Neverspoons App

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: Neverspoons App

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon all, We used to frequent a Wetherspoons in Penrith, "The Dog N Beck", that was before the first lockdown. I was told that no furlough stuff for "Greasyspoon", just dumped all of the staff! :shock: .
So they will not receive our custom again. Treatment of staff is essential. MM
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Interesting letter:

Angela Hartnett (The Caterer, 19 Feb) says that her East London neighbourhood has “great Japanese, great Indian and great fish and
chips” and that “companies like Wetherspoon destroyed” that sort of community. However, Ms Hartnett should consider a number of points
before criticising Wetherspoon.

Wetherspoon paid £764 million of taxes in 2019, one pound in every thousand collected by the government, a major community contribution. Wetherspoon employs 37,516 people, 15,032 of whom own shares in the company, and has won many awards for training
and staff development. In the last 15 years, Wetherspoon has awarded bonuses and free shares costing £428 million to staff, a sum equivalent to 55% of our profits after tax. Wetherspoon has won more awards from English Heritage and CAMRA for the design and restoration of old and listed buildings than any other company.

Wetherspoon also has more pubs listed in the Good Beer Guide than any other company and has the highest rating of any large pub
company on the local authority-run “scores on the doors” scheme, with an average score of 4.96 out of 5. Around 95% of Wetherspoon pubs are outside the central London area where Angela lives and works. Many of these areas don’t have “great Japanese” on the doorstep and Wetherspoon pubs, as their success indicates, are popular in local communities.

Yours sincerely
Eddie Gershon, spokesman
J D Wetherspoon plc
Watford, Hertfordshire
Syd

Post by Syd »

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:34pm... results may not be freely available
Food Hygiene Ratings are published:
https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/ ... ing-scheme

eg for Wetherspoons:
https://ratings.food.gov.uk/enhanced-se ... %5E/0/1/10

Food safety officer's full reports are usually but not always available to the public.

Jonathan
Having known the owner of a restaurant who dropped a star for something incredibly trivial it is very surprising to see the striking of 5 stars for Wetherspoons.

The individual I know was marked down when they found some food residue under a table leg in the dining area.

One can only assume Wetherspoons ‘dining area’ is classed differently somehow as it is a pub?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Syd wrote: 12 May 2021, 6:13pmOne can only assume Wetherspoons ‘dining area’ is classed differently somehow as it is a pub?
It's about forty years since I participated in an inspection, and I may well be out of date!

As with the response above this is only for England, Wales and Northern Ireland but the standards don't seem to be different for pubs:

I don't know if inspectors inspect lots of different types of businesses, and I expect they're as starved of funds as everything else in local government.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 12 May 2021, 8:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:49pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:34pm... results may not be freely available
Food Hygiene Ratings are published:

eg for Wetherspoons:
https://ratings.food.gov.uk/enhanced-se ... %5E/0/1/10

Food safety officer's full reports are usually but not always available to the public.
I've just seen that the ratings must be displayed to potential customers and the public in Wales and Northern Ireland... but not England!

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Jdsk wrote:
Syd wrote: 12 May 2021, 6:13pmOne can only assume Wetherspoons ‘dining area’ is classed differently somehow as it is a pub?
It's about forty years since I participated in an inspection, and I may well be out of date!

As with the response above this is only for England, Wales and Northern Ireland but the standards don't seem to be different for pubs:

I don't know if inspectors inspect lots of different types of businesses, and I expect they're as starved of funds as everything else in local government.

Jonathan
Was interested to see a Wetherspoons I checked on in Manchester scored very good for two out of three criteria and good for the third but still got 5 stars.

One does wonder what it takes to drop stars.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Syd wrote: 12 May 2021, 8:31pm
Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan
Was interested to see a Wetherspoons I checked on in Manchester scored very good for two out of three criteria and good for the third but still got 5 stars.

One does wonder what it takes to drop stars.
I think someone has to be seriously ill with salmonella. Anything less is simply not worth the paperwork.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

This gets you one star

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... et-office/

And l was actually looking for a more recent report on a different Chinese takeaway that got fined.

Many years ago and in a different part of the country entirely a restauranteur got fined for hygiene, l remember it well as we'd not long before asked him to quote for external catering for our wedding reception. We'd eaten at the restaurant a couple of times and it had, obviously, seemed great... :shock:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Havent experienced greasy tables or tummy upsets from my infrequent Spoons visits. It is what it is. People who like well kept ales seem to like it. I always liked the convivial atmosphere in our local one too. Not a place for gourmets thats for sure. Cosy Club for us next week. Nice basic chain type grub in interesting surroundings with great staff.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Terry: Look: all kitchens are filthy, Mr. Fawlty. In fact, the better the kitchen, the filthier it is. Have you ever read George Orwell's experiences at Maxim's in Paris?
Basil: No. Do you have a copy? I'll read it out in court!
True or not? One thing's for sure, neither Fawlty Towers nor Maxim's are on a par with the 'spoons. C'est la difference!

And I have had the odd 'mishap' after a resto meal. Hasn't everyone? I think, the incident of the cockroach scuttling across the table while I was eating my curry, and the following day spent worshipping at the 'porcelain altar', stand out. I never knew if the two events were connected.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All the Wethersoons we've been in have been excellent. Stayed O/N in a couple too.

Off the top of my head, I've/we've visited:
Plymouth, both of them.
Bodmin
Tavistock
Penzance
Portsmouth
Truro
Wick
London, Paddington

There may be others, but all have been excellent.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have noticed that folk who dont like business owners politics tend to unfairly slate their products and businesses irrespective of their actual merits. One has to bear that in mind.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

al_yrpal wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:59am I have noticed that folk who dont like business owners politics tend to unfairly slate their products and businesses irrespective of their actual merits. One has to bear that in mind.

Al
Yes, and of course not really knowing the politics/ethics of person or people of that lovely independent business just down the road. Lovely organic Thai food - but did he vote Brexit? :shock: Great health food shop but importing product X is not good for local people back in its country of origin (this was definitely true of quinoa when it suddenly became fashionable).... :shock:
Syd

Post by Syd »

al_yrpal wrote:I have noticed that folk who dont like business owners politics tend to unfairly slate their products and businesses irrespective of their actual merits. One has to bear that in mind.

Al
I don’t mix the politics of any business owners and going to the pub but take each visit on it’s merit instead.

Wetherspoons have done some great things in saving many old buildings and turning them into a profitable business. Their business and, how they operate it, does not come into my train of thought.

But at the end of the day the service they provide, at the price point they do, is inferior to what I find acceptable to me and I am happy to pay more for better. Opinions of others will of course differ.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ben@Forest wrote: 13 May 2021, 7:53am This gets you one star

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... et-office/
That takes me back to a cafe in Amble which had stayed open special to act as a checkpoint on a Northumberland Castles 300K ride. There were no customer toilets and through the day I believe customers were directed to public loos just outside. 9 pm at night they were closed so we got to use the staff toilet.
The door had been removed so that the area could be used as a food storage area. The pan sat at the back beyond crates of veg and in the corner a grubby basin with cold water and no soap. I’d eaten before I went but another guy went while waiting for his food. He didn’t eat it :cry:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info