Neverspoons App

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Neverspoons App

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Bonefishblues

Re: Neverspoons App

Post by Bonefishblues »

Baldrick, shirley?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Baldrick, shirley?

What does that mean?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Surely no one needs an app to be able to avoid a Wetherspoons?!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Back in the early days, a Spoons was a pretty safe bet, in that they were clean, freshly decorated, served some decent beers, at good prices, and did a simple steak dinner at a very good price. The pub landscape, back in the late '80s / early '90s was a very different place. Funny how things go...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Baldrick, shirley?

What does that mean?

I am guessing it may be a reference to popular culture.
Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 11.41.51.png
Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 11.46.36.png
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I love pubs, I like Wetherspoons for its attractive prices good karma and well priced basic pub grub as well as often saving nice old properties. I dont like the ones in airports often frequented by unwholesome drunkards. You dont need an app to seek out decent pubs, I have found the Good Pub Guide is excellent for that.

As ever, Tim Martins views arent appreciated by everyone so no doubt this and Wetherspoons highly competitive prices are the real reason for the appearance of this app.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 11 Jul 2020, 12:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Navara

Post by Navara »

I've always found Wetherspoons to be soulless places.Cheap,yes,but I'd sooner pay a little extra for a real pub experience.You can't knock them for what they do but from my experience once you get inside they all seem to look the same.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Cheap awful food, poorly paid staff, suppliers ground in to the ground to keep prices low and owner who spouts rubbish. However, there is no need of an app to avoid them.
Richard M
Cardiff
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Some of the ACME series winter audax winter rides start and finish at the wetherspoons in Witham.
It's a great place to come into out of the dark and cold and be able to get a hot meal.
It isn't gourmet food but overall I consider it good value.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Love wetherspoons pubs, to be honest they make up about 70% of all my pub visits. I prefer their clear prices, free coffee refills and cheap grub. I find other pubs much more expensive and hate the surprise ridiculous pricing of some items in such pubs. However the Wetherspoon experience can vary quite a lot but of the 50-60 different Wetherspoons I have been in only 1 or 2 have been disappointing. My other frequent pub chain is hungry horse so as you can tell I'm at the cheaper end of the market and they make up about 25% of my pub visits. I've been in about 5 or 6 different hungry horses in comparison.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'll be riding a decent longish ride to Plymouth in the next week and my plan is to take the train back to Gunnislake.

I'll be calling in at Evans for some new mitts ..................... and I may call in at Wetherspoon's for a beer or two prior to taking the train.
Main issue for me with them, is that you have to wait so long to be served, so tend to buy two pints straight away.

However, as the Virus Issue has reduced the footfall of pubs because some people don't want to go to them, it could be quiet and easy to get served.

However - (again!) - there's a good pub on Looe Street with a good secure beer garden that my bike would be happy in whilst I'm inside.
Porters. Good beer.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.36968 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

I’ve not been in a Wetherspoons in the past 15 years.

There are a great many, much smaller, chains and independents I’d rather give my custom too and where you can enjoy better quality, service and overall environment without spending a whole lot more.
Gravity Man

Post by Gravity Man »

One of the two Wetherspoons in Wrexham, actually a Lloyds No.1 Bar, is locally known as 'the Turkey Shed'.

I never got the nickname until I went in there for a cup of coffee one weekday morning. It's a former Midland Bank building, one large room with the bar running down one side. It was packed to the rafters with groups of middle aged to elderly men all nursing beers, apparently competing with each other to see who could be heard in Liverpool. Really ... it was as deafening as you would imagine Bernard Matthews' back garden to be and sounded much the same. And, just like turkeys, many of the customers had the male equivalent of 'bingo wings' ... loose skin under their chins that looked like turkeys' wattles.

The coffee was good though. And cheap :D
If there's always biscuits in the tin, where's the fun in biscuits ? -- Gary from 'Men Behaving Badly' :mrgreen:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

There is no Spoons near me but when I travelled elsewhere and visited them in the past I have disliked them. Grubby. But in their favour they often had some nice guest beers.
John