Neverspoons App

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Neverspoons App

Post by PH »

It's always feel it's a shame when this sort of negativity gets promoted. It seems more popular to be anti something than positive about the alternatives, as the article says they already have problems with other chains latching on. I'd rather chose something based on its merit rather than the perceived demerit of another. I'd rather use something more positive, a good pub guide, like the CAMRA one, though even that has led to some not so good pubs, and it says nothing about the owners politics or the way they treat their employees.
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:As ever, Tim Martins views arent appreciated by everyone so no doubt this and Wetherspoons highly competitive prices are the real reason for the appearance of this app.

Who do you think is against competitive prices?

Apart from Mr Martin saying us Europeans aren't welcome there, I've also no confidence in them cleaning enough to remove the virus when they never used to clean enough to remove the beer that sticks you to the floor and I doubt their boss will insist on deep cleans because Mr Martin said coronavirus doesn't spread in pubs anyway! https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 13971.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

On the whole l like 'em. After a long ride l don't think anywhere else in Kilmarnock would have been serving steak and chips after 10pm on a Sunday night.

And as far as l remember Wetherspoons spent millions renovating the Union Club (Union Rooms) in Newcastle when they took it over, and l don't mean a 'million pound makeover' but seriously more money which helped preserve it properly.

https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/union-rooms/
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote:Back in the early days, a Spoons was a pretty safe bet, in that they were clean, freshly decorated, served some decent beers, at good prices, and did a simple steak dinner at a very good price. The pub landscape, back in the late '80s / early '90s was a very different place. Funny how things go...

What"s happened to the spoons beer?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Navara wrote:I've always found Wetherspoons to be soulless places.Cheap,yes,but I'd sooner pay a little extra for a real pub experience.You can't knock them for what they do but from my experience once you get inside they all seem to look the same.

This tells me that you have been in very few.
While it is true that some of the shop conversions can be a bit dullish, despite the often clever internal conversions, in these days of obsessive branding it would be hard to think of buildings and pubs less alike.
For the very simple reason that many didn't start out as pubs at all
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ANTONISH wrote:Some of the ACME series winter audax winter rides start and finish at the wetherspoons in Witham.
It's a great place to come into out of the dark and cold and be able to get a hot meal.
It isn't gourmet food but overall I consider it good value.

I know that pub. Garden seemed niceish but it was dark by the time i turned up so i carried my bike inside (i think it rude to roll bikes inside) and plonked it in a side room next to my table. No-one batted an eyelid. Apart from the cheap often spectacularly good beer, it's this chilled (in the best sense, not chilled as in a pose) accommodating attitude I like.
Sweep
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Navara wrote: You can't knock them for what they do but from my experience once you get inside they all seem to look the same.

You haven't been in this one then:

https://www.hospitality-interiors.net/p ... spennymoor

I think it's pretty cool, it has a 'hip' 60s feel. But l have seen reviews from people, who hate it. What is definite is that it isn't 'your usual pub' and the times I've been there it has always been busy.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I try to avoid any place where my feet stick to the floor or arm sticks to the table.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I do wonder why this chain has been so successful (I make it the most successful pub chain), given its many faults (rather as I do with McDonald's).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One loves it or hates it, the latter in my case, forby I only visited one once, to use the toilets, which of course were hidden (are they accessible for disabled persons?)

Hoping for more Neverspoons toilet observations :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:I do wonder why this chain has been so successful (I make it the most successful pub chain), given its many faults (rather as I do with McDonald's).

Cheap. Quite good beer. Well located.
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One loves it or hates it, the latter in my case, forby I only visited one once, to use the toilets, which of course were hidden (are they accessible for disabled persons?)

You hated a world of something after a single visit?
Rather reminds me of folk who say
I went abroad once, hated it.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One loves it or hates it, the latter in my case, forby I only visited one once, to use the toilets, which of course were hidden (are they accessible for disabled persons?)

You hated a world of something after a single visit?
Rather reminds me of folk who say
I went abroad once, hated it.

Gave up drinking 30 years ago, have no use for such etablissements
They should be converted back to cinemas, stables, bookshops, train stations
Political views of mr w are off-putting too for me and many others
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

How would we subsidise these businesses that are reopened in their original guises? The ones, like the former Post Office in my local town, which closed, lay empty for some years, and then were purchased by Mr M and reopened under his brand. Meanwhile the PO operates out of the back of a convenience store.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

richardfm wrote:Cheap awful food, poorly paid staff, suppliers ground in to the ground to keep prices low and owner who spouts rubbish. However, there is no need of an app to avoid them.

Unfortunately for us, the only pub in town with wheelchair access, enough space to access a table, an accessible loo, and table service that means you escape the odour of armpits as people lean over you to push in when you are at the bar