things elsewhere in the world although I doubt that anywhere are corpses treated with anything other than great care, respect and dignity.

Win
If there's always biscuits in the tin, where's the fun in biscuits ? -- Gary from 'Men Behaving Badly' :mrgreen:

pete75

Postby pete75 » 10 Jul 2020, 10:49pm

Good idea. Lets donate Dominic Cummings body to science.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 Jul 2020, 11:25pm

I was talking about 25+ years ago when I mentioned the lack of respect to cadavers that the medical students showed. Pranks involving body parts was one thing mentioned, I've forgotten it all except for the certain idea that I do not want my family to to be donated to science as I don't want to think of their body being mistreated like I got told that did. Things may have changed but I don't believe that bodies left to first year medics to dissect are treated with respect even now. I don't know that for sure but 18 year olds aren't likely to be much more mature than when I was 18 and enrolling at university.

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 10 Jul 2020, 11:25pm

pete75 wrote:Good idea. Lets donate Dominic Cummings body to science.

Who's going to kill him?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Jul 2020, 7:06am

richardfm wrote:
pete75 wrote:Good idea. Lets donate Dominic Cummings body to science.

Who's going to kill him?

Who mentioned he'd need to be dead?

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 11 Jul 2020, 8:21am

Donate to science?

Over my dead body.
John