Neverspoons App

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Re: Neverspoons App

Post by Syd »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Syd wrote:The main reason they are popular is most likely because they are cheap, have a decent selection of beers and sell food that is ok.

I’d rather spend a bit more and be in better surroundings and better food.

E.g I’d walk past The Moon Under Water on Deansgate, Manchester, to go to The Living Room (though I see it appears to have closed sometime in the past three years).

That's the nub of it right there, I think.

Indeed. Pity that these places fail to survive.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bonzo Banana wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I bet W's make more money from their sales of high margin soft drinks than anything else.

Possibly but I just go with the free soda water myself, very nice and refreshing often with a bit of lemon or lime added and ice cubes and completely free in Wetherspoons or I should say free if you are ordering other products, food etc.

How can the Robber Baron who is Tim Martin have missed this? :o
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Bonzo Banana wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I bet W's make more money from their sales of high margin soft drinks than anything else.

Possibly but I just go with the free soda water myself, very nice and refreshing often with a bit of lemon or lime added and ice cubes and completely free in Wetherspoons or I should say free if you are ordering other products, food etc.

How can the Robber Baron who is Tim Martin have missed this? :o

Don't jinx it. It's basically their free water option that every restaurant has to provide but its far above crappy old tap water.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

simonineaston wrote:
I've heard a story about someone who would walk into a 'Spoons, pick a used mug off a table, rinse it in a toilet sink, go back and help themselves to free coffee.

That's a good example of how places like a 'Spoons deteriorate, both in real terms, as in, it may , or may not, happen....

Sadly it is true and even more sadly the person who did or does it is a cyclist....
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Ben@Forest wrote:
simonineaston wrote:
I've heard a story about someone who would walk into a 'Spoons, pick a used mug off a table, rinse it in a toilet sink, go back and help themselves to free coffee.

That's a good example of how places like a 'Spoons deteriorate, both in real terms, as in, it may , or may not, happen....

Sadly it is true and even more sadly the person who did or does it is a cyclist....
I expect I would, now I know, complete with my inadequate social skills... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sorry, one picks up a used mug, rinses it in the toilet, then drinks 2, 3, 4 cups of coffee?

I had two cups once, felt queer enough after :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Slasher Tim.... Sunak's Specials

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/07/ ... mers-back/ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Tim!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Sorry, one picks up a used mug, rinses it in the toilet, then drinks 2, 3, 4 cups of coffee?

had that effect after just one mug of their coffee. I thought it was me, maybe not....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Sorry, one picks up a used mug, rinses it in the toilet, then drinks 2, 3, 4 cups of coffee?

Hang on, you said you'd only been in once to use the toilets.
Several possibilities to square this i can think of,
You are just a keyboard warrior.
You are the infamous toilet coffee thief.

I think you need another interest - i recommend a good cultural visit/museum/art gallery.
Now open again.
Anything but this.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

peetee wrote:I’ve ‘spooned once, in Penzance. Rather a strange experience. Seemed to me to be a cross between an airport lounge In August and a ‘Hollywood movie’ ghetto soup kitchen.

In August 2020?
Interesting, almost makes me want to visit one :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

We went to the penzance one a few years ago, the Mrs sat outside with the dog, I went inside to be served and they wouldn't serve me because we had the dog with us! Yet the one at Poole has water bowls for dogs by the outdoor seating area!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philvantwo wrote:We went to the penzance one a few years ago, the Mrs sat outside with the dog, I went inside to be served and they wouldn't serve me because we had the dog with us! Yet the one at Poole has water bowls for dogs by the outdoor seating area!

sounds odd to me if the dog was outside.
sounds like a barmy misinformed manager.
You get them in all walks of life.
(I have the idea that inside dogs aren't allowed unless they are guide dogs - seem to remember a guide dog inside my local)
Sweep
Gravity Man

Post by Gravity Man »

Sweep wrote:
philvantwo wrote:We went to the penzance one a few years ago, the Mrs sat outside with the dog, I went inside to be served and they wouldn't serve me because we had the dog with us! Yet the one at Poole has water bowls for dogs by the outdoor seating area!

(I have the idea that inside dogs aren't allowed unless they are guide dogs - seem to remember a guide dog inside my local)

All Assistance Dogs, not just Guide Dogs.

This is from https://www.assistancedogs.org.uk/law/

Guide dog and assistance dog owners have important rights under the Equality Act 2010 (EA). The EA provides for people with disabilities to have the same right to services supplied by shops, banks, hotels, libraries, pubs, taxis and restaurants as everyone else.

Win
If there's always biscuits in the tin, where's the fun in biscuits ? -- Gary from 'Men Behaving Badly' :mrgreen:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sweep wrote:[]

From 10th September 2018
A statement from Wetherspoons states: "Please note that Wetherspoon has a policy of not allowing dogs in its pubs, including all outside areas. (Assistance Dogs excepted).
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote:
Sweep wrote:[]

From 10th September 2018
A statement from Wetherspoons states: "Please note that Wetherspoon has a policy of not allowing dogs in its pubs, including all outside areas. (Assistance Dogs excepted).

thanks for the info.
their call.
some owners are somewhat tolerant of their toilet arrangements.
and lots of families with small kids use spoons.
Sweep