Neverspoons App

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Neverspoons App

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@bonefish
Same way as wotherspoons is subsidised, simples :wink:

Subsidy? Investment!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:@bonefish
Same way as wotherspoons is subsidised, simples :wink:

Subsidy? Investment!

Insightful as always, thanks.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One loves it or hates it, the latter in my case, forby I only visited one once, to use the toilets, which of course were hidden (are they accessible for disabled persons?)

Hoping for more Neverspoons toilet observations :wink:

You hated a world of something after a single visit?
Rather reminds me of folk who say
I went abroad once, hated it.

Gave up drinking 30 years ago, have no use for such etablissements
s

Ah i see.
There does seem to be a curious subculture abroad these days.
Folk saying they will boycott spoons who virtually never drink/never drink, don't actually go in or like pubs.
I assume you won"t be using the app then.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One imagines non-alcoholic drinks are available there too :wink:
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Cunobelin wrote:
richardfm wrote:Cheap awful food, poorly paid staff, suppliers ground in to the ground to keep prices low and owner who spouts rubbish. However, there is no need of an app to avoid them.

Unfortunately for us, the only pub in town with wheelchair access, enough space to access a table, an accessible loo, and table service that means you escape the odour of armpits as people lean over you to push in when you are at the bar

There are some redeeming features then.
Richard M
Cardiff
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One imagines non-alcoholic drinks are available there too :wink:

Yes I've been in Wetherspoons hundreds of times and perhaps 50-60 different Wetherspoons but I've never actually had an alcoholic drink in one as have always been driving. I think Wetherspoons make most of their money from alcohol sales so probably not their ideal customer. If I'm going on a trip to the beach and pop into one of the two Weymouth Wetherspoons I would typically have a vegetarian breakfast with soda water and their toast and preserves with a coffee with free refills and probably have 2 refills. All of that for about a fiver and sets me up for the day until an evening meal. Friendly staff, lovely old pubs. Love it.

I don't get the hate for the brand, many people buy products from horrific companies all over the world who have a history of exploitation and treating staff appallingly yet they are quite happy to spend money on those companies which not only are a much worse moral choice but damages our economy too which means more debt, more underfunded NHS etc and more deaths there. So many people seem happy to haemorrhage most of their money out of the country but still seem happy to complain about problems they themselves have caused as if someone else is to blame.

Whatever your politics you cannot run a economy on borrowing forever with a huge trade deficit. I probably have £100k of public sector debt, public sector pension deficit debt on my head despite not having done the damage to the economy myself. I did vote remain but bitterly regretted that decision after taking the time to look at the statistics on the office of national statistics site and realising how much damage has been done to the UK economy by being part of the EU. However personally I have no problem with companies who are pro EU, I myself was that way previously so it would be pretty unfair I guess to expect them to change their opinion with me. I was visiting Wetherspoons when I was pro EU and still visiting obviously when I'm now pro leave. Don't get me wrong though there are many companies who I boycott and those are mainly cosmetic companies who do animal experiments which I feel are unjustified for cosmetic purposes. I also boycott high margin premium products mainly because I simply don't have the money for them but also because they are massively damaging to our economy.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I bet W's make more money from their sales of high margin soft drinks than anything else.
Navara

Post by Navara »

Sweep wrote:
Navara wrote:This tells me that you have been in very few.

I don't know possibly 20 or 30?I didn't mean they were exact copies of each other like Mcdonalds etc but that they all had a similar layout and look about them inside.
The Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in Keswick is quite good inside as they've kept the Cells and Courtroom.
We had a works weekend in London a few years ago and we only drank in Spoons or Sam Smiths pubs.I can't remember most of them though :wink:
I found it quite amusing how soon the fist wavers and table bangers on our local Facebook page soon forgot about Mr Spoons policies once the pub reopened :lol: Folk do seem to have very short memories when their own money is involved.
To be fair though the staff did post to say they had actually been paid/retained under the lockdown.Our local Spoons was actually a pub previously(old coaching inn) but it had a bad reputation.It was a bit like the Wild West at weekends but has been completely different since Mr Spoon took over.

Interesting factoid.
There is a book available about Wetherspoons carpets.
Last edited by Navara on 12 Jul 2020, 10:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I generally like 'Spoons but I agree with some of the others here who say that they can be hit and miss.,,,our local one is a distinct 'miss' unfortunately.

I love the app' which is a doddle to use and gets you served so much quicker than standing at the bar-it's particularly good if you're ordering food.

BUT...The very best thing about Wetherspoons is.........NO DOGS ALLOWED !!!!!......Cheers Tim'... :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonzo Banana wrote:I don't get the hate for the brand, many people buy products from horrific companies all over the world who have a history of exploitation and treating staff appallingly yet they are quite happy to spend money on those companies which not only are a much worse moral choice but damages our economy too which means more debt, more underfunded NHS etc and more deaths there.

It's easy to say you don't understand another viewpoint if you make stuff up about holders of that view to make them into hypocrites!

It is quite easy to understand people wanting to avoid them. They are the Jeremy Clarkson of pubs. There are a wide range of reasons to avoid him.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Great idea
When I saw the word 'Neverspoons' I knew what it was about immediately

One wonders how mr spoons might counter. I fear 'Neverspoons' provides publicity for him too :?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonzo Banana wrote:I don't get the hate for the brand, many people buy products from horrific companies all over the world who have a history of exploitation and treating staff appallingly yet they are quite happy to spend money on those companies which not only are a much worse moral choice but damages our economy too which means more debt, more underfunded NHS etc and more deaths there.

It's easy to say you don't understand another viewpoint if you make stuff up about holders of that view to make them into hypocrites!

It is quite easy to understand people wanting to avoid them. They are the Jeremy Clarkson of pubs. There are a wide range of reasons to avoid him.

Well he is, perhaps. The pubs are just bits of brick, plaster, bodily secretions et al :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One loves it or hates it, the latter in my case, forby I only visited one once, to use the toilets, which of course were hidden (are they accessible for disabled persons?)

Hoping for more Neverspoons toilet observations :wink:

You hated a world of something after a single visit?
Rather reminds me of folk who say
I went abroad once, hated it.

Gave up drinking 30 years ago, have no use for such etablissements
They should be converted back to cinemas, stables, bookshops, train stations
Political views of mr w are off-putting too for me and many others

Yes - he has said he doesn't want remain supporters using his pubs. Looking at the socio-economic profile of remain voters they're probably not the sort of people his chain is aimed at anyway.

Sweep there's no need to state what's so bleeding obvious from a lot of your posts here.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:

Well he is, perhaps. The pubs are just bits of brick, plaster, bodily secretions et al :D

They certainly form a big part of the chain's unique aroma.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

glitch - post deleted
Last edited by Sweep on 12 Jul 2020, 7:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep