Neverspoons App

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Neverspoons App

Post by al_yrpal »

Syd wrote: 13 May 2021, 1:15pm
al_yrpal wrote:I have noticed that folk who dont like business owners politics tend to unfairly slate their products and businesses irrespective of their actual merits. One has to bear that in mind.

Al
I don’t mix the politics of any business owners and going to the pub but take each visit on it’s merit instead.

Wetherspoons have done some great things in saving many old buildings and turning them into a profitable business. Their business and, how they operate it, does not come into my train of thought.

But at the end of the day the service they provide, at the price point they do, is inferior to what I find acceptable to me and I am happy to pay more for better. Opinions of others will of course differ.
I have eaten at Le Manoir, The Hand and Flowers and Orwells fairly frequently but I still enjoy an occasional visit to the local Spoons for a decent well pulled pint and a simple curry.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:59am I have noticed that folk who dont like business owners politics tend to unfairly slate their products and businesses irrespective of their actual merits. One has to bear that in mind.

Al
I disliked Wetherspoons long before I had even heard of Tim Martin. Long before 2016 and Brexit. An uninformed comment, Al, if I might say so but a nice try!
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

In a fine spoons at the moment in a fine old building.
Drinking a fine strong beer that has come all of about 24 miles from the brewery.
Spotless.
Covid precautions faultless.
Ordered the beer from the app and even when I asked for it to be topped up requiring a return trip to the bar from my table they were politeness itself.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I need another ride into Plymouth in the next week or so, so I'll call in at the Spoons on Union Street. Last time I was there, pubs could only serve outside and there was a queue to even get into the garden .............. so I didn't bother.

Off topic warning!
I want to go into Plymouth to buy a return ticket to Exeter with my bike. Do it online, and you only get the option for bike booking right at the end ......... and there may be no room.

By speaking to a real person, I can ask about the bike booking first and pick a day when there is room.
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 3:29pm I need another ride into Plymouth in the next week or so, so I'll call in at the Spoons on Union Street. Last time I was there, pubs could only serve outside and there was a queue to even get into the garden .............. so I didn't bother.
No, I wouldn't queue for any pub. Between lockdowns I managed to get into the spoons in chichester without queueing (in place because of capacity restrictions) but then sat inside watching folk having to do the same. I was on a short mini adventure freecamp thing.

Enjoy your visit - i would mention the fine beer I am drinking but such its low green beer miles credentials I would locate myself.
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 11:46am Back in the early days, a Spoons was a pretty safe bet, in that they were clean, freshly decorated, served some decent beers, at good prices, and did a simple steak dinner at a very good price...
Plus you were safe from catching Covid in their pubs
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-wetherspoons-tim-martin-pubs-close-piers-morgan-boris-johnson-a9413971.html wrote:Coronavirus: Wetherspoons boss causes outrage after insisting he will keep chain open as 'virus doesn't spread in pubs'
The explicit government advice, received from public health experts, is to stay away from pubs, cafes and restaurants to limit the spread of the disease.

Yet the 64-year-old chairman of the pub chain claimed it was “over the top” to shut them, despite admitting he had no knowledge of the science.
Strange how he admits he " had no knowledge of the science" yet thinks he's qualified to tell people how and where they are safe from the pandemic virus!

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The old motto - "Just 'cos you've made up your mind doesn't mean you're right!"
Well actually it's not an old motto - I just made it up but hey.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 May 2021, 3:19pm I disliked Wetherspoons long before I had even heard of Tim Martin. Long before 2016 and Brexit. An uninformed comment, Al, if I might say so but a nice try!
Me too. Well, to be honest, I was a bit indifferent, but as a Real Ale devotee back in my student days, I entertained grave suspicions about the big brewery chains. As did most Real Ale fans. I don't think 'spoons' existed back then, but it would have been shunned if it had.

So what right have I now, as a virtual non-drinker, to have a go at an establishment which holds no interest for me? Well, for a start, our local branch, come a spell of fine weather (as we're having at the moment), puts its tables outside on the pedestrian precinct - in such a way as to block a set of public Sheffield stands. I complained about this some years ago, and shoved some of the tables aside myself - but they keep coming back. I'll see if the same situation occurs next Saturday (if the weather holds) - and perhaps take a photo or two.

Whatever else one may say of Mr Martin: as a bosom friend of the odious Mr Porage, he's probably not too keen on cycling and cyclists...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PH

Post by PH »

661-Pete wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 8:33pm our local branch, come a spell of fine weather (as we're having at the moment), puts its tables outside on the pedestrian precinct - in such a way as to block a set of public Sheffield stands. I complained about this some years ago, and shoved some of the tables aside myself - but they keep coming back. I'll see if the same situation occurs next Saturday (if the weather holds) - and perhaps take a photo or two.
Check with the council - I had a go at an ice cream vendor for parking their van in a way that blocked a row of city centre stands, turns out that the area the council have leased them.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 6:37pm The old motto - "Just 'cos you've made up your mind doesn't mean you're right!"
Well actually it's not an old motto - I just made it up but hey.
That’s very good Simon and does feel like it should be an old motto.
NUKe

Post by Sweep »

661-Pete wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 8:33pm , our local branch, come a spell of fine weather (as we're having at the moment), puts its tables outside on the pedestrian precinct - in such a way as to block a set of public Sheffield stands. I complained about this some years ago, and shoved some of the tables aside myself - but they keep coming back. I'll see if the same situation occurs next Saturday (if the weather holds) - and perhaps take a photo or two.

Whatever else one may say of Mr Martin: as a bosom friend of the odious Mr Porage, he's probably not too keen on cycling and cyclists...
seem to remember that you have raised this before.
i'd send an email to head office.
by all means take a photo and post - suppose you'd have to obscure faces of any folk.
Making assumptions about the attitude of the boss to cycling seems bizarre.
Any idea what his preferences are to do with:

sex
interior decor
swimming
badminton
polo
crown green bowling?
Sweep
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Sweep wrote: 4 Jun 2021, 8:23am Making assumptions about the attitude of the boss to cycling seems bizarre.
Lots of bizarre assumptions are made on this forum - but I think I covered myself by using the word 'probably' :D .

Anyway, the antipathy of his pal Porage (oh all right: 'Farage') towards cyclists is well documented.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

661-Pete wrote: 4 Jun 2021, 9:20am
Sweep wrote: 4 Jun 2021, 8:23am Making assumptions about the attitude of the boss to cycling seems bizarre.
Lots of bizarre assumptions are made on this forum - but I think I covered myself by using the word 'probably' :D .

Anyway, the antipathy of his pal Porage (oh all right: 'Farage') towards cyclists is well documented.
not really very relevant.
By all means take that pic, bring that other matter up with the management.
Sweep
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I'm off to Falmouth on the 12th, a weeks work then a weeks holiday. Hope the Wetherspoons down there is stocked up with Abbot ale!! :lol:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hey Sweep, What can possibly ever be wrong with Crown Green Bowling? Only the unbiased can see a problem
I say this with the caveat over "Plastic Bowls", much prefer Lignum Vitae!
Thumb Peg or Finger Peg, make your own choice. IGICB MM