Neverspoons App

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Neverspoons App

Post by 661-Pete »

philvantwo wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:02pm He's done well for himself and as Harry Enfield would say..
'He's considerably richer than yow'!!
Yeah - but that's not my reason.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well if you like going in pubs that charge you £3.60 for a pint then carry on!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My experience of Wetherspoon has been almost entirely dirty sticky tables and floors, grubby, dark and dinghy toilets generally cheap and good beer, cheap but tiny meals.

I realise I haven’t been to many but then, if the few I have been to put me off, why would I look out more?

I gave up Wetherspoons long before I knew about Mr Martin and his politics.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

philvantwo wrote: 11 May 2021, 7:19am Well if you like going in pubs that charge you £3.60 for a pint then carry on!
A controversial point - and I'm probably about to be labelled as sanctimonious - but I do think alcoholic drinks should not be cheap and affordable.

Just out of interest I looked up 'spoon's prices: tripadvisor says £1.50 to £2.60. Is that too cheap? Too much of a temptation to binge-drinkers and potential alcoholics?

Of course beer seemed to be a lot cheaper when I first set foot in a pub (late 1960s). About 1/9d a pint IIRC. What would that be in today's money allowing for inflation?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philvantwo wrote: 11 May 2021, 7:19am Well if you like going in pubs that charge you £3.60 for a pint then carry on!
Only £3.60 - don't know how lucky you are - well over £4 touching or even over a fiver is common in london.

Though can get a pint of very good stuff in my local spoons for £2.15.

I stress that I'm not criticising the pub (the economics of pubs are tough these days) but on a group ride a couple of weeks ago I was charged £4.60 for a pretty weak pint I can get in spoons for less than £1.70 - I normally don't drink it though as I find it rather bland.
Sweep
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Not been out since just before the last lockdown when Abbot Ale was 99p!
Won't be in a hurry to go out on the 17th either!I just can't be bothered.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My plan ......................

Saturday (if the weather is ok) I'll cycle down Route27 towards Plymouth and then ride out towards Ivybridge to cross the bridges over the A38 Exeter to Bodmin as part of my new quest. Ivybridge to Plympton will take in Bridges 28 to 33.

After that, I'm heading into Plymouth to Union Rooms, Wetherspoons, Plymouth where you can enter the garden via the gate on the road. I can use the "Neverspoons App" to order a couple of beers - Abbot Ale? - and a packet of salted peanuts, then afterewards ride up through the city to catch the 12:24 Gunnislake train home. Freewheel down to the village.

40miles or so total ride.

If it's not good weather on Saturday, it'll have to wait a day or so.
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

Going for a night out from work is a pain. All bar two want to go somewhere decent; the remaining two make a Yorkshire man seem generous and want to go to a Wetherspoons as it’s cheap.

Everyone else caves in to the demands of the two.

Result is me, and half a dozen others, form a separate group and do our own thing. Not exactly team work but sod going to a sticky floored hovel.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Check on the app before you go Mick F, a lot of Wetherspoons are rather low on a lot of ales!
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 May 2021, 8:26am My experience of Wetherspoon has been almost entirely dirty sticky tables and floors, grubby, dark and dinghy toilets generally cheap and good beer, cheap but tiny meals.

I realise I haven’t been to many but then, if the few I have been to put me off, why would I look out more?
This is the Wetherspoons at Spennymoor - called the 'Grand Electric Hall', (it used to look like that before lockdown anyway) and an interesting conversion of what was a cinema. Not grubby or dingy (and I have to say overall dingy toilets are not uncommon in pubs full stop).

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philvantwo wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:00pm Check on the app before you go Mick F, a lot of Wetherspoons are rather low on a lot of ales!
tis true - understandable because of current restricted outside only serving - luckily one near me has a mega amount of outdoor garden front and rear so lots of folk have descended upon them, including lots of students and young folk. So, strangely, their beer selection is actually better than it was before the god-given plague.
By the by, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton once went to this pub for a Sunday drink - good enough for the likes of me.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:00pm Check on the app before you go Mick F, a lot of Wetherspoons are rather low on a lot of ales!
Good info.
Yes, I'll check.
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote: 12 May 2021, 8:58am
Good info.
Yes, I'll check.
the alefinder on the app is a thing of wonder.
good excuse for a bike ride in whatever direction if you have a few near you.
Sweep
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Syd wrote: 11 May 2021, 9:04pm Going for a night out from work is a pain. All bar two want to go somewhere decent; the remaining two make a Yorkshire man seem generous and want to go to a Wetherspoons as it’s cheap.

Everyone else caves in to the demands of the two.
Something similar happened to me many years ago - just after my student days - but not about booze.. Touring Paris and Amsterdam with some friends, we then reached Brussels and were looking out some place to eat. Alas one of our number discovered that there was a McDonalds in the city - a relative newcomer to the high streets in those days - and got all hyperactive about it. I kid ye not, I had never heard of the name up till then (although I was familiar with Wimpy). So the rest of us acquiesced. This was the first of my two visits to that hallowed temple. The second was some years later, on a date with the future Mrs P - when we were stuck in Bromley with nowhere else open.....

Never again!!! :|
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

661-Pete wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:20am Alas one of our number discovered that there was a McDonalds in the city - a relative newcomer to the high streets in those days - and got all hyperactive about it. I kid ye not, I had never heard of the name up till then (although I was familiar with Wimpy). So the rest of us acquiesced. This was the first of my two visits to that hallowed temple. The second was some years later, on a date with the future Mrs P - when we were stuck in Bromley with nowhere else open.....

Never again!!! :|
At what price, clientele, environmental effect or ownership credentials do you deign to visit pubs, eateries or restaurants? Smells like Oxbridge snobbery to me.... :wink: